It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:52 am

Post web site and forum errors HERE ONLY

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

RaymondList

Re: Post web site and forum errors HERE ONLY

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 8:49 am

pwhodges wrote:
RaymondList wrote:Yes you can. It just works a little differently. It is the little red arrow under the 'Last Post' column.

That goes to the last post, not the first unread post, which is quite different. I run forums, some using the same system (phpBB), and so I know that the icon to the left of the thread listing should do that - it's failing to, even though the mouse-over text says it does.

Paul

I'm sorry it is not working for you, but it works fine for me using Safari. I just clicked it for this topic and was taken to the first post I had not read. There were 2 1/2 pages more for me to read.
Ray

mwdiers

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 9:17 am

So, downloads of Hauptwerk are entirely broken now. The download I had running last night failed. I've requested links 6 times over, and every one of them just errors out with a network error, whether in Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.

Guys, seriously. Why aren't your downloads hosted on something scalable, like AWS, Google Cloud Platform, Azure, or Rackspace? These are solved problems. No one should be hosting downloads on their own servers, whether on prem, or colo.

RichardW

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 9:28 am

pwhodges wrote:That goes to the last post, not the first unread post, which is quite different.

It does exactly the same for me. It goes to the most recent post in the thread and not the first one that I have not read.

So now, I select "last" and have to scroll back to see which where I need to start.
Return to the earlier functionality would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard

anco111

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 9:35 am

Of course there is trouble downloading. They force us to donwload asap, otherwise we have to pay extra money.
Now everyone wants to download at the same time before its too late.
They shouldn't have put such a tight time restriction on the upgrade

kaspencer

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 10:10 am

I hesitate to raise another issue, as it could just be due to the website/email overload:

I submitted my payment and had it acknowledged just after 1200 noon (GMT), and requested the download link straight after that. But so far no link email has been received. Should I submit another download link request I wonder.

I will wait another three hours before doing so, unless I hear other advice in the meantime!

Still I suppose all this overload on websites and servers means that MDA will have a very prfitable year 2019-20!

Good luck and best wsihes,

Kenneth Spencer
Kenneth Spencer
Music Site: http://www.my-music.mywire.org
Project Page: http://www.my-music.mywire.org/opus_ii.htm
Books on Hauptwerk and Computing; Novation Launchpad overlays: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/kaspencer
YouTube Videos: http://www.youtube.com/kaspenceruk

smfrank

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 10:18 am

anco111 wrote:Of course there is trouble downloading.

I have several times since yesterday.
I get to 99% then it just stops.
Of course I'm adding somewhat to the traffic.
I have Win7 and Free download Manager.
Tried 2 other download managers, including Microsoft, but they never even begin due to server errors.
WHAT IS UP?!?!?!!
Steven Frank

anco111

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 10:19 am

smfrank wrote:.
WHAT IS UP?!?!?!!

server overload

smfrank

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 10:23 am

anco111 wrote:
smfrank wrote:.
WHAT IS UP?!?!?!!

server overload

FIX IT!!
Why do I keep getting to 99% then stop?
Seems like once your 'in', you should get served!
Steven Frank

einer_von_weitem

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 10:44 am

Don't take it out on Martin Dyde.

One has seriously to wonder why the new website could not (or was not) tested properly and fully before going live, and why they apparently didn't think many people would actually use it -- when at the same time they're giving their loyal customers LESS THAN A WEEK to upgrade with a relatively small discount on what seems a disproportionately high price. (This sounds as if I had just answered the last part of my question but evidently I haven't.)

But I mean, what did you expect guys? MDA -- the "business side" of it -- hasn't worked well for months and you've griped about it continually. Why would it suddenly turn in a stellar performance? The triumph of hope over experience (as Dr Johnson called it, if in an entirely different context).
My Hauptwerk recordings on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJu6YY ... XMA/videos

mwdiers

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 10:56 am

Ok, you guys have a serious issue with the downloads beyond the overloaded servers. The downloads are getting corrupted, because Wordpress is pre-pending error messages in HTML format, to the beginning of the downloaded file. This is being caused by the download-monitor plugin, which is not smart enough to handle download errors properly.

In this case, the download-monitor is trying to open a target URL and stream the data on to your customer. The fopen command fails, and download-monitor retries. Unfortunately, it is streaming the results of these failures (the error messages in HTML format) on to your customers as file data.

I discovered this because when I finally did get a download to complete, the resulting file was corrupted. On a hunch, I opened the DMG in vim, and found the following lines at the beginning of the file repeated several time, followed by the actual binary file content:

Code: Select all
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  fopen(http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/hauptwerk/InstallHauptwerk_v5.0.0.333.dmg): failed to open stream: HTTP     request failed! HTTP/1.1 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable^M
in <b>/home/customer/www/hauptwerk.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/src/DownloadHandler.php</b> on line <b>6    71</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/customer/www/hauptwerk.com/    public_html/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/src/DownloadHandler.php:671) in <b>/home/customer/www/hauptwerk.com/public_html/    wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/src/DownloadHandler.php</b> on line <b>554</b><br />

So this means that you are wasting tons of bandwidth as people download corrupted files over and over again.

I might add that these error messages allowed me to very quickly download an uncorrupted file, so your download bottleneck here is entirely being caused by WP sitting in between your customers and your download server. Streaming file downloads through a Wordpress plugin is a recipe for disaster, as you no doubt must have concluded by now.

You can probably fix this in Download Manager by changing the download types to redirect. You still are tracking the number of downloads, and who is downloading, but your customers would be downloading directly from your download site, which seems to have plenty of bandwidth.
Last edited by mwdiers on Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:50 am, edited 7 times in total.

murph

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 11:21 am

Currently, the user log-in is not working on the downloads/main website.

mmayse

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 11:51 am

mwdiers -- THANK YOU for posting this!

fjonker

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 11:53 am

Yes... thanks mwdiers....good analysis!

The direct link to the Mac installer is: http://www.downloadhauptwerk.com/hauptw ... .0.333.dmg

Just downloaded ... and it seems intact.

RaymondList

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Thanks so much for that link! I just downloaded it in under 2 minutes! The disk image mounted too! Now, do I have the guts to click on the installer????? Thanks again!
Ray

OrganoPleno

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 12:06 pm

murph wrote:Currently, the user log-in is not working on the downloads/main website.

Using Firefox and Windows. Last evening the Website Login at upper right was not working, but the "Register" option at upper right WAS working, and opened a Log-In page for existing users (curiously enough). Logging in from here was the FIRST time I've seen the proper features of being Logged In... such as a chance to change my password, and a chance to actually Log Out as well. Even when properly logged in, the items at upper right (which now DID include a "Log Out" option) still failed to function (including that option for "Log Out).

Looks like there's still a ways to go.

Do other companies find it so difficult to get a simple website to function properly? (Log-In, Log-Out, read features, download pdf's, operate a store...) Surely this has all been worked out before... time and time again.
PreviousNext

Return to General discussion