It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:17 am

V5 upgrade...What’s the bottom line?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

GWBeem

V5 upgrade...What’s the bottom line?

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 8:59 pm

It’s been quite some time (maybe a year or two) since I have been on the forum but when I received an email with a promo code for V5 upgrade, I thought I better check things out only to find a hornet’s nest of conversation taking place. I was caught off guard with the whole upgrade issue including the timeline that had been presented to us. Trying to find out information by reading post after post has become overwhelming and downloading the V5 documentation has been frustrating. I finally managed to get the documentation downloaded this morning. There is simply too much to absorb so quickly! The iLok implementation is confusing though I understand it in concept.

I knew Version 5 would come eventually, but I never envisioned it would come in such a surprising way with such unreasonable time restraints tied to it. I am all for constant improvement of which the upgrade process is a part of, but coming at such an inconvenient time during the Advent/Christmas season where church musicians are short on time with planning, rehearsals, services, etc. is, to say the least, not well thought out!

As a professional organist, like many of you, my Hauptwerk setup is my main practice instrument next to the instrument at the church where I am employed, so I rely on it day in and day out. I know I need to keep it current if I want to maintain its viability as a practice instrument which ultimately means upgrading to V5. I know I don’t want to do the upgrade now with the potential of compromising my setup at this crucial time. Can’t afford any instrument downtime or troubleshooting time until after Christmas.

So.....in order to take advantage of the promo code by the given deadline date (assuming that the date isn’t extended), what do I need to do?

1. Can I just purchase the upgrade now and wait to activate the V5 upgrade at a later time?
2. Is it downloaded onto my computer but just not activated?
3. Do I need an iLok account before I purchase?
4. Do I need to have an iLok dongle before upgrading my license (I prefer to keep my licenses close to home)?

What’s the bottom line?

Greg

mnailor

Re: V5 upgrade...What’s the bottom line?

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 9:23 pm

1. Can I just purchase the upgrade now and wait to activate the V5 upgrade at a later time?
Yes, you can buy the upgrade, get your license, and save it in your ilok account for whenever you're ready to upgrade HW later. Installing the upgrade is independent of the license.

2. Is it downloaded onto my computer but just not activated?
No and yes. It's loaded into your ilok account, not on your computer. Your MDA purchase sends you an email with an activation code you give the ilok manager program to get the license into your account. Later, you can activate the license to a dongle when ready.

3. Do I need an iLok account before I purchase?
Yes. It costs nothing to create an account, but you need it to buy the license. Also download and install ilok manager.

4. Do I need to have an iLok dongle before upgrading my license (I prefer to keep my licenses close to home)?
No, you can buy an ilok 3 or 2 usb dongle later when you're ready to upgrade the HW software to V5.

mnailor

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Please see the FAQs on licensing here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833&start=15

You can pick out the FAQ topics that fit your situation.

Also look at the release notes and only the install/update section of the V5 user guide. That should give you a better idea of what to do now and what can be deferred to a better time.

GWBeem

PostWed Dec 11, 2019 11:20 pm

Thank you for your helpful response, mnailor. This puts me more at ease knowing that I can purchase now and install/activate later. Also, your FAQs link was very helpful in clarifying the license/iLok piece of the equation.

Greg

pwhodges

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 4:22 am

mnailor wrote:4. Do I need to have an iLok dongle before upgrading my license (I prefer to keep my licenses close to home)?
No, you can buy an ilok 3 or 2 usb dongle later when you're ready to upgrade the HW software to V5.

Or not at all if you are content with letting your HW computer keep authenticating the licences over the Internet.

Paul

GWBeem

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 9:54 am

Thanks, Paul. It’s always an option.

Greg

blueband95

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 10:55 am

GWBeem wrote:
As a professional organist, like many of you, my Hauptwerk setup is my main practice instrument next to the instrument at the church where I am employed, so I rely on it day in and day out. I know I need to keep it current if I want to maintain its viability as a practice instrument which ultimately means upgrading to V5. I know I don’t want to do the upgrade now with the potential of compromising my setup at this crucial time. Can’t afford any instrument downtime or troubleshooting time until after Christmas.

Greg

Thanks, Greg. You mirror many of our concerns and frustration with how this has been handled, particularly the timing. Most of us genuinely want HW and MDA to succeed, are interested in what HW-V has to offer, and have no problem paying a fair price for the product. But we don't like to be placed under unreasonable pressure to pay for the upgrade now or miss out on the opportunity, especially during the busiest time of year for organists.

Return to General discussion