It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:21 pm

V is coming

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

blueband95

Re: V is coming

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 11:05 am

engrssc wrote:As I said at one point, I don't have a problem waiting, (my instrument is working just fine) but my clients have heard about problems (which they really don't know much about) and they now also read here all the negative's comments which doesn't do anything helpful either. Unfortunate that negative news travels so fast. I think I was better off dealing with snail mail. Remember those days? :roll:

Actually, personally, I have no plans to rush into the upgrade (maybe until after the holidays) until I'm convinced it is best for my own interests.

So waiting is not a problem. Why the big rush by some I don't understand. :P

Rgds,
Ed

Good heavens, Ed, you reply to just about every comment on every thread. Very impressive! :)

It's really not about the waiting, or about rushing into an upgrade. As others have said, this is a niche product put together by a small staff. We understand that. We'd all rather that they take the time to do things right and release a polished project.

It is more about transparency, timely communication, and a openness about what is going on. I don't see this as negativity. We're not busting on the new product; on the contrary, we want to know as much about it as possible! Many of us have healthy five-figure sums invested in our setups, that we depend on and use daily for professional purposes. We need to know more about the new product, so that we can effectively plan and prepare for the future.

CWEB

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 2:22 pm

engrssc wrote:
So waiting is not a problem. Why the big rush by some I don't understand. :P

Rgds,
Ed

I would have agreed with you a few days ago, but MDA have really made a rod for their own back trying to be too clever. If the product is good, it doesn't need gimmicky launch strategies. We're looking at professional grade software not consumer tat....

engrssc

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 4:25 pm

CWEB wrote:MDA have really made a rod for their own back trying to be too clever. If the product is good, it doesn't need gimmicky launch strategies. We're looking at professional grade software not consumer tat....

I'm guessing, from many past experiences, esp at this point, no one is trying to be "too clever" or use "gimmicky launch strategies". That would be totally stupid. I don't see anyone at MDA being "that way"

What upsets me more, as a society, is how completely dependent and vulnerable we have become on servers, the cloud etc, etc. . To me that's scary as if there is some perverse strategy setting us up for something "quite bad". For instance, already half way into this week so far, I've had to deal with 3 such issues. Nothing to do at all with Hauptwerk, but with others where they were having server issues. Even yesterday, AOL was down for quite a while, (got an error message - temporarily unavailable) and they are no small staff outfit.

Maybe I have been looking in the wrong places as to why the entire Oakland airport had a lengthy blackout just before Thanksgiving. Every where you look, people are using their devices. I was in a store shortly ago where two different people were so busy texting that they bumped into me. No problem in that regard, but that's reality.

Maybe all these servers are being overworked and under paid and need a few days of R & R. :shock: Because of my sleep apnea I use a CPAP device to keep breathing while I sleep. I found out this device is being monitored and can be adjusted remotely by the manufacturer and my doctor (pulmonologist) by means of "the cloud". Can't imagine hackers would be interested.

So with all due respects, waiting for HW 5 is not high on my list of concerns. To show how way out rumors can be perpetuated in the wrong direction, I got an email from a person I don't even know, asking if what he "heard" (social media) is true that most HW organs are going stop working by the end of the year. Can you believe that rubbish? I actually was thinking of a more descriptive word, :oops: but decided to clean it up.

I don't recall reading that anyone absolutely is required to switch to V 5 and for sure by a given date. And, yes we all know about that 4 month grace period, etc. So again, I can't establish, for myself, the need to rush into anything. :roll:

And BTW, I mentioned in another thread about getting a panic call about a client's HW organ not working. Long story, but the problem turned out be "operator error" which started with maintenance/cleaning people moving and unplugging the power cord. No telling for how long, but the UPS battery was drained. Apparently these cleaning people tried to turn on the organ and something went wrong. The computer and software were/are fine. No one from the church knows why the organ was moved? :o

The backup computer was installed and is working fine also.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 6:26 pm

blueband95 wrote:Many of us have healthy five-figure sums invested in our setups, that we depend on and use daily for professional purposes. We need to know more about the new product, so that we can effectively plan and prepare for the future.

We have been given quite an amount of info thus far, but I agree, it has been somewhat "piece meal" and we've needed to search for it. But alot has already been shared esp from Martin of late.. I have been following Iain Stinson's contributions as he has been diligently searching and summarizing the results for us, thanks Iain. As far planning for the future, while there has been some mention, probably the issue of pricing should be posted more officially clear.

I doubt if many, myself included, have unending financial resources. As I see it, there are two simultaneous $$$ requirements, the Hauptwerk update to version 5 while at the same time changing the security setup to iLok, correct? While it may be efficient to do them both at the same time, it appears to be a double the amount of questions situation as well and most likely that will continue into the future. Once we have all the answers, just maybe we can think of "its" - that's plural, as being simple. For me, I'm not "there" yet. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Pete_K

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 10:06 am

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere and I missed it, but is it necessary to update an "out of the box" Windows 7 installation in order to install and run Hauptwerk V or iLok? Like some others, my Hauptwerk computer has never been connected to the Internet and Windows 7 has never been updated. On a related note, if updates are necessary, can a Windows 7 computer be updated to Windows 10 without causing problems for that computer's Hauptwerk installation? Thanks.

OrganoPleno

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 10:40 am

Pete_K wrote:Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere and I missed it, but is it necessary to update an "out of the box" Windows 7 installation in order to install and run Hauptwerk V or iLok?

I found the following information on the iLok Website.

"Please use the following steps to check for the specific Windows 7 update that is required:

-- Click on the Start button and go to Control Panel.
-- Go to Programs and Features to the Uninstall section (Note: you will not be uninstalling anything).
-- In the left column, click on the option that says View Installed Updates.
-- Look through the Microsoft Windows updates for either update KB3125574 or update KB3033929

"If you do not have KB3125574 or KB3033929 then you will need to download the KB3125574 update from Microsoft's website https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3125574 and install it.

"To apply this update, you must install Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 (KB976932) and April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 (KB3020369)."

It should be possible to obtain these appropriate downloads via any on-line computer, and transfer them to your Hauptwerk computer via CD or USB flash-drive. No need for the Hauptwerk computer to ever be on-line. And certainly NO NEED to install "all" of the possible updates for Windows 7... just these bare essentials, some of which you may already have on-board, depending on when you created your installation.

This should be sufficient to allow the iLok Dongle to be supported. It is expected that such an updated system should also be sufficient to support HW 5. Good luck!

Pete_K

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks, this is very helpful.

As an alternative to downloading and installing selected updates for Windows 7, would my Hauptwerk installation be affected by updating the computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10? The reason for considering this is to be able to run the current version of Windows Defender, since the Hauptwerk computer will need to be connected to the Internet for iLok to work. (At least, it will need to be connected if I want to avoid the cost of annual premiums for iLok "zero downtime" insurance, which appears to currently be $30 per year and will probably only go up. From what I have read, iLok USB sticks sometimes fail and licenses become unrecoverable. This makes the "zero downtime" insurance almost a necessity if one relies on the USB stick for managing licenses. Three or four years of iLok insurance would cover the cost of the Windows 10 upgrade.)

OrganoPleno

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 12:07 pm

Pete_K wrote:As an alternative to downloading and installing selected updates for Windows 7, would my Hauptwerk installation be affected by updating the computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

I have no personal experience with Windows 10, but everything I have heard about it is bad. Especially for Audio. I intend to run Windows 7 for the lifetime of my existing computer, and beyond that if I can manage it. Since it perfectly supports HW 4 and is stated to support HW 5 as well, I can continue running Hauptwerk on Windows 7 for as long as I choose. If some future version is not so compatible, I can continue to be content with HW 4 and/or HW 5 for the lifetime of my existing equipment... and beyond that if I can manage it.

Pete_K wrote:The reason for considering this is to be able to run the current version of Windows Defender, since the Hauptwerk computer will need to be connected to the Internet for iLok to work.

I disagree. There is NEVER any need for the Hauptwerk computer to be on-line.

Pete_K wrote:At least, it will need to be connected if I want to avoid the cost of annual premiums for iLok "zero downtime" insurance, which appears to currently be $30 per year and will probably only go up.

I agree that the Zero Downtime Insurance is a good idea. But wouldn't you need that REGARDLESS of whether you use Windows 7 or Windows 10, and REGARDLESS of whether your Hauptwerk computer is on-line or not?

With the Zero Downtime Insurance, your iLok Dongle contains licenses for three months, which can then (perpetually) be renewed three months at a time by inserting the Dongle briefly into a Computer (NOT necessarily your Hauptwerk computer!) which is on-line and which is running the iLok management software.

Any use of the Dongle should have this insurance, it seems to me. Only if your licenses are in the Cloud (and therefore NOT on the Dongle!) would the insurance not seem necessary. And if you are using Cloud licenses, then your Hauptwerk computer would not only need to be on-line, but it would need to be RELIABLY and CONSTANTLY on-line when using Hauptwerk. For me... thanks but no thanks! I simply WILL NOT rock the boat on my wonderful System by getting into some morass of constant Windows Updates (or even Anti-Virus updates, for that matter) and a constantly shifting Operating System!

Paying the $30 per year for Dongle Insurance is WELL WORTH IT for Peace of Mind! And a stable system.

If at some point you get tired of paying for the Insurance... you can just cancel it and THEN do everything the other way... cloud and on-line and so forth. But even then, why would you want Windows 10? All you would need is a reliable anti-Virus program, kept up to date. And there are certainly PLENTY of those for Windows 7!

sonar11

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 12:14 pm

Technically speaking, you don't need antivirus at all for just a HW 7 computer, even if it's connected to the internet.

Antivirus is reactionary, it can only react to new threats that you install on the computer by accident. If you're not using the computer for anything other than HW, then you won't install programs or files that contain viruses, so no need to have that running in the background and stealing half the power of your machine.

mnailor

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 12:28 pm

Pete_K: I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro and, other than having to go through the usual Windows tuning for audio changes, had no problems with Hauptwerk.

You'd have to make sure your audio interface and MIDI drivers support Win 10, and probably update the drivers. Mine from RME and MOTU were fine.

Pete_K

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 12:45 pm

Sorry if this is another question covered elsewhere, but is there a resource that explains what tweaks need to be made to Windows (especially Windows 10) to enhance real-time audio performance?

I've also wondered whether computer viruses are really a concern if the Internet is only used for managing licenses. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about avenues used for virus attacks to know if the problem can be ignored if a computer isn't used for surfing or email.

OrganoPleno

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 1:03 pm

sonar11 wrote:Technically speaking, you don't need antivirus at all for just a HW 7 computer, even if it's connected to the internet.

Technically speaking, you NEVER actually "need" it... it's just a universal recommendation!

sonar11 wrote:Antivirus is reactionary, it can only react to new threats that you install on the computer by accident.

Or that find their own way in by devious means. Any Internet connection carries a certain degree of risk. If you have a good hardware firewall, that risk can be reduced somewhat.

If a virus does wipe out your whole system... you can always restore everything from your good Back-Ups. Another "Universal Recommendation", and really foolish to do without!

Pete_K wrote:Sorry if this is another question covered elsewhere, but is there a resource that explains what tweaks need to be made to Windows (especially Windows 10) to enhance real-time audio performance?

Yes, you can find that here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15194

Romanos

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 1:14 pm

Not to derail the current line of discussion, but Michelle, if you’re reading this, it’s been a few days since any update and we are now nearly a full week from the missed launch date. Update please. Never in my life have I heard of it taking a week to bring a website back online.

mnailor

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 1:53 pm

Pete_K wrote:Sorry if this is another question covered elsewhere, but is there a resource that explains what tweaks need to be made to Windows (especially Windows 10) to enhance real-time audio performance?

I've also wondered whether computer viruses are really a concern if the Internet is only used for managing licenses. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about avenues used for virus attacks to know if the problem can be ignored if a computer isn't used for surfing or email.

In addition to the Glitch Free Audio article referenced above, please see the Windows PC list of tuning steps in the HW 4 user guide's performance tuning section near the end. It is quicker to start there, then go through the longer article if needed. Also note that SuperFetch was renamed to sysmain in Windows 10 when you go to disable it.

Pete_K

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 2:11 pm

OrganoPleno wrote:

For me... thanks but no thanks! I simply WILL NOT rock the boat on my wonderful System by getting into some morass of constant Windows Updates (or even Anti-Virus updates, for that matter) and a constantly shifting Operating System!

You raise an interesting point about Windows updates. Like you, I'd rather not install Windows updates on a Hauptwerk computer that is working properly. Especially after an update made my Windows 10 computer go silent for several years, a problem that half a day spent with a Microsoft technician couldn't resolve. The problem was finally cured by a subsequent update.

For what it's worth, a Google search claims that automatic updating for Windows 10 computers can be disabled:

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
Go to "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "Windows Components" > "Windows Update". Double-click "Configure Automatic Updates". Select "Disabled" in Configured Automatic Updates on the left, and click Apply and "OK" to disable the Windows automatic update feature.

People who are already running Hauptwerk on Windows 10 could probably confirm if this actually works.
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion