It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:13 am

V is coming

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

dhm

Re: V is coming

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Pete_K wrote:is there a resource that explains what tweaks need to be made to Windows (especially Windows 10) to enhance real-time audio performance?

Check out the recommended "bare-bones" configurations here:
http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi ... gurations/
http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi ... gurations/

I use these for all my HW PC builds, though I find that the list for Win7 is more user-friendly than that for Win10.
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

mnailor

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 2:17 pm

Also, I've been running Avira antivirus on my HW PC with the internet connection enabled. No problems from that. I do restrict Windows Updater from running when I play the organ. Win 10 lets you defer updates for a while and then apply them when you aren't using it. Win 7 let you just update at will, but 10 isn't as nice about that.

ostrovitch

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 2:39 pm

Romanos wrote:Not to derail the current line of discussion, but Michelle, if you’re reading this, it’s been a few days since any update and we are now nearly a full week from the missed launch date. Update please. Never in my life have I heard of it taking a week to bring a website back online.

I think deadline disappeared, if we could get in 2019 we are lucky.

andersonxt

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 4:05 pm

OrganoPleno wrote:From what I have read, iLok USB sticks sometimes fail and licenses become unrecoverable.

Is this true? And then your entire investment is lost? Yikes. Just when I was beginning to feel a little less apprehensive....

OrganoPleno

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 4:25 pm

andersonxt wrote:
OrganoPleno wrote:From what I have read, iLok USB sticks sometimes fail and licenses become unrecoverable.

Is this true? And then your entire investment is lost? Yikes. Just when I was beginning to feel a little less apprehensive....

No, OrganoPleno did NOT say that! False quote.

andersonxt

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 5:20 pm

See?! If I can't even post to the forum correctly, how can I deal with HW5 and iLok?

Btw, it's not the $30 for ZDT that I'm concerned about; it's hassle of the updating of a non-internet computer. And I agree: connecting is not an option.

OrganoPleno

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 5:39 pm

andersonxt wrote:Btw, it's not the $30 for ZDT that I'm concerned about; it's hassle of the updating of a non-internet computer. And I agree: connecting is not an option.

It looks like some people don't even want to try. How did they use Hauptwerk 4, which required a Dongle? They installed some drivers, and updated the Dongle by checking in on-line. How would they use Hauptwerk 5, which will require a Dongle? They'd install some drivers, and update the Dongle by checking in on-line.

Why is one of these any more of a problem than the other???

pwhodges

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 6:20 pm

Well, it was more complicated before, because you had to extract files from the dongle to send to MDA for updating, and then install the updated version. This will no longer be necessary, so the new system is simpler.

A dongle is no more likely to fail electronically than the computer it's attached to; the main thing to be careful of is the danger of physically breaking it if it's sticking out of an exposed socket. My HW computer has an internal USB socket, so the dongle is hidden away inside the case; but if it has to be outside, Pace offer a short cable so that you can hang the iLok freely, to avoid this kind of damage. And you even have the option now of not using a dongle at all!

There are more options and simpler updating procedures after changing to HWV - what's not to like?

Paul

ostrovitch

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 6:31 pm

the Ilok way is far more convenient.

Instead of exporting the dongle into a file, then sending the file to MDA, then waiting, then receiving the image updated inside email, then reimporting the image inside the dongle...

With Ilok we need only to download the licence inside the Ilok dongle, and we are ready to play. 8)

engrssc

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 6:46 pm

Romanos

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 8:33 pm

OrganoPleno wrote:
andersonxt wrote:Btw, it's not the $30 for ZDT that I'm concerned about; it's hassle of the updating of a non-internet computer. And I agree: connecting is not an option.

It looks like some people don't even want to try. How did they use Hauptwerk 4, which required a Dongle? They installed some drivers, and updated the Dongle by checking in on-line. How would they use Hauptwerk 5, which will require a Dongle? They'd install some drivers, and update the Dongle by checking in on-line.

Why is one of these any more of a problem than the other???

So true. I really don’t understand the kerfuffle over ilok. Similar, but better, and a drop in the bucket compared to our sample sets or any other part of our rigs.

www.orgeljournal.de

murph

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 7:07 pm

Il est arrivee!!!!!!!!!!

murph

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Too soon!! What a pile of??? The V documentation downloads the 4.2 pdf.
WHAT HAVE YE BEEN DOING FOR THE LAST MONTH?
OBVIOUSLY NOTHING SENSIBLE.

M. Qualley

Site Admin

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 7:32 pm

The V documentation downloads the 4.2 pdf.

Thanks! Fixed.
Michelle Qualley
Director of Marketing & Business Operations
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion