It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:14 pm

V is coming

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

Re: V is coming

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 4:53 am

I saw this as well, but Grant beat me to posting it. Good stuff, Grant. 8)

Hopefully this will satisfy the "negatives" soon to become the "positives". :lol:

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 5:40 am

Seems a pity that MDA are apparently using FACEBOOK in preference to the this forum where many of their customers visit....
The official release of Hauptwerk V will be announced FIRST on Facebook—so be sure you are following us at http://www.facebook.com/Hauptwerk.

I suspect that at least some of us are not FACEBOOK fans... "Goose" and "golden eggs" comes to mind...
Iain

engrssc

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 6:05 am

I noticed that so far:referring to F/B:

2,347 people like this, 2,412 people follow this

(Appears there are some H/W "fans" besides those of us here, yes?)

BTW, this H/W Facebook page has been around for quite a while (since 2013) and has been used for all major Hauptwerk announcements.

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 1:20 pm

Not a lot of activity on the FACEBOOK page from MDA. They have almost 2,500 followers.

Recent posts are November 2019 (V is coming....), April 2019 (Notre Dame fire), April 2016 (Harlem organ), June 2015 (Morman Choir, 4.2.1 released), May(4.2 released), March 2015 (Interstellar), Sept 2014 (4.1.1), July 2014 (AGO), Jan 2014 (new advert),....2012(AGO show).

I hope they provide details on both the Forum (which is their forum) and if they must on FACEBOOK.

Worth noting too (from FACEBOOK)
and our brand-new, mobile-friendly web site releases in under two weeks.

Will the form change too?

Will the forum's content remain accessible (continuing to give us access to the knowledge it contains which we share) ?

Is there going to be significant "down-time"?

Would be nice to be kept informed please.

rayjcar

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 7:46 pm

Ever since Facebook's egregious privacy violations became evident, I have suspended my account. If I click on a Facebook link, it tries to get me to sign back in. I won't.

Facebook IS NOT the proper venue for new product announcements. Hauptwerk.com is.
Facebook adds zero value, but in the meantime will profile your presence. If you have ever registered with Facebook in the past, it knows that you have come back, whether you sign in or not.

engrssc

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 9:43 pm

If we only knew how our privacy is being invaded. For instance, I have sleep apnea, which means, at times,while sleeping, I stop breathing. So I have a "machine" (a CPAP), which pressurizes a mask which makes sure I don't inadvertently stop breathing. This device reports, via the cloud, to my doctor, 24/7 all of my sleeping times, down to the minute without my doing anything. Kinda limited choices, yes?

Maybe I'm (also) sensitive to such things, but even tho I turn off my laptop camera(s),I still put a piece of tape over them because certain apps can turn them back on. :x

Rgds,
Ed

Grant_Youngman

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 11:27 pm

rayjcar wrote:Ever since Facebook's egregious privacy violations became evident, I have suspended my account. If I click on a Facebook link, it tries to get me to sign back in. I won't.

Facebook IS NOT the proper venue for new product announcements. Hauptwerk.com is.

The announcement doesn't say "just" Facebook. It's reasonably certain that it will show up in the forum soon enough thereafter that no one will miss anything ...
Grant

engrssc

PostSun Nov 17, 2019 12:06 am

Grant_Youngman wrote:The announcement doesn't say "just" Facebook. It's reasonably certain that it will show up in the forum soon enough thereafter that no one will miss anything ...

In the past, as Grant mentioned, there was only a short time between the Facebook announcement compared to when it appeared on the Forum.

For instance, the banner was changed on Facebook on November 6 at 9:34 AM and was changed on the Forum shortly before noon on November 6. :wink:

We used to hear the message to "stay tuned". Haven't heard that recently as most are "tuned" to some communication device nearly 24/7. What annoys me is getting a text from a tele-marketer at 2 AM even if I am awake. :mrgreen:

Rgds,
Ed

M. Qualley

Site Admin

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 1:36 am

Doug S. wrote:If it means continuous internet authorization, I'm gone! Windows 10 is cancer when connected.
Doug

Well Doug you can use the iLOK key and play 'offline' or use the Cloud with an online connection and go without the key. You can switch back and forth as well.

Stick around Doug! V is going to give flexibility and choices!

Best,
Michelle
Michelle Qualley
Director of Marketing & Business Operations
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

M. Qualley

Site Admin

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 2:01 am

MPiercey wrote:If things are switching to ilock, I'm pretty sure that the encryption of all encrypted sample sets will have to be redone using the iLock encryption system. This will mean a lot of work for the sample-set producers, but the big problem that I see will be with encrypted sample sets that are no longer sold, such as FCCLA from CLR Resources. I bought the entire series of this set - what is going to happen to it, and others like it?? :roll:

While I agree that the iLock system is probably the best, I will be very upset if I am no longer able to use sample sets that I paid a lot of money for!

Never fear! Your instruments will come safely with you when you upgrade to V. You will be able to migrate them all over. Producers should all have their instruments ready before the release of V and they will supply you with a new download link, please contact the producers of your instruments directly for that information once you are ready. MDA will post a PDF with new download links for all of their instruments so that users will not need to contact us individually to gain access.

Hope this helps!
Michelle
Michelle Qualley
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

seh52

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 2:25 am

Welcome, Michelle!
I have invested hundreds of hours installing, voicing and tuning more than 100 samples sets. Will they all migrate to V with settings intact, or must each be reinstalled, voiced and tuned again to use in V?
Thanks,
Stan

M. Qualley

Site Admin

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 3:15 am

Hello Stan,

New sample files will need to be installed (at least for encrypted instruments) however all settings/voicings should be retained. I am going to verify some further details with the team and get back to you with more precise details.
Michelle Qualley
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

IainStinson

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 5:36 am

Michelle, welcome to the Hauptwerk community.

We all hope you enjoy working with MDA and with all of us. Like any customers who care about the product they use, we can be a demanding and forthright group.

We can also be understanding and helpful provided we are kept appropriately informed about what is going on. "Silence" is probably not "golden".

We anticipate the coming release of Hauptwerk V and its expected improvements to the system with optimism.

The change to the licencing infrastructure will require some work by customers with little direct benefit; however an environment, where software theft is harder will possibly encourage the production of more sample sets and future releases of HW, is to our mutual longer term benefit. The changes to the licencing infrastructure needs to be very carefully communicated to the user community as soon as possible.

Iain
Last edited by IainStinson on Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 5:43 am

I think it safe to say that Iain speaks for a good share of the positive thinking Hauptwerk community. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 6:51 am

This is not about iLOK - there is another thread about iLOK.

This is a question about sample sets which use Hauptwerk's encryption system but do not use the current dongle (examples such as St Anne's and at least some sets from Piotr Grabowski) - they have .hbw sample files (encrypted .wav files).

Will new versions of these be needed for Hauptwerk V or will the versions for 4.2 work with Hauptwerk V without being reloaded? This sort of information is needed when to help plan a migration from the world of 4.2 to V [IV.II to V or 4.2 to 5?]

Thanks.
Iain
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion