It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:59 am

Loss of audio

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

MDavenport

Re: Loss of audio

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 4:35 pm

NEW HINT!!

So, as suggested I had the Audio/MIDI performance panel on and something happened.

All was well and the CPU indicator was showing the lowest green bar, the CRACKLE and the CPU spiked all the way up to the highest red bar. The audio still worked but obviously something happened somewhere. Once again this was about an hour after the computer had been turned on.

Thoughts please.

-=Martin=-

engrssc

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 5:20 pm

Assume you read

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17680&hilit=1903

Have you tried re-loading Win 10 to an earlier version? I know the official
rollback is 30 days after a new release. But sometimes one may have a prior
version as in a back up

Rgds,
Ed

MDavenport

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 10:00 am

Newest hint:

Kept Focusrite turned off and the CPU never spiked. Am I correct in guessing that I may need to replace the Focusrite, and if so what is recommended?

Thanks,

-=Martin=-

MDavenport

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 11:51 am

engrssc wrote:Assume you read

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17680&hilit=1903

Have you tried re-loading Win 10 to an earlier version? I know the official
rollback is 30 days after a new release. But sometimes one may have a prior
version as in a back up

Rgds,
Ed

Thanks for this info!!!! I will definitely look into it!!!

It has happened ever since I got this new computer so I don't think I have a rollback of file. I got the computer in late July.

-=Martin=-

jkinkennon

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 12:08 pm

The CPU indicator in HW is different from the performance indicators you would see in the task manager. The HW indicator is a measure of how close the CPU comes to failing to satisfy the Focusrite's need for additional audio data. When the CPU cannot provide the next data packet in time there will be audio crackles of even a complete disconnect from the Focusrite. This happens when a poorly performing windows service doesn't behave "nicely" and allow the CPU to service other tasks such as sending audio data to the interface.

SysMain, formerly superfetch, is a notorious offender and will cause this problem. Unfortunately it also does the important task of indexing files on the disks to improve computer response in finding needed files. So it's good if SysMain runs most of the time. With HW most of us find it essential to turn off this service for glitch-free audio performance. SysMain can be disabled permanently or just stopped for awhile using the Task Manager. Look under the services tab and click on Open Services at the bottom of the page. Click on SysMain and either stop it or disable it completely.

I'm running a newer release than 1903 but don't recall having a problem with spikes. The only thing I had to do was disable Skype which apparently automatically starts on new windows installs. Look for any other potential problem apps using the Task Manager such as OneDrive, Office (cloud version), or anything that is frequently accessing the internet. I'm able to keep these applications running but your mileage may vary.

I doubt if the Focusrite is the issue. I run the same gen 1 model and what you describe is the same as mine would do if the CPU indicator is spiking. The note about 1903 involves how searches are configured and you might look into that using Ed's link. That would be if you had disabled a certain search parameter -- sorry, I don't recall the details on that.

jkinkennon

PostSat Sep 28, 2019 12:46 pm

I've been doing some reading about Win 1903. There's an update that's just a few days old -- hopefully you get on the internet and allow Microsoft to apply their updates (fixes). If you don't have KB4517211 installed I'd suggest giving it a try. It specifically addresses a couple of audio issues that may help.

Check Start->Settings->Updates & Security and check your updates history and check for available updates.

randallschmid

PostSun Sep 29, 2019 3:16 pm

Martin-

Your symptoms suggest a buffer overflow. The question is why is this occuring.
The key points that I can discern.
1. You are using a new computer. The issue did not exist with your previous computer.
2.. This is not a Hauptwerk problem. The problem also exists with Grand Orgue.
3. Once you restart the software, the problem goes away for an hour. This would eliminate hardware issues such as overheating or memory faults.

Since this is a new computer and new computers generally come preinstalled with a bunch of generally useless software, I suggest you try the following: Disable things such as news and weather feeds, Norton (if it is installed. Use Windows defender instead), email push, cloud synchronization such as onedrive or icloud, and anything else that may ping the internet.

A simply way you can test this is by turning on Airplane mode.

engrssc

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 10:00 am

Ran into this problem (Win 10) re apps running in the background. Setting, Privacy, Apps Permissions, Background apps.

Turning off Background Apps solved problems on friend's computer.

There are many Privacy choices available that can do many things. Some even without your permission.

Rgds,
Ed

randallschmid

PostThu Oct 03, 2019 11:35 am

I would make sure you have gone through all of the steps to optimize your computer for audio applications that are contained in this document:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15194
Previous

Return to General discussion