It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:26 am

Master Couplers

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

csw900

Master Couplers

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 2:47 am

I need some help, I am experimenting with the Kdousov organ which has no normally visible couplers. However it does have a set of Master Couplers located on a small panel.

These Master Couplers do output their nrpn midi codes from the organ but as far as I can tell do not have any effect on the organ itself i.e. they do not couple the manuals or pedals.

These Master Couplers are not set when their midi code is input to the organ.

What are the Master Couplers for and what are they supposed to do?

csw900

IainStinson

Re: Master Couplers

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 3:04 am

Master couplers are well-described in the HW manual - see pg 100.

Essentially they provide couplers directly via the HW system in addition to those provided by thes set presently loaded. They are accessible via one of the large control panels (View menu). On the panel the couplers which are unavailable are greyed out (you can't couple divisions which don't exist in the sample set. Like any other HW control they can be auto detected to operate with any midi or computer keyboard control. The sample set provider can disable the master couplers if they don't want them used with their sample set.

I don't know the sample set you are trying to use but from the description on the website http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/en/organs/czech/kdousov.html the specification advises using the HW Master Couplers for any couplers required. It would be up to the user to decide which controls on their console (or perhaps on the piston bar) to use for the couplers and indeed what couplers to implement.

Iain

csw900

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 9:15 am

Thanks IainStinson

I did not find that the handbook told me anything which was not obvious.

However you have given me hope that I can make them work (I've never needed them before). The most important thing I have discovered so far is that Master Couplers are recorded in midi channel 1 whereas all other stops are always in midi channel 2.

I have still not been able to prove that they actually DO couple the manuals - all my tests so far indicate that the actual organ ignores them.

P.S. I have just proved that they do couple the manuals when activated correctly in channel 1 from a midi file. Thus there is no setting up necessary when playing the organ from a midi file.

csw900

mnailor

PostFri Apr 26, 2019 3:13 pm

I use master couplers on a lot of samplesets. They are triggered (toggled) by whatever console piston I press for MIDI learn, and are not limited to input from a particular MIDI channel number, like 1, at all. If you aren't triggering the master couplers from a MIDI console, so auto-learn doesn't apply to your situation, you can still go to a master coupler's MIDI input settings and set the channel and MIDI message you want it to respond to, perhaps to work with a MIDI recording that didn't come from your console.

Return to General discussion