It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

Fire at Notre Dame

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Re: Fire at Notre Dame

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 9:42 pm

From all the news I saw of this today it looks devastating for sure and I am greatly saddened. But it is Holy Week and yes, miracles do happen.

Marc

Agnus_Dei

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 6:20 am

NBC has reported that the organ and rose window are in "good condition."

We all certainly pray so.

From CNN:

"The original Great Organ, one of the world's most famous musical instruments, dates back to medieval times. Over the years, organ makers renovated the instrument and added onto it, but it still contained pipes from the Middle Ages before Monday's fire.

The position of titular organist, or head organist, carries great prestige in France and around the world. The Archbishop of Paris confirmed the organ is safe, reports CNN affiliate BFM TV."

engrssc

PostTue Apr 16, 2019 1:45 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:But it is Holy Week and yes, miracles do happen.

I believe miracles happen everyday. We just don't always recognize them as such.

Rgds,
Ed

adri

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 11:37 pm

From Olivier Latry, via Siezte de Vries' Facebook:

Olivier LATRY
April 16 at 9:05 PM ·

Chers tous,
En ces moments tragiques pour la Cathédrale, vous avez été extrêmement nombreux à m’envoyer des mots de soutien, plus émouvants les uns que les autres, soit par e-mail, soit par SMS, FaceBook, Instagram ou en téléphonant.
Je ne vous remercierai jamais pour cela. J’aurais aimé pouvoir répondre personnellement à chacun d’entre vous, mais eu égard aux urgences dues à la situation, cela ne m’est malheureusement pas possible, du moins pour l’instant. J’espère que vous ne m’en tiendrez pas rigueur.
Notre-Dame, qui avait résisté aux révolutions, aux guerres, est partie en fumée en quelques instants. 855 ans disparus en quatre heures… Comme vous, je ressens une énorme tristesse, de la colère contenue, un abattement total. Les images qui nous sont données à voir sont atroces. Comment ne pas croire à un mauvais rêve? La réalité nous rattrape malheureusement durement.
Malgré tous les dommages qu’a subis la Cathédrale, l’orgue a miraculeusement échappé aux flammes, et aussi à l’eau censée les éteindre. Il est très empoussiéré, mais pourra continuer à nous émouvoir dès lors que son écrin aura retrouvé sa magnificence. Quand? Nul ne le sait aujourd’hui. « Détruisez ce temple et en trois jours je le relèverai. » est-il dit dans l’Evangile de Saint-Jean. Ca prendra sûrement plus de temps à Notre-Dame, mais j’ai confiance et espoir.
Avec toutes mes amicales pensées.
Olivier Latry

Dear all,
In these tragic moments for the Cathedral, you have been extremely numerous to send kind words of support, all more moving than the others, either by e-mail, SMS, FaceBook, Instagram or on the phone.
I will never thank you enough for that. I would have liked to respond personally to each of you, but given the urgency of the situation, it is unfortunately not possible for me, at least for the moment. I hope you’ll understand.
Notre-Dame, who had resisted revolutions and wars, burned in a few moments. 855 years destroyed in four hours ... Like you, I feel terribly sad, with contained rage, total sorrow. The images that we have seen are horrible. How not to think that we are in a bad dream? Reality comes back to us, unfortunately.
Despite all the damage in the Cathedral, the organ miraculously escaped the flames, as well as the water supposed to extinguish them. It is very dusty, but will continue to enjoy us as soon as the building will be restored. When? No one knows yet. « Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up. » (John, 2). It will surely take more time in Notre-Dame, but I still live with great confidence and hope.
With warmest regards.
Olivier Latry

SMann

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 3:52 am

I don't know if this has been posted or not, but the condition of the organ is discussed at 1:28 in this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znfzApozMi0

Patrick Larhant

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 4:02 am

The main miracle is that Notre-Dame is still standing up, even if wounded. And thank you to Paris' firemen, to their skills and their courage.

monorganist

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 5:46 am

Patrick Larhant wrote:The main miracle is that Notre-Dame is still standing up, even if wounded. And thank you to Paris' firemen, to their skills and their courage.

Yes. It is extremely shocking to know that the cathedral was only 15 to 30 minutes away from complete destruction, according to French authorities.

IainStinson

PostThu May 16, 2019 6:46 am

There is an interesting article on the fire at Notre Dame and the aftermath in the most recent edition of The Organist's Review (June 2019). The Organist's Review is available as download/e-magazine https://organistsreview.com/

There is a relatively new CD of Olivier Latry playing Bach at Notre Dame which was recorded in February of this year: "Bach to the Future" Olivier Latry (on the "la dolce volta " label) LDV 69. Great performances in the "Grand French" style and a good recording too. (One link to the CD https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8605246--bach-to-the-future) This is probably the last organ recording before the fire.

Iain

IainStinson

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 am

I found this article about the work on the organ at Notre Dame, Paris.
http://www.voxhumanajournal.com/latry2021.html
Iain

sesquialtera

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 4:01 am

Thank you for this update, Iain.
Previous

Return to General discussion