It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:25 am

Anyone one at MDA?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

M. Qualley

Site Admin

Re: Anyone one at MDA?

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 4:41 pm

Thank you all! I am very excited!!!

I will be posting more details!!!

Yeah!
Michelle
Michelle Qualley
Director of Marketing & Business Operations
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

organsRgreat

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 5:55 pm

I cannot find a way to send a direct message to Michelle Qualley, so I'm posting here . . . On 17th October I sent a request to have a licence transferred from one Hauptwerk dongle to another; my email to

orders@milandigitalaudio.com

has not yet been acknowledged. I run two complete Hauptwerk systems simultaneously, so that that I can combine the sounds of church and theatre organs; just occasionally I decide that one of my sample sets would be more useful on the other computer. In the past MDA has dealt with this quickly and efficiently; I don't wish to make an unnecessary fuss, and I fully understand the immense amount of work involved when a small company launches a new version of its software; but I hope that after a month it is reasonable to mention this request again. Please could you remind me of the correct procedure, so that I can start the ball rolling? Thanks :-)

engrssc

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 6:33 pm

FYI, for sure being able to do just that will super simple with iLOK with no need for MDA to get involved. OTHO, if we would transfer (sell, etc) license(s) to someone else, then Pace would need to get involved and there is a $25 transfer fee - paid to Pace.

With the iLOK system, you can move licenses in one of two ways: You can drag and drop or you can use the "move license" button.

To drag and drop, you will need to select the iLok that contains the license you want to move, the source iLok, in the left hand column. Next, select the license you wish to move from the table on the right. Click and drag the license you wish to move to the new iLok, the destination iLok. Confirm the move in the popup. For obvious reasons, the source and destination iLoks need to be registered to the same account and both plugged in for the operation to be successful.

To use the buttons, you will need to select the iLok that contains the license you want to move, the source iLok, in the left hand column. Next, select the license you wish to move to the new iLok, the destination iLok; if necessary, click "Show Details" at the bottom of the ILM screen. Click the "Activate" link in the details pane, select the destination iLok from the locations list, and click "Activate". Confirm the move in the popup.

Rgds,
Ed

organsRgreat

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 6:58 am

Thanks for this clear explanation Ed. I can see that switching licences will be much easier with Hauptwerk V, but I have no immediate plans to upgrade; version 4 already does all I require. I make it five and a half weeks since my original request to MDA, and as yet there has been no acknowledgement.

My recollection is that I need first to send a request to have the licence (for the Paramount 341) removed from one dongle; then there's a second step which enables MDA to check that it has indeed been removed; finally I request the licence for the other dongle. Assuming that each request takes five minutes for MDA to process, I'm only asking for fifteen minutes at most of somebody's time.

All I can think to do is re-send my request at weekly intervals until the matter reaches the top of MDA's “To do” list. If anyone can suggest other ways of politely reminding the company of my requirement I'll be glad to consider alternatives.

Antoni Scott

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 8:28 am

I'm confused.

Antoni Scott

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 8:58 am

All:
I'm confused. I have been reading a lot of posts that are rather negative towards MDA / Hauptwerk. I'm not sure what's going on either. I can say that I have been involved with Hauptwerk since 2007 when it was called Crumhorn Labs (wow, has it been 12 years !!!) and still say its the best on the market. I play my Hauptwerk just about everyday and it has given me immense joy and satisfaction. Martin Dyde was always very helpful.
That being said, I'm confused at what is going on today. Is it true that the latest version of the Hauptwerk upgrade (Version V) is now for sale for $199 (or $120/year if purchased on a monthly basis) rather than being free as they were in the past ? I'm not sure that this will be received well.

What are the real advantages of Hauptwerk V over the previous version ? I think I saw that it will have a reverberation option available. I'm wondering why that is necessary since most of the sample sets are "wet" acoustics from the actual environment. Other that the Paramount 450, which benefits greatly from reverb (hear Pat Lanes performances) I'm not sure how this is an advantage.

I did read a comment where a member stated that ,in protest ,they would not be purchasing any more sample sets. I came to that position ( not in protest) about ten years ago after purchasing a dozen sample sets, plus umpteen free downloads. How many more organs do I need ?

My main concern is maintaining what I have. I have everything duplicated on a separate hard drive ( I have the MacPro which has up to four hard drives available). In the event that my hard drive crashes (not IF but WHEN) I will be up and running in minutes. My biggest concern is the condition of my Dongle key. Can these be duplicated or backed up in the event that mine gets broken ? In the MacPro they are in a very precarious position. I don't want to find myself in a position where I will be forced to pay for a new software version because the old one is no longer supported. I think a replacement dongle key was at the discretion of Brett otherwise I would have to buy an entire Hauptwerk software just for another key. Perhaps that policy has changed.
Antoni

organtechnology

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 10:28 am

Antoni Scott wrote:All:
I'm confused. I have been reading a lot of posts that are rather negative towards MDA / Hauptwerk. I'm not sure what's going on either. I can say that I have been involved with Hauptwerk since 2007 when it was called Crumhorn Labs (wow, has it been 12 years !!!) and still say its the best on the market. I play my Hauptwerk just about everyday and it has given me immense joy and satisfaction. Martin Dyde was always very helpful.
That being said, I'm confused at what is going on today. Is it true that the latest version of the Hauptwerk upgrade (Version V) is now for sale for $199 (or $120/year if purchased on a monthly basis) rather than being free as they were in the past ? I'm not sure that this will be received well.

What are the real advantages of Hauptwerk V over the previous version ? I think I saw that it will have a reverberation option available. I'm wondering why that is necessary since most of the sample sets are "wet" acoustics from the actual environment. Other that the Paramount 450, which benefits greatly from reverb (hear Pat Lanes performances) I'm not sure how this is an advantage.

I did read a comment where a member stated that ,in protest ,they would not be purchasing any more sample sets. I came to that position ( not in protest) about ten years ago after purchasing a dozen sample sets, plus umpteen free downloads. How many more organs do I need ?

My main concern is maintaining what I have. I have everything duplicated on a separate hard drive ( I have the MacPro which has up to four hard drives available). In the event that my hard drive crashes (not IF but WHEN) I will be up and running in minutes. My biggest concern is the condition of my Dongle key. Can these be duplicated or backed up in the event that mine gets broken ? In the MacPro they are in a very precarious position. I don't want to find myself in a position where I will be forced to pay for a new software version because the old one is no longer supported. I think a replacement dongle key was at the discretion of Brett otherwise I would have to buy an entire Hauptwerk software just for another key. Perhaps that policy has changed.
Antoni

Antoni,

Major version changes have never been free, just the incremental ones. V3>V4 there was a charge but V4.0 > V4.1 there was not. No change there.

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

OrganoPleno

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 11:39 am

Antoni Scott wrote:In the MacPro they are in a very precarious position.

You can make it less precarious by using a USB extension cable, so the Dongle is not rigidly protruding from the computer case. You can find these for sale on the iLok website, and elsewhere.

Antoni Scott wrote:I think a replacement dongle key was at the discretion of Brett otherwise I would have to buy an entire Hauptwerk software just for another key.

Not just the Hauptwerk software, but the Licenses for all of your encrypted Sample Sets. And after the stated 4-month period of overlapping support, I think Brett is getting OUT of the Dongle business for good!

Romanos

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 12:50 pm

And who can blame him?

I'm glad that HW is still being developed. Also, I don't think it unreasonable to have to pay to upgrade (as much as it pains me to think of it).

I have an advanced license (a pretty penny, to be sure, but not the only software that I own that cost that much) and it has run perfectly smoothly since around 2011/2012? So by my calculation, that is nearly 7-8 full years of running the software. That means I've averaged less than $100 per year (not including the samplesets). I'd say I got my money's worth. I'm happy to infuse a little cash into HW to keep it alive and well, and so that it is still compatible when I finally decide to upgrade to a new computer (which, at nearly 6 years old, it is almost time...). It's not fair to expect the HW dev. team to work "for free" so to speak, indefinitely.

I will purchase a perpetual license upgrade, not a subscription, but I see it as necessary to keep on the march of progress.

engrssc

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 1:08 pm

A good plan for sure !! :)

Wishing it would be similarly easy to replace aging body parts as we get older as it is to replace a computer (even considering the cost and some orientation issues). :o

Rgds,
Ed
Previous

Return to General discussion