It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

HW v5

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

M. Qualley

Site Admin

Re: HW v5

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 10:11 am

SIMPLE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS

This new web page should help as well:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/upgrading/

Thanks!
Michelle
Michelle Qualley
Director of Marketing & Business Operations
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

ReinerS

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 11:35 am

M. Qualley wrote:SIMPLE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS

Thanks!
Michelle

I love the last point: "Load your favorite instruments into Hauptwerk and ENJOY!"

No mention at all that sample sets (encrypted sets that is) require re-installing them, no mention either that on MacOS it is necessary to completely uninstall HW4 before installing the new version.

Somehow I don't get it. If the upgrade is as simple as stated in this colorful how-to, then what is all the discussion in the forum about? Are we talking about different upgrades here?

Sorry Michelle and Brett, this link is fooling your customers into believing that it's as simple as saying 1-2-3 to upgrade to HW V, and to be honest, with all the effort that I and other sample set producers had to create the new versions of our sets and all the effort we currently have to support our customers and explain to them the steps required to upgrade, I feel somewhat despised by this.

There are a number of step by step procedures posted by users here (funny that they require so many more steps than the simple procedure you are posting officially), why don't you post a complete procedure like that?

We all work very hard to make this step to HW V a success! Please help your customers by posting a complete upgrade procedure and not fluffy advertising speech!

Best regards
Reiner

OrganoPleno

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 5:33 pm

ReinerS wrote:We all work very hard to make this step to HW V a success! Please help your customers by posting a complete upgrade procedure and not fluffy advertising speech!

Here's a refresher link to my own earlier "step-by-step":

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17868&p=134020#p134020

patrice

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 5:49 pm

ReinerS wrote:
M. Qualley wrote:SIMPLE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS

Thanks!
Michelle

I love the last point: "Load your favorite instruments into Hauptwerk and ENJOY!"

No mention at all that sample sets (encrypted sets that is) require re-installing them, no mention either that on MacOS it is necessary to completely uninstall HW4 before installing the new version.

Somehow I don't get it. If the upgrade is as simple as stated in this colorful how-to, then what is all the discussion in the forum about? Are we talking about different upgrades here?

Sorry Michelle and Brett, this link is fooling your customers into believing that it's as simple as saying 1-2-3 to upgrade to HW V, and to be honest, with all the effort that I and other sample set producers had to create the new versions of our sets and all the effort we currently have to support our customers and explain to them the steps required to upgrade, I feel somewhat despised by this.

There are a number of step by step procedures posted by users here (funny that they require so many more steps than the simple procedure you are posting officially), why don't you post a complete procedure like that?

We all work very hard to make this step to HW V a success! Please help your customers by posting a complete upgrade procedure and not fluffy advertising speech!

Best regards
Reiner

And you omit to speak of the download of v5 organ,for us
I spent all the week end ,night and day for only 2 organs and not too big organs: one : 7 packages /4GB each/2h30 each
another 9 packages 4gb/2h30each my max flow is 480k/s

Romanos

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 5:55 pm

Yes, Reiner. I had the same thoughts. I looked at the guide and thought, “seems a few steps are missing here...”. If I hadn’t checked the forum first, I’d have never known the process would be so much more elaborate for me on a Mac.

James

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Additionally, for a Mac, it is necessary to have OS Sierra or above. My Mac Pro only goes as high as OS 10.7.5, and can not go to the minimum OS 10.13, as required by the upgrade to Hauptwerk V. So for me, a new to me Mac with High Sierra at $1000.00 solved that dilemma. There were a few cheaper ones on EBay, but I wanted the 64 gigs ram, as long as I was doing it. I haven't yet started to move everything over to it yet, but i envision many more hours for upgraded drivers for the touch screen and audio stuff. After that, I can start the Hauptwerk V installation, the removal of 4.2, the contacting the sample set providers for the updated license needs, and downloading all the sample sets that must be reinstalled. Zwolle alone will probably take at least 6 to 8 hours. Conservatively, I estimate I will have to spend 40 to 60 hours for the whole process. I would guess that I am only one of probably hundreds of users who will be going through this. I am somewhat bemused that MDA is so casual about what is involved.
James

TomBentley

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 6:47 pm

Just a word of encouragement ... when it came to doing the ilok and HW5 license it was pretty easy. The tricky part that I think a lot of people, including me, had trouble and seemed not to be very well referenced was the LicensePackage file that you had to install within HW5, that one was hard for me to wrap my head around and I think many missed it on their first attempt. I can't speak from the perspective of a trial because I just want straight to the purchased license upgrade but overall I've survived. One organ outstanding for me (and a few other folks) is the Mt. Carmel Wet set. There seems to be some issues there, and I really don't know if its software MDA problem, or home operator error but I'm sure it will get sorted soon. Keep the faith and we'll make it I'm sure.

Tom

einer_von_weitem

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 2:53 am

James wrote:...for me, a new to me Mac with High Sierra at $1000.00 solved that dilemma. ... I haven't yet started to move everything over to it yet, but i envision many more hours for upgraded drivers for the touch screen and audio stuff. After that, I can start the Hauptwerk V installation, the removal of 4.2, the contacting the sample set providers for the updated license needs, and downloading all the sample sets that must be reinstalled. Zwolle alone will probably take at least 6 to 8 hours. Conservatively, I estimate I will have to spend 40 to 60 hours for the whole process. I would guess that I am only one of probably hundreds of users who will be going through this. I am somewhat bemused that MDA is so casual about what is involved.
James

What bemuses me James is that you are even doing it. Whatever for? The added reverb that you could have by other means? A few more audio channels or polyphony that presumably you never knew you needed? A supposed enhancement in sound quality that few people mention, fewer still seem sure isn't merely subjective and that remains undocumented? More sample sets when clearly you have many? You have spent 1000 dollars on a new machine just to save 200 dollars on an upgrade you could perform at any time in the future? Yes, your HASP dongle could break. An event hopefully as likely as your house burning down. To me this rush to upgrade looks like nothing so much as stampeding lemmings.
My Hauptwerk recordings on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJu6YY ... XMA/videos

www.orgeljournal.de

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 12:54 pm

ReinerS wrote:... and not fluffy advertising speech!

einer_von_weitem wrote:To me this rush to upgrade looks like nothing so much as stampeding lemmings.

Indeed.

Matthias
(Customer since 2005)

TheOrganDoc

PostSat Feb 08, 2020 5:12 pm

Hello Patrice,
Are you "Successfully" using Hauptwerk V5, in your Vista 64 machine ?
This is very important to me as "my entire Organ" is running on "Win Vista 64",
(As I did not think that V5 would run on Vista 64).
"Until I find out for sure I will continue to play Hauptwerk V4 on my organ !

BTW I have been a Hauptwerker, since 2004, guess that is 15 Years ?

patrice wrote:Hello,
After reading the message of atugores,
i can say i 'm exactly in the same position and of the same opinion
Some who are continnually on the forum since the " non announcement of 'v' " to say nothing of interest ,
saying good or bad of " V" might rather play organ ,if they can or know.
The great problem which has not been envisaged is: 1) What is the lifetime of the dongle?
2) Will there been a replacement by MDA in case of break or faulty?
Those points are essentials, because , in case of problems, you will find you with a magnificent totally unuseful console;
Another thing ,i'm a first user of hw , in 2002 ,and i'm running "xp 64" with plenty of polyphony ,large memory,
and no glitch and my wonderful hauptwerk
patrice
Mel..............TheOrganDoc...............

mdyde

PostSun Feb 09, 2020 5:07 am

Hello Mel (TheOrganDoc),

Francois and myself replied via to your question in the Technical Support section of the forum on Vista compatibility: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18341
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

patrice

PostSun Feb 09, 2020 5:17 am

<<Hello, the organdoc
i think you have misread!
i was in xp 64 and upgrade recently to win7 64
but y have not upgraded to hw5,i had tried ,a nightmare!
i'll stay with hw4 and i'm so happy with
patrice
Previous

Return to General discussion