It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 pm

Hauptwerk V - my understanding

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

OrganoPleno

Re: Hauptwerk V - my understanding

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 10:42 pm

einer_von_weitem wrote:It seems also that ilok only works if Windows 7 has all the relevant updates, at least that is what I have understood. A Hauptwerk computer like mine that has never been connected to the internet has no Windows updates. Apparently it takes ages to get them (years' worth of them) -- and, again, do I WANT this?

I believe the iLok would only require a single update for Windows 7, a small file which could be downloaded on another computer and transferred via CD or flash drive.

mdyde

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 6:32 am

I've attempted to cover most of the questions asked in this thread in an FAQ here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833

OrganoPleno wrote:
Andrew Grahame wrote:There's no doubt that it will take some time for those of us who own encrypted sample sets to make the transition. In my case, that will be a lengthy process as I own a large sample set collection.

"Take some time" could mean WAITING some time before we feel "the Time is right" for upgrading. Saving up our pennies, gathering our energies, and so forth.

"A lengthy process" implies that once we begin upgrading, we may not be finished for some time.

Hello OrganoPleno,

All sample set producers who produce copy-protected v4 sample sets should have had the necessary tools to re-protect them for v5, so that they could make sure all of those sample sets are ready in time for v5's release. It's my understanding that at least the following producers (in alphabetical order) already have all of their sets ready for v5:

- Audio Angelorum
- CLR Resources / Evensong
- Forestpipes
- Inspired Acoustics
- Lavender Audio
- Milan Digital Audio
- OrganArt Media
- Paramount OrganWorks
- Pipeloops
- Silver Octopus Studios
- Sonus Paradisi
- Sygsoft
- Voxus Organs

The small number of remaining producers hopefully will have theirs ready too in time for v5's initial release (they may well already have them ready and just haven't specifically told me), otherwise very soon afterwards. Hence I think that most people shouldn't have to wait at all in order for v5-compatible sample sets to be ready, so I think you're unlikely to find it to be an issue in practice.

You would just need to download them and install them in v5.

OrganoPleno wrote:Does this mean that the Encrypted Sample Sets from Version 4 can be upgraded one-by-one at our request, as their licenses are INDIVIDUALLY read out from the Dongle and read in to the ILOK? Or does all of this re-licensing happen immediately and automatically if we install an "Upgrade" version of HW5?

No -- you can either upgrade your Hauptwerk v4 USB Key to v5, along with all of the sample sets in it, or not upgrade either; you can't upgrade sample set licences individually. The process is covered here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133611

OrganoPleno wrote:And what if we go with a fresh, full install of HW5, so as to allow HW4 samples to continue operating on another system. Can we then, at our request, transfer those licenses one-by-one to the new Hauptwerk, without jeopardizing the remaining licenses on the Dongle? (Licenses for HW 4 itself, as well as for the remaining Encrypted Sample Sets.)

As above, no -- you can't migrate some of the v4 USB Key's licences and not others.

If you really wanted to use v5 whilst also continuing to use v4 then you would need to buy a completely new full licence for v5 (e.g. you could buy a subscription as a temporary measure, as has been mentioned by others) and new full licences for any copy-protected sample sets that you wanted to use in it, which might be an expensive route. If it does turn out to be the case that any sample sets that you rely upon aren't yet available in v5 (which I think you'll find to be unlikely, as above), then I would recommend instead simply waiting until the sample sets are ready for v5, and then upgrading you v4 licences to v5 (in one go).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mdyde

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 6:45 am

cdekter wrote:if I do upgrade any v4-only encrypted sample sets will become unusable because my v4 will stop working unless I pay for a full copy of v5!

Again I can't believe that any company would make such a user abusive move deliberately. I must be missing something.

There are two simple things MDA could do to avoid this perception altogether:

- Continue supporting v4 license activations for at least a couple of years
- Don't disable v4 license during upgrade.

If Milan Digital Audio didn't remove the licences from the Hauptwerk v4 USB Key when upgrading it to v5 then you would have ended up with two full sets of licences for all of your sample sets (and for Hauptwerk), which could be resold or given away illegally. Sample set producers would have been very unhappy about that, and in fact *required* us to ensure that v4 sample set licences were removed.

However, as in my previous reply, I think you will simply find that it won't turn out to be an issue in practice, since it's very likely that the sample sets you have will be available in v5 format in time for v5's release anyway (otherwise very shortly afterwards, if there are indeed one or two remaining).
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 6:50 am

ostrovitch wrote:My concern will be more about the tranfer of licences from my dongle to Ilok as the dongle will be be erased, so it means if this step would fail I'll fall inside problems.

The licence migration process is simple and automated ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133611 ). It shouldn't go wrong, but in the slight chance that something does, then just contact MDA and we'll make sure it's resolved satisfactorily. (We have a record of which sample sets are currently licensed in each v4 USB Key anyway, which could be referred to as a last resort.)
Best regards, Martin.

ostrovitch

PostFri Nov 29, 2019 7:40 am

Hi Martin,

Thanks for this clarification.
Previous

Return to General discussion