It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 am

Adding a 4th manual - Appreciate an opinion

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

Adding a 4th manual - Appreciate an opinion

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 4:03 pm

I've been asking regarding where to mount a 4th manual (on a 3M) this 4th manual primarily to be used for Pianoteq. - Either as the lowest manual or as the top manual. So far I've got an equal number of "votes" for each position. The logic being if it were to be used reasonably extensively for Pianoteq, then as the bottom manual. Or just occasionally for a few notes here and there, then as the top manual. What say you?

There's also the possibility since it would have MIDI output, that it could be used in other ways such as a Solo manual. Or even switchable between Pianoteq and/or a Solo manual. Not sure about that as 'lesser' organists might find that too confusing. But then there's the issue that Armley Schulze is a 4 manual instrument with a Solo manual.

Rgds,
Ed

magnaton

Re: Adding a 4th manual - Appreciate an opinion

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 4:32 pm

Can't it be either or or? Creating a Floating Division for the desired sample set you could assign Pianoteq as the top or bottom manual on the fly. As a musician, it would feel more natural for the piano to be the bottom manual, especially when using both hands vs having to reach up to the 4th manual. If you review this video of Pierre Fracalanza you'll see what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdQbgdeVArY

Speaking of the Armley-Schultze, I've incorporated it on my 3 manual console by assigning the Swell and Echo as Floating Divisions. Three different routes are assigned to spare pistons:
The top manual is just Swell,
The top manual is just Echo,
The top manual is combined Echo & Swell

Danny B.

Antoni Scott

Re: Adding a 4th manual - Appreciate an opinion

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 5:26 pm

I say just add the fourth manual and worry about all the other stuff later.

Return to General discussion