It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:26 am

HW v5

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

IainStinson

Re: HW v5

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 4:04 am

Thanks for sharing your “plan”. Mine is very similar.

In case readers find it a little overwhelming it is worth pointing out that some of the steps are very simple and won’t take long.

If you don’t have a backup and recovery plan for your 4.2 system the backup step might take a while.

Re step 7: You can decide to join the iLOK ZDT scheme at any time, though there is a short period of six days before it becomes effective. The TLC option looks very attractive. See http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17781&p=133311&hilit=Ilok#p133163

Getting the HW 5 format files May take a while depending on how many of your sample sets need to be reinstalled.

Iain

patrice

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 4:12 am

engrssc wrote:
Romanos wrote:The dongle is a regular usb dongle like any other. My hw dongle has lasted me 5 years without incident, and I’ve never had a single usb thumb drive die. You should expect the same of the ilok dongle.

The iLok device is metal, not plastic as are the existing dongles.

Rgds,
Ed

hello,
Again unuseful answer : even if the dongle was in titanium ,it can stop to work
I want an answer from Martin DYDE :
1)What is the lifetime of the "inside of the "old" dongle? (electronic)
2)After the support period for HW4 how we do in case of die of the dongle? All is lost?
3)In correlation with that ,if the ilok die and the option of insurance hasnt been choosed
whats happen? All is lost?
Thanks to Martin for its almost 20years of advance which have changed the life of many organists ,professionals or amateurs
patrice

evertjan

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 4:36 am

Nice plan. Thanks.

Step 13 is obsolete. The trial license is automatically stored in the iLok dongle by HW5.
See viewtopic.php?p=133873#p133873

Before step 12 you have to start the iLok License Manager and sign in. And the ilok dongle must be connected to that PC.

mdyde

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 7:04 am

patrice wrote:Again unuseful answer : even if the dongle was in titanium ,it can stop to work
I want an answer from Martin DYDE :
1)What is the lifetime of the "inside of the "old" dongle? (electronic)

Hello Patrice,

I doubt anybody, even the makers of the dongles, could give you a definitive answer to that, or any absolute guarantees about lifespan. They're well-made, high-quality devices, and my experience is that dongles (both iLok and HASP) very rarely go wrong, and usually have long lives. For example, I've had three Hauptwerk v4 (HASP) dongles myself since c.2006, and none of them has ever gone wrong. I know from Brett that *very* few customers' Hauptwerk v4 dongles have ever needed to be replaced due to failure.

Dongles, like any electronic device *can* go wrong, and, like any electronic device, can be damaged by main power surges, or malfunctions of the computer they're attached to, for example. No computer hardware has an infinite lifetime.

If for Hauptwerk v5 you decide to use a dongle for licensing, and especially if you have lots of high-value product licences in it (for Hauptwerk, and/or for sample sets, and/or for non-Hauptwerk products) then I would highly recommend taking out PACE's iLok dongle insurance (ZDT/TLC: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133614 ).

patrice wrote:2)After the support period for HW4 how we do in case of die of the dongle? All is lost?

I'm not sure what Milan Digital Audio's plans are for that at the moment; Brett would be the person to answer that.

patrice wrote:3)In correlation with that ,if the ilok die and the option of insurance hasnt been choosed
whats happen? All is lost?

As above, we highly recommend taking out PACE's ZDT/TLC insurance for any dongles with high-value contents, which is the only guaranteed way to guard against loss/theft/damage/failure. For v2-v4 we have always strongly recommend insuring the contents of dongles for their full values (see page 11 in the Hauptwerk v4.2.1 user guide). However, for v5 there is a dedicated, more-convenient and more comprehensive, service available for that, in the form of PACE's ZDT/TLC.

If you choose to ignore that advice and your iLok dongle is lost/damaged/stolen or fails then you could try contacting Milan Digital Audio privately. (Again I don't know what MDA's poilcy on that is, which might perhaps depend on the details of the case. Replacing licences would certainly cost MDA money, since PACE charge MDA for each licence. Also, I imagine it might require agreement form the makers of any sample set producers from you had licences in the dongle.)

patrice wrote:Thanks to Martin for its almost 20years of advance which have changed the life of many organists ,professionals or amateurs

Thanks very much. Very kind of you. It's a pleasure.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

sonar11

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 8:54 am

robsig wrote:I think early adopters are just looking for trouble. Wait until the kinks are worked out and knowledge is accumulated before making the change. There is really no pressing need to upgrade right away for most people.

The pressing need is the new sample sets that are being held back until ver 5 is released. Probably at least 2 or 3 in the wings just waiting. And of course, the major set providers will not release in ver 4 anymore so, there's that.

smfrank

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 9:15 am

So it's now a week since the alleged release date.
CRICKETS..................
Steven Frank

ostrovitch

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 am

smfrank wrote:So it's now a week since the alleged release date.
CRICKETS..................

..And still non news..

einer_von_weitem

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 9:50 am

mdyde wrote:I'm not actually involved myself in the business side of Hauptwerk.

A pity! You seem to be the one grown-up around.

patrice wrote:Thanks to Martin for its almost 20years of advance which have changed the life of many organists ,professionals or amateurs

I couldn't agree more. Hauptwerk is unbelievably good. THANKS!
My Hauptwerk recordings on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJu6YY ... XMA/videos

einer_von_weitem

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 9:57 am

sonar11 wrote:The pressing need is the new sample sets that are being held back until ver 5 is released. Probably at least 2 or 3 in the wings just waiting. And of course, the major set providers will not release in ver 4 anymore so, there's that.

That's not a pressing need. There is no NEED, pressing or otherwise, for any unreleased sample set that you only know of by hearsay. Certainly not when there are already so many good ones to choose from. This is stamp collector syndrome.

(Of course there may be one or two instruments I wouldn't MIND being able to play on Hauptwerk ;-) But there are enough already that I bought and STILL haven't explored fully.)

And yes, you can still buy v.4 sample sets, even it seems from Sonus paradisi who have said they'll stop selling them when (if) v.5 (ever) comes out.
My Hauptwerk recordings on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJu6YY ... XMA/videos

atugores

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 10:18 am

Very good organopleno, I appreciate a list like yours and I also think it is necessary to help others as well as the opus1954 checklist, both very good and necessary, but this corroborates what I said in my first post, when I bought HW and my three samples, I need 10 minutes to have everything ready to PLAY MUSIC, install HW v4, connect the dongle (which by the way came included with HW, now it will cost me about 50 €/$ plus a few points of wonderfull cheklist to configure it), still I don't know if my poor Mac mini 16 gigs ram will be enough for v5, we'll see. In summary, 15 minutes or so last the installation of the v4 against 22 points of your checklist and a good amount of good luck that will be needed for HW v5, while we will be without PLAY, WITHOUT MUSIC that is what I want. but as robsig says we will be prudent and we will wait, and by the way it is as positive to love what you have as what you would like to have and maybe you cannot ... wait and see.
In Spain we use to say "No por mucho madrugar amanece mas temprano". So we will wait in the holding area. Thanks

profeluisegarcia

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 11:10 am

OrganoPleno wrote:
Opus1954 wrote:
22) If you are reluctant to give up HW 4, then you should purchase a fresh (not upgrade) license for HW 5, and maintain your HW 4 system independently of HW 5 by one means or another. Then HW 5 will be able to run all of your Unencrypted Sample Sets, as well as any new Sample Sets which you may purchase explicitly for HW 5.

Please, what does imply the bold clause? Another computer? Another HW configuration?
Thanks,
Luis

profeluisegarcia

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 11:28 am

einer_von_weitem wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Hauptwerk is unbelievably good. THANKS!

Perhaps this is not the place-topic, but I heartly join to this chorus.
Sincerely,
Luis
Last edited by profeluisegarcia on Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonar11

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 11:40 am

einer_von_weitem wrote:
sonar11 wrote:The pressing need is the new sample sets that are being held back until ver 5 is released. Probably at least 2 or 3 in the wings just waiting. And of course, the major set providers will not release in ver 4 anymore so, there's that.

That's not a pressing need. There is no NEED, pressing or otherwise, for any unreleased sample set that you only know of by hearsay. Certainly not when there are already so many good ones to choose from. This is stamp collector syndrome.

(Of course there may be one or two instruments I wouldn't MIND being able to play on Hauptwerk ;-) But there are enough already that I bought and STILL haven't explored fully.)

And yes, you can still buy v.4 sample sets, even it seems from Sonus paradisi who have said they'll stop selling them when (if) v.5 (ever) comes out.

Yes there is a need. I just said, if you want the latest samples that are coming out, then you need to upgrade. Whether you consider that "pressing" or not is irrelevant, because I certainly do. I'm looking forward to one confirmed sample.

The point is: SP has confirmed only new sets are ver 5. OAM will definitely not do anymore ver 4 (judging by his comments when the hack was revealed months ago). MDA, well they're not doing much anymore but guranteed they won't do ver 4. Etc etc.

In fact, isn't it logical that any SS producer which releases a new sample relying on encryption, will want to target ver 5? It's illogical to release an encrypted set nowadays that relies on ver 4 which we all know is cracked.

You may call it "stamp collector syndrome all you like". That's your opinion, but if you want a new sample that has yet to be released, chances are, you NEED to upgrade. And yes, many of us do purchase new samples when they are released. So for many of us, we NEED to upgrade.

(Need being defined in the context of HW and wanting to play and enjoy organ music in the future, obviously we're not defining need as in "you need this to live").

engrssc

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 11:42 am

sonar11 wrote:The pressing need is the new sample sets that are being held back until ver 5 is released

Please share with us the specific ones you are referring to. :? I might just be interested. :wink:

One thing the "negatives" did me is, as a result, I won a bet as to who and when this yammering (again) would happen, tho I was off slightly :cry: in the timing as I wagered it would start sooner. :P
Thanks, guys.

And I do know what "needs" are as I need to have an important surgery next week, one that I'm not at all looking to having.

Rgds,
Ed

pwhodges

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 11:59 am

profeluisegarcia wrote:
OrganoPleno wrote:
Opus1954 wrote:
22) If you are reluctant to give up HW 4, then you should purchase a fresh (not upgrade) license for HW 5, and maintain your HW 4 system independently of HW 5 by one means or another. Then HW 5 will be able to run all of your Unencrypted Sample Sets, as well as any new Sample Sets which you may purchase explicitly for HW 5.

Please, what does imply the bold clause? Another computer? Another HW configuration?
Thanks,
Luis

Unless you are very techie, it means another computer.

Paul
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion