It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:28 am

HW v5

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

atugores

HW v5

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 12:39 pm

Hello everyone, I am a poor amateur organist who when he gets home after work, likes to play the organ for an hour or more, I sit on my console and start a switch (only one) and everything starts, the mac , the HW software (advanced), and one of my favorite organs, so I start enjoying the music, the preparation takes me 2 minutes, that's all. The fact is to have an uncomplicated instrument that allows me to enjoy music. HW 4.2.1 is very good although 50% of its content or more for me is useless because I am not a technician, I am not interested either, what I want is to play and not think of dongles (the one I have now "Sentinel" never says nothing, not annoying is simply effective and is there), not thinking about internet connections, Iloks, clouds etc, I ONLY WANT TO PLAY, and not devoting my attention to other things that in the end do not let me play (it is so clear and simple) I think that many fans are the only thing they want. They don't want to turn on the computer and start entering keys, internet (50% of connections fail) the ilok (cloud or not cloud) startup keys, ilok software, I read the ilok manual and what a way to complicate life, I say it again I WANT TO PLAY, please do not complicate our lives, I have read all the recent posts on this subject and it seems that the new HW v5 is not for amateurs, it looks for great technicians, I am so satisfied with v. 4.2.1 that I can not imagine any significant improvement from the announced V that will improve what I said PLAY ONLY. Besides, the more sophisticated software more likely to fail and difficult to run. if this is as it seems, then I will have to say with much regret BY BY HAUPTWERK, it has been a good time. By the way I have already bought a ukulele just in case.

OrganoPleno

Re: HW v5

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 12:50 pm

atugores wrote:By the way I have already bought a ukulele just in case.

Cheer up, it's not so bad! Once everything is set up, you won't even have to think about it any more. The iLok dongle can just stay in place. It just needs its drivers installed when you install HW 5. This is the same as with HW 4, when you installed THOSE drivers for THAT dongle when you installed HW 4.

If you get a new encrypted Sample Set, you update the iLok dongle. Same as now when you would need to update the HW 4 dongle, except simpler faster and automated.

But there's no need to upgrade if you don't want to. Just keep enjoying your HW 4 system same as today.

And enjoy the new Ukulele too!

mdyde

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 1:07 pm

Hello atugores,

To confirm OrganPleno's reply (thanks, OrganoPleno), there's absolutely nothing from a licensing perspective stopping you continuing to use your Hauptwerk v4 system exactly as it is indefinitely:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133617

Of course, we'd be delighted it you do decide to upgrade to v5, but you absolutely don't have to.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

atugores

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 1:35 pm

Thanks, I appreciate your help and opinions, but tell me something, I know I can stay with HW v4, but how about If I have a problem, say change of computer, buying new software (can I do that), or a simple failure of mac OS and I have to install al again (can I use HW v4), will MDA send a license for the dongle, and of course I would be delighted to upgrade to v5, but how about the additional cost after all the efforts done with HW+console etc. will see what happens. Thank you anyway

atugores

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 1:50 pm

What I tried to say is keep v4, do not make any improvements, but keep the license coverage for it, dongle update, samples licenses, only for that people who cannot for economic reasons go to v5. Or at list keep licensing with the new Ilok system also for HW v4. thank you

OrganoPleno

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 2:21 pm

atugores wrote:How about If I have a problem, say change of computer, buying new software (can I do that), or a simple failure of mac OS and I have to install all again (can I use HW v4), will MDA send a license for the dongle,

No need! Your HW 4 Dongle already contains the license. In case of a re-install, just use your existing download of the HW 4 installer. (I hope you kept that!) And your existing download for installing the Dongle Drivers for HW 4 (Likewise!)

And take good care of your Dongle!

patrice

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 3:36 pm

Hello,
After reading the message of atugores,
i can say i 'm exactly in the same position and of the same opinion
Some who are continnually on the forum since the " non announcement of 'v' " to say nothing of interest ,
saying good or bad of " V" might rather play organ ,if they can or know.
The great problem which has not been envisaged is: 1) What is the lifetime of the dongle?
2) Will there been a replacement by MDA in case of break or faulty?
Those points are essentials, because , in case of problems, you will find you with a magnificent totally unuseful console;
Another thing ,i'm a first user of hw , in 2002 ,and i'm running "xp 64" with plenty of polyphony ,large memory,
and no glitch and my wonderful hauptwerk
patrice

Romanos

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 8:38 pm

patrice wrote:Hello,
After reading the message of atugores,
i can say i 'm exactly in the same position and of the same opinion
Some who are continnually on the forum since the " non announcement of 'v' " to say nothing of interest ,
saying good or bad of " V" might rather play organ ,if they can or know.
The great problem which has not been envisaged is: 1) What is the lifetime of the dongle?
2) Will there been a replacement by MDA in case of break or faulty?
Those points are essentials, because , in case of problems, you will find you with a magnificent totally unuseful console;
Another thing ,i'm a first user of hw , in 2002 ,and i'm running "xp 64" with plenty of polyphony ,large memory,
and no glitch and my wonderful hauptwerk
patrice

The dongle is a regular usb dongle like any other. My hw dongle has lasted me 5 years without incident, and I’ve never had a single usb thumb drive die. You should expect the same of the ilok dongle.

Opus1954

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 10:28 pm

I am in the same position. Computers and software is my work but the more I want things at home to work. My day job is troubleshooting and configuring, but when I am home I just want to play. But also I see value in updating to V, and I like to do that...

I am looking for a simple checklist about this upgrade. Something like:
1 request updated sample set(s) from the vendor(s)
2 request / create a new dongle (do 1, 2,3)
3 reboot computer
4 remove old dongle and plug in new dongle (do 1,2,3 e.g. drivers?))
5 update hauptwerk to version V by running the installer
6 install /update updated sample sets in Haultwerk

Result: Everything works perfect: all settings are retained and I can just play again...

I know software and this is probably utopia. I hope to see someone's experience go through this process. Perhaps a YouTube video.

Frank

robsig

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 10:57 pm

I think it would be prudent to wait a while (many weeks, if not a few months) after the release to jump into the upgrade. I think early adopters are just looking for trouble. Wait until the kinks are worked out and knowledge is accumulated before making the change. There is really no pressing need to upgrade right away for most people. I have great hopes and great confidence in the producers who are very knowledgeable, dedicated and devoted to the success of Hauptwerk.

Of course this change is very unsettling, but let us be positive, all will be great and swell.

Also, it might be a good idea to entrust the upgrade to a professional, even if you are in the computer field yourself.

RS

engrssc

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 11:24 pm

Romanos wrote:The dongle is a regular usb dongle like any other. My hw dongle has lasted me 5 years without incident, and I’ve never had a single usb thumb drive die. You should expect the same of the ilok dongle.

The iLok device is metal, not plastic as are the existing dongles.

Rgds,
Ed
Last edited by engrssc on Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 11:42 pm

Ed,

What are you doing up so late? :mrgreen:

Marc

engrssc

PostThu Dec 05, 2019 11:45 pm

Doing research. This isn't late yet. I just got started. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

OrganoPleno

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 12:51 am

Opus1954 wrote:I am looking for a simple checklist about this upgrade...
Result: Everything works perfect: all settings are retained and I can just play again...

Sounds like a good idea. As I currently envision the matter, it should proceed something like this:

1) await release of the new HW 5 software (probably the most difficult step on this list)

2) study documentation when available

3) obtain iLok dongle (unless you will just be using Cloud licensing)

4) set up iLok account

5) download and install iLok software (could require OS updates if using Win7)

6) install the iLok software on your Hauptwerk computer, and if needed also on a computer with online access

7) consider whether to enroll for iLok's insurance against lost or stolen dongles

8 ) register your iLok dongle to your iLok account

9) download HW 5 to run as trial version

10) *** BACK-UP your HW 4 installation as thoroughly as you know how... possibly up to a full disk image

11) install HW 5 in a computer with online access

12) allow HW 5 to generate the free 2-week trial license in your iLok account

13) transfer this license to your iLok dongle

14) If necessary, install HW 5 on your Hauptwerk Computer and place the iLok dongle there as well

15) Run and evaluate HW 5

16) If evaluation proves unsatisfactory, uninstall HW 5 and
a) restore HW 4 from Back-ups... or
b) re-install HW 4 and then restore back-ups of all your settings.

17) If evaluation proves successful, purchase the appropriate license for HW 5 (advanced or lite, upgrade or straight, subscription or permanent) and transfer this license from your iLok account to your iLok dongle.

18) Re-install your encrypted Sample Sets with versions for HW 5 (as obtained from vendors, generally by download)

19) It has been stated that user settings are supposed to be carried forward and automatically converted to
HW 5 format.

20) When you are ready and absolutely certain that you will never want to go back to HW 4, then with the HW 4 dongle inserted, tell HW 5 to update everything to HW 5. This is the operation which over-writes all contents of the old dongle, while producing a new file which can (when processed by MDA) generate your licenses in your iLok account.

21) When the licenses are available, transfer them to your iLok dongle in the HW computer, and you're good to go.

22) If you are reluctant to give up HW 4, then you should purchase a fresh (not upgrade) license for HW 5, and maintain your HW 4 system independently of HW 5 by one means or another. Then HW 5 will be able to run all of your Unencrypted Sample Sets, as well as any new Sample Sets which you may purchase explicitly for HW 5.

mdyde

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 4:01 am

Hello OrganoPleno,

I think that's an excellent summary. Thanks!
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.
Next

Return to General discussion