It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:09 am

HW v5

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Re: HW v5

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 10:19 pm

smfrank wrote:
engrssc wrote:[Quite sure that page is not ready to be used yet. Probably being used for testing by MDA.
Ha! On that page it says, “Limited Time Upgrade Pricing Through December 7, 2019‘“

Keep in mind we're talking unofficial test page here, and we did have an unexpected delay (which I'm fine with BTW). If MDA has gone to the extent of exposing this info online for those who wish to dig around to find it, I'd expect the dates to take advantage of these offers will be adjusted accordingly. Just hold on to ur shorts there :wink:

Marc
Last edited by 1961TC4ME on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaymondList

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 10:19 pm

smfrank wrote:
engrssc wrote:[Quite sure that page is not ready to be used yet. Probably being used for testing by MDA.
Ha! On that page it says, “Limited Time Upgrade Pricing Through December 7, 2019‘“

This is indicative of the fall-out from the delay. It is one thing to move to a more powerful server (to be done at the mercy of their hosting provider), but the likely rebuilding of many pages that require edits due to the delay is no small task. I'm certain this is not a fun time for MDA.
Ray

engrssc

PostFri Dec 06, 2019 11:39 pm

RaymondList wrote:This is indicative of the fall-out from the delay. It is one thing to move to a more powerful server (to be done at the mercy of their hosting provider), but the likely rebuilding of many pages that require edits due to the delay is no small task. I'm certain this is not a fun time for MDA.

Certainly appears to be the case. Along that line, I would be thinking the product, (Martin's work) is not the issue, but rather getting it out to us seems to be more likely.. Several of us have had that theory for some time. That's why we've mentioned no plans to do anything until after the holidays. And that's really ok. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

einer_von_weitem

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 5:49 am

Sod "negativity". I want this to be considered. I agree with James who said earlier that Brett Milan seemed to "have lost interest" -- that really sums it up. I'm also puzzled by several responses from B.M. to various people on Facebook where he says he has not received emails they say they sent to him and could they resend them -- with all of them dutifully and uncomplainingly saying they would. Gernot Wurst of Prospectum has said on the Hauptwerk forum that he repeatedly emailed MDA this year without getting a response. How likely is it that emails from several people (at least two of them sample set producers) to MDA really got lost? And what we now have seems to be this: Martin Dyde has, I presume, yet again come up with a dependable new version of his wonderful software that adds some features though probably does not do much for the sound (because that would be pretty much impossible). More importantly, this new version enables sample set protection and the licensing system to be turned over to a third party (ilok). All that's left to do for MDA is to collect what economists call a rent. They don't do anything any more, they just get our money. (And for that subscription is of course MUCH better than the single payment system, so expect the latter to remain under pressure.) We need to ask ourselves (and that INCLUDES sample set producers -- however much I understand that they need protection from piracy): do we really want to support this? Many have greeted the announcement of v.5 as a welcome sign of life from MDA, an indication that there is a future. But is this a future we can want? (We are actually being held to ransom. We are told to expect increasing operating system compatibility problems if we do not upgrade. We are told, at least by implication, that we cannot expect a remedy for lost or broken HASP dongles if we do not upgrade. And we are told that we cannot expect to be able to buy new encrypted sample sets if we don't go through a 22 step checklist, pay quite a lot of money to MDA and some more to an ilok dongle vendor to upgrade.)
My Hauptwerk recordings on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJu6YY ... XMA/videos

mdyde

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 7:12 am

Hello Einer,

einer_von_weitem wrote:We are told to expect increasing operating system compatibility problems if we do not upgrade.

In fairness, that's true of all software, and computer technology in general. Support for new platforms is added in new software versions. Over time, if you want to use newer platforms then sooner or later you need to use newer versions of software that have support for them.

einer_von_weitem wrote:We are told, at least by implication, that we cannot expect a remedy for lost or broken HASP dongles if we do not upgrade.

To clarify, I didn't say or imply that MDA won't replace broken HASP dongles; I simply said that I'm not currently aware what MDA's policy is on that at the moment.

einer_von_weitem wrote:And we are told that we cannot expect to be able to buy new encrypted sample sets if we don't go through a 22 step checklist

Please also bear in mind that at least half of OrganoPleno's 22 steps would actually have applied equally to any previous major Hauptwerk version upgrade (e.g. v2->v3, or v3->v4). Step 19 is just a note (not a step as such). Previous major version upgrades would also have had a couple of additional steps (for updating the Hauptwerk version licence in the v4 HASP dongle).

The main differences are the need to re-download and re-install copy-protected sample sets, and the need to add/transfer licences to iLok (replacing the HASP dongle that v2->v4 used).

None of the steps is difficult (although I appreciate that the process of re-downloading and re-installing sample sets might take some time, and therefore inconvenience, especially if one has a slow Internet connection and a lot of large sample sets).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

einer_von_weitem

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 8:08 am

Noted. Thank you Martin.
My Hauptwerk recordings on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJu6YY ... XMA/videos

smfrank

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 1:53 pm

M. Qualley » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:39 pm
Just to alert to all of you who have been circulating pricing. These are inaccurate.

Pricing will be released with HW 5. All pricing info floating around are from an old test site and are not published.

Please stop circulating misinformation. Only believe what is posted by us

Hmm, after days a post with a bit of edge.
We have tried to believe your posts, but they seem to lack credibility at this point.
Steve
Steven Frank

engrssc

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 2:16 pm

smfrank wrote:Hmm, after days a post with a bit of edge.
We have tried to believe your posts, but they seem to lack credibility at this point.
Steve

You apparently haven't seen Michelle's latest post :wink:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17873

Might be a good reason to consider being just a little positive. :)

Rgds,
ed

smfrank

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 2:46 pm

engrssc wrote:You apparently haven't seen Michelle's latest post :wink:

I have since seen it. I have been scouring this forum for well over a week.
I don't need to be chided about my attitude, even when accompanied by a wink.
Steve
Steven Frank

blueband95

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 2:50 pm

smfrank wrote:
engrssc wrote:You apparently haven't seen Michelle's latest post :wink:

I have since seen it. I have been scouring this forum for well over a week.
I don't need to be chided about my attitude, even when accompanied by a wink.
Steve

Ed, as much as we admire your positivity and optimism, Steve's got a point.

engrssc

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Your call, Steve. I wasn't meaning to chide you, please accept my apology. I really do understand your position.

I was considering this latest info as being good news.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 3:29 pm

blueband95 wrote:Ed, as much as we admire your positivity and optimism, Steve's got a point.

And I can accept this. I can see everyone being frustrated, but it's nice to see developments to be happy and positive about as well. Just guessing, but we can only imagine the frustration level of all those involved at MDA. when it seems no matter what they did, things aren't working out. But that appears to be changing. :)

As a personal, note, while caring for my wife of 52 years, my frustration level was "off the chart". In spite of everything we did, and we spared nothing, things didn't work out. That became a reality when the nurse called me at 1:15 AM back in January that my wife had just "expired" as a result of her having Alzheimers..

Someone might think that's a different situation, but the feeling of being frustrated after doing your best, can be applied to many different situations as well.

OTHO here is a view of a positive gesture worth smiling about:
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/made-us-smile/watch-woman-captures-amazon-delivery-drivers-delight-at-basket-of-treats-left-at-her-door

Hoping that same sentiment will be for us soon.

Rgds,
Ed

ostrovitch

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 5:03 pm

The frustration is not so much because of the delay, V4 is working so fine.

The First frustration is to see the wonderfull work of Martin Dyde being wasted by a stupid web site.

The second frustration is that MDA, to make up for the delay, does not even give us the V5 user manual to chew

1961TC4ME

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 5:56 pm

I can understand after a very long wait followed up by a further but enexpected delay that things can be frustrating. My v4 organ didn't suddenly blow up 2 weeks ago and quit working. I too am excited to see what v5 has to offer, but on the other hand can certainly understand MDA waiting until everything is working correctly. Since the announcement there's been several posts started and about a zillion questions already. Can you imagine what would happen if they decided to roll the dice, release it before they're sure all is good to go and the show that would create if there were problems? As for the users manual, I can see not releasing it early because if you can't physically look at the new version of Haupterk in front of you and questions come up requiring you to have it up and running in front of you, what good is it? It's like trying to buy a car with all kinds of new features, you have paperwork, but no car to look at. It could also be possible there's things to come with v5 that may be a pleasant surprise for all of us and the manual may let that cat out of the bag before they want it out.

Mow the lawn, shovel your sidewalk, have a beer, smoke a cigarette, fix your car, go shopping, go for a walk, get that other project done you've been meaning to do, play your v4 organ or whatever, but relax. All will be good. There's plenty of things to do besides sitting here fretting.

Marc

engrssc

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 6:16 pm

Right on Marc. I think the vast majority of us will agree. And hopefully the few that aren't so sure, will eventually "come around" and join us. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion