It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am

Anyone one at MDA?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

giwro

Re: Anyone one at MDA?

PostMon Oct 28, 2019 12:06 pm

1961TC4ME wrote:Not trying to give anyone grief, so don't take it the wrong way, it's good to get reassurances from Jonathan, Ed and others here, but you guys don't run the company and have no say so in HW goings on. As I also mentioned in my earlier post here, I too am in the camp of not buying or doing anything else hardware wise (and I have had plans for quite awhile) until I know for a fact that this product will continue to be ran and supported by MDA and isn't currently in the middle of going in some completely unexpected direction or other hands, or goes away all together.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Marc
[/quote]

And with all due respect, I’m a sample producer, so I have access to information most of you don’t. (including Ed)

I can’t tell you what I know, because I have a non-disclosure agreement with MDA. And, I agree with you who are saying “just throw us a bone once in awhile”... it would help put the brakes on the speculation.

But, I don’t own HW or MDA, so it’s not up to me to make that call.

Here is what I can tell you:

- HW is alive and well.
- I got an email from Martin less than 2 weeks ago, he does still work for MDA.
- HW 5 is coming soon - Brett has stated as much on the forum in early October... I know there is skepticism as to what “soon” means, and if it really is true. To the best of my knowledge, and subject to what I’m able to share... “soon” means soon... probably sooner than you think.

I understand the frustration, believe me, I do. There have been some glitches and lags in communication, especially for dongle updates and support. I don’t know why, except that I’m sure it is hard to run a small company and keep all of the plates spinning. The complexity of switching to a new security/licensing schema alone has to be quite time consuming, for one. Then there are website updates in prep for rollout, etc. etc.

I’m not excusing the glitches - I’m just saying hold on for “soon”, and maybe dial it back a bit for... um...

Awhile...

Believe me, I wish I could be more specific, but it’s not my place, and I can’t. And, I might create some irritation with MDA by saying as much as I have - I hope not, as I’m trying to help reassure you all without really saying anything... I have the best interests of both customers and HW at heart... I’ve been using HW since it came out as shareware in the early 2000’s, and it has been a wonderful tool for practice (as well as a source of income!)

Hang in there, folks.
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

RichardW

PostMon Oct 28, 2019 2:24 pm

engrssc wrote:
162_Ranks wrote:I'm getting worried!

I say this because each time there has been a product improvement, there has been a time that we might look back on as a blackout period.

I said much the same 11 months ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17215&p=129046&hilit=martin#p129046

A "Proof of Life" signal every now and again would be nice.

Just sayin'
Richard

engrssc

PostMon Oct 28, 2019 5:55 pm

RichardW wrote:A "Proof of Life" signal every now and again would be nice.

Certainly agree and as some have said, to throw us a "bone" now and then, would also be nice.
I'm all for positive end results. :wink: Negativity hasn't done anything and "soon" is an
ambiguous word. Tomorrow can be considered "soon" but so can some future date. :roll:

BTW, the meaning of ambiguous is defined as open to more than one interpretation; having
a double meaning.
"ambiguous phrases" - unclear or inexact because a choice between alternatives has not
been made.

As I've mentioned to some HW folks, it's obvious much time to make HW compatible has been
spent "chasing" new operating systems whose authors could care less about us in this very
small niche market that HW occupies. How many times has it been said here 'If it ain't broke,
don't fix it?' And yet not everyone feels that is good advice, why? There must be some reason(s).

I don't make public the sources of the information that I share and I do not have a
non-disclosure agreement with MDA or anyone else for that matter. :wink:

Just being really curious, what do you expect to see with a new HW version?

Rgds,
Ed

162_Ranks

PostMon Oct 28, 2019 8:08 pm

engrssc wrote:
RichardW wrote:A "Proof of Life" signal every now and again would be nice.

Just being really curious, what do you expect to see with a new HW version?

Ed

1. ongoing compatibility with new OS releases (e.g Catalina fix that doesn't feel like a patch)
2. fix to encrypted sample set security and process
100. Improvements to user experience with multiple sample sets, I'm tired of setting up all the same pistons again and again
101. Divisional voicing controls

Andrew Grahame

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 12:41 am

I'd like to second the statements made by Jonathan Orwig. I too am aware of various issues, and I am also subject to and respectful of the same non-disclosure agreement. As I said earlier - don't be worried, be patient.

engrssc

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 4:28 am

On to the important stuff, now that we had our first snow fall over night. Winter brings on less need to do outdoor chores and more opportunity to work indoors on HW stuff.

BTW, I'm glad to see some, in agreement, optimism. Being patient and being happy.is good. :D

Rgds,
Ed

RichardW

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 6:55 am

Thanks to Jonathan and Andrew for the reassurance.

But I feel that it should really have come from elsewhere.

Regards,
Richard

1961TC4ME

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 8:41 am

RichardW wrote:Thanks to Jonathan and Andrew for the reassurance.

But I feel that it should really have come from elsewhere.

Regards,

My exact thoughts!

Marc

engrssc

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 11:53 am

At least there is something :roll: to "talk" about. How exiting. :o

Rgds,
Ed

adri

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 1:06 pm

in the updates forum, Brett writes in October 2019:

- We aim to release new versions of Hauptwerk that have better (and eventually full) support for macOS 10.15 as soon as possible. More news about the forthcoming Hauptwerk update will be available very soon!

Furthermore, I'm part of another forum, provided by a sample set maker, and there is talk about HW 5.0 and the new anti-piracy safety features to be built in.

"Good things come to those who (can) wait...." is an old saying. I think it applies here quite exactly.

I am totally trusting and hopeful that one day, sooner rather than later, we will indeed get some big news from Brett Milan and the genius software developer Martin Dyde.

deWaverley

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 4:17 pm

I too have been saddened by the decline in support standards since those wonderful days when Martin looked after us all so extraordinarily diligently...but I have to say that I received a dongle update today in 2 hours, which is very impressive - so maybe things are on an upward path once more.

Erzahler

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 4:48 pm

If you received a dongle update today in 2 hours why say you are saddened by the decline in support standards. Several members have posted that all is well and MDA are working full time on version 5.
Time to end this thread.

engrssc

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 6:33 pm

Erzahler wrote:Time to end this thread.

Agree. In my above, post, I meant for it be a play on words when I wrote 'How exiting'. Wasn't meant to be 'How exciting'. Exiting as in time to leave. Not sure how many caught that subtle 'tongue in cheek'. :wink:

I see not only here but in other places, as well, how that old saying applies - 'You can please some of the people some of the time, etc, etc. ' :shock: The glass is half full, or maybe, it's really half empty. :roll: Hmmmm.

Is that wonderful Hauptwerk organ sound we hear really that wonderful? Esp after all the work put into it to make it happen. Between Martin, Brett, MDA and the sample set producers. My thoughts - Good job people. thanks :)

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

162_Ranks

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 6:41 pm

I don't think it unreasonable to ask for SOME occasional communication from a company that you have bought a product from, and bought many more products that are dependent on, and being hand waved off by a few people who are fortunate enough to be in the know is not that reassuring.

On the other hand, it appears that I do not have much choice in the matter. I guess I will sit tight and hope!

engrssc

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 6:58 pm

162_Ranks wrote:I guess I will sit tight and hope!

Good advice. We all agree with that and pretty much, that's basically all we can do for now. Good stuff, tho, and thanks. :)

Just a reminder in case we didn't see this one:

Postby B. Milan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:57 pm

Dear all,

We understand that Hauptwerk v4.2.1 may not install or work on macOS 10.15 'Catalina', so we strongly advise not upgrading to 10.15 for the time being. In particular, existing Hauptwerk installations are likely to be broken if the default v4 installation locations were used and/or if other non-default installation locations were used that were in new sub-folders of the root folder, such as the v4 default '/Hauptwerk' folder.

- If it is absolutely necessary to install v4.2.1 on macOS 10.15 then it might possibly be feasible to do so provided that:

a) Any existing Hauptwerk installation is fully un-installed BEFORE upgrading to macOS 10.15. You can use Hauptwerk's 'File | Backup' function to back up all of your existing settings, combinations, etc., so that you can restore them later.
... AND:
b) The same work-arounds are followed (especially the first three) as covered in the macOS 10.13 compatibility announcement: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16414
... AND:
c) The 'Custom' option is chosen in the installer and then for *all* of the installation location options in the installer a new folder named 'Hauptwerk' (or similar) is specified within the operating system user's home folder (not within the operating system root folder, which is the v4 default).
... and probably also:
d) macOS 10.15's Gatekeeper is bypassed or disabled, if the Hauptwerk installer has been downloaded onto the Mac.

- We aim to release new versions of Hauptwerk that have better (and eventually full) support for macOS 10.15 as soon as possible. More news about the forthcoming Hauptwerk update will be available very soon!
Regards,
Brett Milan

I kinda thought, 20 days ago, that this was an official MDA communication, even tho it didn't have a whole lot to hang on to. :P

And for us for sure, there's a 100% chance it's going to snow all night and most of tomorrow. :| But after the holidays, it will be Spring - again. 8)

Rgds,
Ed
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion