It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:11 am

ilok and Hauptwerk

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

IainStinson

ilok and Hauptwerk

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 11:57 am

On FACEBOOK MDA has announced that it is going to to use iLok (from PACE) to manage the licensing for Hauptwerk V and for the sample sets running on V. https://www.ilok.com/

iLok offers both “cloud based licencing” (you need to be connected to the Internet) and “off-line licensing” using an iLok usb device (similar to the current HW dongle).

From what I understand, iLok users need to have an iLok account which is provided at no cost. When a licence is purchased, the seller adds the licence to the purchasers iLok account and the purchaser may use it either from the cloud or load it on to their iLok usb device. ILok users can use chose if a particular licence is to be used via “cloud licencing” or via “off-line licencing”. Users can, via their iLok account, move licences between their iLok device and the cloud as their requirements change.

ILok cloud and device-based licensing works on (and across) MAC OS and Windows systems.

iLok seems to provide technology that could improve the handling of licence requests - opening up the possibility of this being devolved to sample set producers rather than relying on MDA. It also could allow users to pass on (sell) licences for samples sets (and Hauptwerk) to others with an iLok account (though from my reading around the web site and manual for iLok this could be set up so as to require the agreement of the sample set producer (or MDA in the case of Hauptwerk)).

Some of the features for repairing broken iLok devices and for covering replacement due to theft look attractive and seem to answer many of the concerns expressed on this forum – I hope that MDA will decide to make these available when iLok is used by their use of the product. Some of these features require more recent iLok usb devices.

This all looks most promising.

I’d be interested to know if existing iLok users find the system works as well as the marketing stuff on their website suggests. My own experience is limited to one product which uses iLok and after setting up this product some years ago it up I’ve not done anything further with the iLok system.

The transition to an iLok world might be “exciting” and will certainly require some user and supplier effort. One has to hope that MDA and the sample set producers are geared up to support this nontrivial exercise in a timely fashion and have produced some very clear documentation about what users will need to do.

Iain

engrssc

Re: ilok and Hauptwerk

PostSat Nov 16, 2019 2:31 pm

IainStinson wrote: I’d be interested to know if existing iLok users find the system works as well as the marketing stuff on their website suggests.

From my experience, definitely, yes. iLOK has become the industry standard for good reason. I have 3 separate iLOK accounts presently with positive results in each case.

IainStinson wrote:The transition to an iLok world might be “exciting” and will certainly require some user and supplier effort. One has to hope that MDA and the sample set producers are geared up to support this nontrivial exercise in a timely fashion and have produced some very clear documentation about what users will need to do.

Most if not all the sample set producers have been geared up to support this technology, hense the long, to date, wait.

Regarding the clear documentation, again, definitely yes, it is needed. But so does setting up Hauptwerk.with 200+ pages in the H/W user manual. I'm not suggesting iLOK is near that involved, it isn't. But it does require some understanding as to how to use it. The first requirement is to set up a (free) account with Pace, which, BTW, is closed for business on the weekends.

I, personally have not experienced using the iLOK cloud version as I don't want any of my music computers to be connected to the Internet. As an alternate to the cloud version, each user must provide their own iLOK usb device which can hold up to 1,500 licences. I have yet to hear of any iLOK user that has 1,500 licences. iLOK is a software security service, so other than we organ people use iLOK.

There are many "how to use" iLOK videos on the net. I have avoided suggesting which ones will match what is the setup for HW. But iLok has quite basic requirements for all users. For instance, swapping (buying and selling) such as a license for sample sets between individuals, is possible without interaction between licence providers, altho there is a $25 processing fee needed to be paid to Pace for such transactions.

Is anyone counting down the days until - - - - ? :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

smfrank

PostSun Nov 17, 2019 6:47 pm

In anticipation I created an account.
Took several tries to validate my email.
Tried to order an ilok usb and the only shipping available was $32 (2 day) or $38 overnight.
That seems extreme.
Not feeling too god about this right now.
[edit] Just ordered from Amazon, free shipping!
Steve
Steven Frank

engrssc

PostSun Nov 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Getting a little "ahead", but I have also seen where there have been instances where a software provider has made a "deal" and has been able to make iLOK devices available at a discounted price.
Please note, I don't know if that's the case with MDA.

There are iLOK version 3 Software Authorization devices available on eBay with free shipping.
(version 3 devices are the latest)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=iLOK+version+3+device&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15

As well as dealers like Sweetwater:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iLok3--pace-ilok-3rd-generation?&mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3341757710&product_id=iLok3&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%2520-%2520SKU%2520-%2520Studio%2520%26%2520Recording&adgroup=Computers%2520-%2520PACE%2520-%2520ilok3&placement=google&creative=353747988369&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3JPi-c3y5QIVmYrICh222gj7EAQYAiABEgIO4_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

How to videos:

https://www.ilok.com/#!resource/video

https://www.ilok.com/#!home

Rgds,
Ed

M. Qualley

Site Admin

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 12:26 am

engrssc wrote: by engrssc » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:02 pm

Getting a little "ahead", but I have also seen where there have been instances where a software provider has made a "deal" and has been able to make iLOK devices available at a discounted price.
Please note, I don't know if that's the case with MDA.

There are iLOK version 3 Software Authorization devices available on eBay with free shipping.
(version 3 devices are the latest)

Hello Ed,

Just to help clarify MDA will not be selling the iLOK keys. The nice thing is they are readily available many places. You will need the Generation 2 or 3 key. The Generation 1 key won't work. The iLOK key is only needed if you want to use HWV 'offline'. You don't need a key if you are using the Cloud. You will be able to switch between the key and Cloud as well. So everyone can use this new platform how they want and need. Everyone will need an iLOK License Manager Account (FREE).

Hope this helps!n
Michelle
Michelle Qualley
Director of Marketing & Business Operations
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

engrssc

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 4:51 am

Thanks for the clarification. You will find that many of us are involved in other than HW musical "ventures" and sometimes migrate "other ideas and/or suggestions) which do need clarification.

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 5:04 am

Some iLOK features require the software publisher to agree that they may apply to their licences.

Has MDA made a recommendation to sample set producers which features they should support? Can you share this recommendation with the community?

Is Zero Down Time plus Total Loss Coverage going to be available for HW and MDA sample sets? Will the other sample set producers be recommended to support ZDT and TLC? [This might be particularly important to those of us outside the USA where the 14 day temporary licences may be too short a period for the shipping involved in the RMA process.] See https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-details

Will MDA allow the transfer of HW and its sample sets between two iLOK user accounts without being involved to approve the transfer? Will other sample set producers be recommended to support this option?

Thanks (in advance) for any information you can provide.
Iain

evertjan

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 6:44 am

Thanks Iain for these good questions and those in the other topic for getting clearness in the transition.

One addition, which is also written on the #!zdt-details webpage:
The RMA License Recovery and Replacement process allows us to recover your licenses from your iLok USB and provide you with permanent replacement licenses. License recovery and replacement may take up to 12 business days in peak periods, such as during extended holiday closures.

Up to 12 business days only for that part of the process. In that case 14 days is too short for non USA Hauptwerk owners.

engrssc

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 9:45 am

As well, setting up a new account does take some time esp to get an email reply from Pace.

Would suggest doing that ASAP if someone doesn't already have an iLOK account. :wink:

OTOH, to those that have asked me, my reply has been to make sure they are comfortable with all the information before making any changes. And to be assured that Hauptwerk isn't going away. Nothing changes to anything existing by merely applying for an iLOK account.

The video "Setting up a new account" has step by step info as well as cautions.

https://www.ilok.com/#!resource/video

Rgds,
Ed

M. Qualley

Site Admin

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 4:56 pm

IainStinson wrote:Some iLOK features require the software publisher to agree that they may apply to their licences.

1. Has MDA made a recommendation to sample set producers which features they should support? Can you share this recommendation with the community?

2. Is Zero Down Time plus Total Loss Coverage going to be available for HW and MDA sample sets? Will the other sample set producers be recommended to support ZDT and TLC? [This might be particularly important to those of us outside the USA where the 14 day temporary licences may be too short a period for the shipping involved in the RMA process.] See https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-details

3. Will MDA allow the transfer of HW and its sample sets between two iLOK user accounts without being involved to approve the transfer? Will other sample set producers be recommended to support this option?

Thanks (in advance) for any information you can provide.
Iain

Iain...

I have numbered your questions and here are the answers!

1. Yes all Cloud based and iLOK key. And they should all allow transfers.
2. This is your choice to set it up how you want with Pace.
3. Yes. There is a $50 fee which Pace will handle directly. You can read about this on the Pace site. You will be able to handle these on your own. Nice right!!

This new platform is going to give you all a lot of freedom!

All good!!!!
Thanks,
Michelle
Michelle Qualley
Director of Marketing & Business Operations
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

fjonker

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 1:19 am

If we use HW with iLOK Cloud and lose internet connection for a few minutes, or an hour, will that disable the license in HW or will the license be cached on the computer and renewed daily or every X hours? Most license keys I have used will renew periodically rather than constantly.

The reason I ask is that it would be rather awkward if you're playing HW in a venue and the internet connection drops momentarily disabling your HW software.

IainStinson

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 6:14 am

Thank you form the prompt response to these questions.

Q1 You seem to say that ALL of the features provided by iLOK Cloud and iLOK devices will be supported. This is great news.

Q2 was about the use of Zero Down Time, The iLOK site implies that ZDT is a featured not all software publishers support. You say this is between iLOK and the customer - I assume this means that MDA and the sample set producers will allow their software to be included. This is again good news.

Q3 was about transfer of licences between iLOK accounts. Again it says on the iLOK web site that some publishers require that they approve each transfer (and I assume they may not approve some too) as well as iLOK taking the fee ($25 I think it says). From your reply I assume this means that customers can transfer licences without the approval or involvement of MDA. Many will welcome this. Thank you.

Please say if I have misunderstood your replies.

One additional question if I may:
Q4 Are the iLOK licences issued being issued on iLOK accounts by MDA on behalf of the sample set producers or directly by the sample set producers working with iLOK without any involvement of MDA?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Iain

mnailor

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 3:11 pm

I decided to go ahead and order an ilok dongle.

On the ilok.com site, my cheapest shipping option raised the $50 price to $80 in continental US.

Best Buy price is $42 with free shipping. There are probably other deals. Both prices were for the gen 3 USB key.

The cloud option requires continuous internet access, which I avoid for Hauptwerk to keep surprise audio glitches and unexamined Windows updates away.

Just information for those preparing their upgrade budgets.

engrssc

engrssc

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 7:06 pm

To get some idea about iLOK, but no doubt we look forward to info from Hauptwerk (MDA).

The iLOK License Manager Manual and Quick Start info is available here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ilok-com/iLokLicenseManagerManual.pdf

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ilok-com/iLokLicenseManagerQuickStartGuide.pdf

Rgds,
Ed
Next

Return to General discussion