It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

Hauptwerk MIDI port: Console vs Sequencer

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

wwzeitler

Hauptwerk MIDI port: Console vs Sequencer

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 8:04 pm

In Hauptwerk | General Settings, for the various 'Midi In Ports' options (namely, your various MIDI keyboards, etc.) one has the option "Console MIDI IN" vs. "Sequencer MIDI IN". (Likewise for 'Midi Out Ports').

Try as I might, reading the Hauptwerk documentation (including the 'info' panels in the "Hauptwerk | General Settings" dialog box) and trying the various combinations of settings, I am stumped figuring out the difference.

I would be very grateful for your insight!

William Zeitler

organtechnology

Re: Hauptwerk MIDI port: Console vs Sequencer

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 10:33 pm

wwzeitler wrote:In Hauptwerk | General Settings, for the various 'Midi In Ports' options (namely, your various MIDI keyboards, etc.) one has the option "Console MIDI IN" vs. "Sequencer MIDI IN". (Likewise for 'Midi Out Ports').

Try as I might, reading the Hauptwerk documentation (including the 'info' panels in the "Hauptwerk | General Settings" dialog box) and trying the various combinations of settings, I am stumped figuring out the difference.

I would be very grateful for your insight!

William Zeitler

Hi William,

'Console MIDI in' is used to play the organ from an external MIDI source while the 'Sequencer in' is to send MIDI information to the sequencer. The sequencer requires that you follow its rules but in recent times that has become closer to Standard MIDI Files. I think there is an explanation in the manual (pg. 225) and a compendium of MIDI data formats in the back of the manual.

When you record a MIDI track using the "Console" connected to the MIDI in ports the sequencer takes this information and changes it to suit the sequencer. For instance if you send a Piston pushed command to the sequencer, it goes to Hauptwerk and stores the stop changes for the stops assigned to that piston in the MIDI track being recorded. Starting on about page 217 of the manual is a lot of information about the MIDI implementation but it is kind of like drinking from a fire hose.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

csw900

Re: Hauptwerk MIDI port: Console vs Sequencer

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 10:43 am

Hi William

This is as I understand it (as an electronics design engineer).

Console input is what it says - it is a midi input which connects to your organ console. Your console can be anything from one manual upwards and includes stops and pedals. The Console input can learn the midi signals your console produces and use them to play the organ.

The Sequencer input is not well named but it expects to receive a midi input in the same FIXED format as the midi files produced by the organ. It can be used to play the organ from an external midi player.

The same applies to the Console and Sequencer outputs. The Console output produces the same midi signals as your console. The Sequencer output provides the same fixed midi format which would be recorded in a midi file produced by the organ.

csw900

Return to General discussion