It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:11 am

A Happy New Year 2019 (and a request)

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

A Happy New Year 2019 (and a request)

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 3:56 pm

Happy New Year to all with many future good wishes.

The request part, have been looking for ways to implement SysEx stop control. For a (could be not sure if it si a) Rodgers console with a broken C/A. Trying to find if there is a way to import SysEx messages via the console's MIDI input port. to permit HW/s C/A to control lighted drawknob (stops). Have been discussing this with John KInkennon. Haven't found much in the HW manual about SysEx so far. :?:

MIDI Ox reports these stop on/off messages being output from the console's MIDI out port:

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
0001CE49 1 2 F0 Buffer: 6 Bytes System Exclusive
SYSX: F0 31 40 03 02 F7
0001D1DB 1 2 F0 Buffer: 6 Bytes System Exclusive
SYSX: F0 31 00 03 02 F7
0001D6C9 1 2 F0 Buffer: 6 Bytes System Exclusive
SYSX: F0 31 40 02 0B F7
0001D95C 1 2 F0 Buffer: 6 Bytes System Exclusive
SYSX: F0 31 00 02 0B F7
0001E047 1 2 F0 Buffer: 6 Bytes System Exclusive
SYSX: F0 31 43 02 02 F7
0001E2FB 1 2 F0 Buffer: 6 Bytes System Exclusive
SYSX: F0 31 03 02 02 F7

Thoughts?

Rgds,
Ed

brooke.benfield

Re: A Happy New Year 2019 (and a request)

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi Ed;

I think that the HW manual says quite a bit about SysEx messages starting at page 221.

HW provides a lot of options for message types as inputs to virtual stops but only three options for output. The "Auto MIDI output (match to primary input settings)" looks interesting for your project. There's three SysEx input options available, Johannus 9/11-byte sys-ex , Viscount 6-byte constant sys-ex format and Generic MIDI sys-ex constant messages.Of the three, I think the Viscount and Generic options may have promise seeing that the console in question is generating simple 6 byte SysEx messages.

Try setting up a virtual stop with these options and see what HW spits back and what the console does with it. If it explodes.....well.....it is New Years and fireworks are appropriate. :lol:

I don't hold high hopes for the Viscount approach to actually work because bytes 2-4 will likely not be the same as what Viscount is doing and HW may not know what to do with it, but it should be easy to try. On the other hand, the Generic option could be just what you are looking for.

Another approach is to use MIDI-Ox to send a SysEx message to the console and figure out what values do what - no need to involve HW for that. Once you know the map of the console I'm sure John Kinkennon can come up with a custom microcontroller that would translate HW output into what the console requires.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

engrssc

Re: A Happy New Year 2019 (and a request)

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi Brooke,

Thanks or the info, Brooke. Finally got to page 221 last night. And yes, for sure worth looking into. I can display the sysex of what each stop does for on and off via MIDI Ox. Thinking of doing a copy and paste into HW to see if it can output what the console stop(s) need to function. If that communication can be established, we are halfway home. My first read thru of the manual was years ago and I just skimmed over that (end) section. Re-reading it, there's a huge wealth and scope of very important stuff back there.

There is a MIDI input port on the console, but have no idea (yet) what it will do. I know, so far, the console does not react to any note on/off MIDI messages sent to that MIDI input port. Using MIDI Ox as a tester is a good option.

If HW can't input and work with the console's stop sysex output messages, as an alternate, a little klutzy would be to install a encoder triggered by the stop's light signal. In other words, turning a stop on (or off) would trigger a (normal MIDI note on/off message for HW to use. Looking for a way to do a bi-directional stop control setup of course.

I have to do a total new c/a system as this console's c/a is broke. But that's a non issue. A more real issue is that the console is 75 miles away and presently being away for any length of time won't work for me.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to General discussion