It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:59 pm

What college has the best organ music program?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

engrssc

Re: What college has the best organ music program?

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 11:29 pm

As well, there is the element of time. A person doesn't become a (talented) musician usually quickly. IMHO, the organ is a fairly complicated instrument as many of us have found out (over a period of time). Probably not everyone's opinion, but it would appear many youngsters today would rather play video games than take piano or organ lessons. And there's the need to practice. :wink: Yet, being able to play an instrument (well) carries with it an amount of satisfaction that many other forms of "entertainment" may lack.

I many times invite youngsters to come up after service and help me play something. It may start out by playing a single note when I say "ok". Later on, maybe two notes, etc. Seems most kids enjoy playing a pedal note esp with a louder stop. So why not promote?

Neat idea for a logo here. Maybe a tee shirt? :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

Romanos

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 7:14 am

Michelle, it is interesting that you mention Brett and the college scene. When I was working on my masters degree I was the first and only person in a rather large department to be using Hauptwerk. I found it very odd at the time that most of my colleagues looked at me like I was crazy. For a while, there was only a single other student who was even remotely interested. Like has been stated upstream in this thread, while we had two concert instruments, they were indeed very hard to get time on, especially towards the end of the semester when the concert season ramps up and majors are trying to get all their degree recitals in. So I definitely had the last laugh because I had an instrument available to me 100% of the time and whenever I wanted. What I discovered, especially as a guy in my mid-20s who kept a very late hours, and then as a newlywed, it was very very nice to be able to practice in my pajamas with headphones until midnight and then literally slide off the bench and right into bed, which was only 10 paces away in the room across the hall, all in the comfort of my own home (especially in December & January).

Having the ability to easily record myself and listen back was also an invaluable tool, to say nothing of the ability to change organs depending on the piece of repertoire I was working on. I would sometimes use SP’s claviorganum to do my wood shedding (since it was just like a little practice room organ—and bone dry) and then I could use other more “fun” organs to do runthroughs. I wouldn’t change it for the world; it proved to be one of the very best investments I ever made (although my parents thought I was nuts when I first got my 3m console!).

Part of my argument at the time was this: every single music major… Has their own instrument that they develop a relationship with. It seem to make perfect sense to me that I should also have unfettered access to my own instrument.

Lastly, I should mention that for four years I played for two different churches that were both an hour away from where I lived. As a result, having an instrument in my home was absolutely invaluable for practice, since I couldn’t just drive to church to practice. Again, I cannot reiterate what a tremendous impact the software has had on my life.

engrssc

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 9:10 am

Sounds as if we should raise our glasses in a toast to Hauptwerk as an appropriate gesture. It's interesting these days to do a little (Hauptwerk) name dropping. There was the reality, possibly five years ago, when I mentioned HW, very often there was this quizzical look with the "What's that?" verbiage. While Hauptwerk may not be a household name, there certainly are many more individuals who are in the know column.

Name and brand recognition is what marketing people strive after. As well most, if not all the organ "competitors" know the Hauptwerk name. A few weeks ago I was talking to an organ dealer and asked him what he thought of Hauptwerk? He said words to the affect, 'While I can't endorse it as that would be shooting myself in the foot, from my experience and what I'm being told, I'm not going to say anything bad about it either.' (More like a three out of five star rating). So the 'word' is definitely out there. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

profeluisegarcia

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 10:21 am

engrssc wrote:Sounds as if... So the 'word' is definitely out there. 8)

Rgds,
Ed

I`d l add a piece of information in the brindis: The one whom I would esteem as the greatest organist in this known galaxy has recently installed a 4 manual HW in his home with a big church poster on the wall ( I have not contact him for asking authorization to mention his name, but perhaps some of you could add more names to the list¡).
Regards
Luis

Romanos

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 10:34 am

I can also tell you that I know of at least two organ technicians in our area (one of whom is a dealer for At least two big-name digital organ companies) both use HW at home... the one who is a dealer really made me chuckle, since he could voice a personal organ until the cows come home since he has the proprietary software... and yet he uses HW. :P

engrssc

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 10:42 am

Many other "prominents" who formerly were more anti-HW, are slowly, quietly without much 'noise' slipping into the HW ranks (divisions.) :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

OrganoPleno

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 11:12 am

Romanos wrote:The one who is a dealer really made me chuckle... he uses HW.

Likewise, as far back as 2011 I was speaking to one dealer who said, nobody should ever buy Hauptwerk (buy his brand instead!)... but he admitted to using it in his OWN home with full enjoyment.

engrssc

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 11:27 am

'Do as I say, not as I do' (not my words).

Rgds,
Ed

magnaton

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 11:35 am

Romanos wrote:I can also tell you that I know of at least two organ technicians in our area (one of whom is a dealer for At least two big-name digital organ companies) both use HW at home... the one who is a dealer really made me chuckle, since he could voice a personal organ until the cows come home since he has the proprietary software... and yet he uses HW. :P

I spoke to a rep of a big-name digital organ company with a large area which covers about 2.5 states. When I asked about Hauptwerk he responded with "those using it (Hauptwerk) wouldn't be our customers to start with". That is an interesting view to file HW strictly in the hobbyist category. I guess there is some truth to that (from their perspective) when your cheapest model is $22K! Reminds me of the early days of personal computers. You'd never see a PC in medium to large company but slowly they inched their way in via the accounting and marketing departments thanks to the number crunching and forecasting power of the electronic spread sheet (Visicalc, Lotus123).

magnaton

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 11:53 am

OrganoPleno wrote:
Romanos wrote:The one who is a dealer really made me chuckle... he uses HW.

Likewise, as far back as 2011 I was speaking to one dealer who said, nobody should ever buy Hauptwerk (buy his brand instead!)... but he admitted to using it in his OWN home with full enjoyment.

LOL, I just remembered, I spoke to another rep around 2012 who had Hauptwerk and said it was nice and thought the organ simulations were quite good. He then said unfortunately it doesn't work to accompany a congregation or choir (so I have to buy his brand). :wink:

Danny B.

dw154515

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 9:09 pm

I did my Master’s (and Bachelor's) in Music Theory/Composition. However, it was during my undergrad that I got to play an organ seriously for the first time - a 1950’s/60’s era neo-baroque Scantz. BARF! But I didn’t know any better at the time. It was still love at first site and has only blossomed since.

I’ve since played many organs.

BUT....

I must say that Hauptwerk has done more for my Organ education than ANYTHING else. I built my first Hauptwerk rig to help me compose my Master’s thesis, a Concerto for Organ and Orchestra In 2011.

Having an organ in my bedroom, that could play any style of instrument, from any part of the globe, proved to be INVALUABLE! I am so grateful to live today, and to have such an amazing resource available to me, something NEVER before possible, in all of human history! That’s pretty remarkable to think about. I am very grateful.

My former organ teachers were all Eastman, Juilliard, and Indiana University grads. I, myself, have no degree in organ, only a minor.

I can speak as the 30 year old millennials the group, that Hauptwerk is right down our alley. I’ve never met a person my age or younger that scoffs at Hauptwerk the way many “old timers” do. We welcome it with open arms. I never could have finished my Master’s degree without it.
Drew A. Worthen
Master of Music in Composition - Butler University
http://www.drewworthen.com
Director of Music & Website Admin - Greenwood UMC
http://www.greenwoodumc.org
Design Engineer - American Sound and Electronics - Indy
https://americansound.cc/

engrssc

PostTue Dec 03, 2019 9:31 pm

dw154515 wrote:I’ve never met a person my age or younger that scoffs at Hauptwerk the way many “old timers” do. We welcome it with open arms.

While I may be "older than 30", for sure I have embraced Hauptwerk since it first arrived. I cannot speak for other "old timers" and find many negative attitudes to be on the border of being not about Hauptwerk (software) itself but rather more about "people issues".

The good news is we see much less negative opinions being expressed these days. :) Some squeaky wheels may have had some lube applied. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

M. Qualley

Site Admin

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 7:06 pm

These are great insights for me! Thank you so much. I intend to pursue this after the release of V as one of my major priorities.

Keep the dialogue going. You are all helping me tremendously!

Thank you!

Michelle
Michelle Qualley
Director of Marketing & Business Operations
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

pwhodges

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 7:13 pm

dw154515 wrote:I’ve never met a person my age or younger that scoffs at Hauptwerk the way many “old timers” do.

This old timer (73yo) has never scoffed at Hauptwerk! (My date of joining the forum supports that, I'd say.)

Paul

engrssc

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 7:17 pm

Helps to be young at heart as you are, Paul. You probably remember MidiTzer as well?

Rgds,
Ed
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion