It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:10 am

How to Avoid Windows 7’s End-of-Support Nags

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

How to Avoid Windows 7’s End-of-Support Nags

Frank-Evans

Re: How to Avoid Windows 7’s End-of-Support Nags

PostWed Mar 27, 2019 7:35 pm

Hi Ed,
Good to hear from you... I still believe that if a person is using a Windows computer for Hauptwerk that best bet is to never put it on line. Then there is no need for security patches or updates unless there is an issue with new hardware that requires a newer operating system. I still am running Win 7 Pro 64 Update 1 with no issues... All licensing needs are done with a thumb drive from another (protected) computer.... Just my rant.. :D

engrssc

PostWed Mar 27, 2019 8:26 pm

Hi Frank,

Pretty much been my position as well. Exception to that is when new, would be nice to have, products are developed that won't run on old machines. By old, I mean old in the sense of software and hardware as well. Could be under the heading of controlled obsolescence maybe? There was even a time when I was cheering 'Long live XP' :roll:

Rgds,
Ef

Organorak

PostMon Apr 01, 2019 3:58 am

The trouble with software development is that it can outpace hardware. I did upgrade to Win X only to have to "roll back" to Win 7 as my monitors and my soundcard didn't like Win X and wouldn't work properly. I suppose one day I will need to take the plunge and upgrade, if only because eventually my motherboard will die and I'll need a new computer, but until then I don't want to have to upgrade a whole load of other hardware that is working fine the way things are. I hope Hauptwerk will continue to run on Win 7 long after Microsoft discontinues its support!

Return to General discussion