It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:47 pm

HW 5.0 disk usage

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

JulianMoney-Kyrle

HW 5.0 disk usage

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 8:59 am

Something that has concerned me about Hauptwerk is that it is very profligate with its consumption of hard drive space. Any given sampleset requires space for the installation files, then the samples themselves which are decompressed at installation, and finally the cached samples generated the first time the sampleset is used. This means that everything is represented (albeit in different forms) at least three times, and possibly as many as six, since each alternate configuration of Hauptwerk generates its own cache (taking nearly an hour in the process in some cases). For large organs this can run to many tens of gigabytes or more. I have already had to spread my Hauptwerk installation over three hard drives so that there is room on the fastest one (the SSD) for the caches, to minimise loading time, and I don't have enough space even so to maintain multiple alternative configurations. Uninstalling an organ from an alternate configuration doesn't delete the cache, either, so to free up disk space you have to poke around in the HW file structure, with its arcane naming system, and hope that you don't delete something immportant.

Before upgrading I would like to know whether HW 5.0 uses disk space more efficiently. There is a hint that perhaps it might, given that the audio engine has been completely rewritten and apparently the cache does not have to be regenerated every time anything is changed.

chr.schmitz

Re: HW 5.0 disk usage

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 10:48 am

Space consumptions of HW4 and HHW5 are identical. However, the organ definition file (*. Organ_Hauptwerk_xml) and OrganInstallationPackages need to be only once on your hard disk (or SSD). Only cache files (plus a few configuration files, which do not require too much space on your disk) are created for each alternate configuration.

In order to use your SSD as effective as possible, you could leave your OrganInstallationPackages on a second drive. If this is a normal hard disk, the very first run, when the the cache is built, will be slower, but as soon as the cache is created on your SSD, your system works at full speed.

Best,
Chris

elgoosey

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 10:55 am

How do you get it to work off two HDD. I click install and it obviously does what ever it wants in terms of installation destination. But my HDD is full up but another one is empty and I'd like to be able to install more sample sets at some point.

Sorry for the slight hijack. If anyone has info or a link at all.

John

chr.schmitz

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 10:58 am

If you choose "Custom Installation" in the installer, you can choose where Hauptwerk stores your OrganInstallationPackages and the HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles.

BTW: You can re-run the installer to move your current folders to other places.

Best,
Chris

mwdiers

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 1:18 pm

chr.schmitz wrote:Space consumptions of HW4 and HHW5 are identical. However, the organ definition file (*. Organ_Hauptwerk_xml) and OrganInstallationPackages need to be only once on your hard disk (or SSD). Only cache files (plus a few configuration files, which do not require too much space on your disk) are created for each alternate configuration.

In order to use your SSD as effective as possible, you could leave your OrganInstallationPackages on a second drive. If this is a normal hard disk, the very first run, when the the cache is built, will be slower, but as soon as the cache is created on your SSD, your system works at full speed.

Best,
Chris

Actually, space consumption on HW5 is lower than HW4 for any of the new-style sample sets, as those sets are losslessly compressed before they are encrypted, and are only decompressed when they are cached.

chr.schmitz

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Actually, space consumption on HW5 is lower than HW4 for any of the new-style sample sets, as those sets are losslessly compressed before they are encrypted, and are only decompressed when they are cached.

Are your sure? I just made a quick check with one installation package I have in both HW4 and HW5 format. Both packages are of almost identical size. The HW5 package is even slightly larger -- but only 0.005 % :wink:

Chris

mwdiers

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 1:39 pm

chr.schmitz wrote:

Are your sure? I just made a quick check with one installation package I have in both HW4 and HW5 format. Both packages are of almost identical size. The HW5 package is even slightly larger -- but only 0.005 % :wink:

Chris

It was certainly true of the Pipeloops set I just downloaded.

chr.schmitz

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 1:45 pm

It was certainly true of the Pipeloops set I just downloaded.

This is something I can confirm. I also checked a Pipeloops installation package. The HW5 version is more than 40 % smaller! Wow! :o

It depends obviously...

mdyde

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Hello Julian,

Disk usage is essentially the same in v5 as v4, except that some encrypted sample sets might take up a bit less space due to compression, as has been mentioned.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to General discussion