It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:44 am

using a piston as a switch

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

fermata

using a piston as a switch

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 12:29 pm

Can a piston be programmed to act as a "switch"? -- for example, when playing a 3-manual sample set on a 2-manual organ, activating this piston switches the swell divisionals to choir divisionals. (Am I explaining myself clearly?)

IainStinson

Re: using a piston as a switch

PostSun Mar 17, 2019 1:24 pm

You can use floating divisions (described in the manual) to switch divisions connected to a particular physical keyboard.

You can assign a piston (key or computer keyboard key) to almost any function. Open the appropriate large control panel (View | large floating control panel) and autodetect the function you want assigned to the piston to operate. (Right click the control/switch on the floating control panel, select autodetect and press the piston (key or computer keyboard key) you want to operate that control/switch.) You probably need to set the option to toggle the control (see the autodetect dialog).

Iain

spanner

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 2:25 pm

I am very new to Hauptwerk, so new in fact that my organ is only just about to be delivered next week! Is it possible to have a switch / piston / key on a keyboard that will change from the present loaded organ to a different one? If this is described in the manual, please just refer me to the relevant page / section. I know how to assign 'stuff' to pistons - right click etc. but can it bring in a new organ without having to type on a keyboard or click on the screen?
Can it, for instance, load a previously saved piston setup for the same organ? So you have pistons set up for one piece and you press a piston and the contents of the piston setup changes to be more relevant to another piece.

IainStinson

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 5:10 pm

See "Favorite Organs" on pg 76 of the manual.

You can assign a midi input to load a specific favorite directly. Look at
General Settings | Advanced Midi Applications | Midi/key Triggers for Loading Organs and other global...

Iain

IainStinson

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 11:07 am

For pistons settings (combinations) see pg 81 - 86.

Hauptwerk has a very rich set of registration aids (including a stop stepper system and programmable crescendo pedal as well as multiple sets of combinations (piston settings) per organ) - it is worth reading about them in the manual.

Iain

spanner

PostSat Apr 20, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks very much Iain. I will read then check it all out when it arrives next week. Just knowing it can be done makes it worth reading - again!

Return to General discussion