It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:48 pm

Another Open Letter To Hauptwerk

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

patrice

Re: Another Open Letter To Hauptwerk

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Yes interesting!
I searched that because i was curious of the lifetime of a dongle ,electonically speaking,and because Martin answered me that i can use indefinitelly Hw4 whith the dongle which is reliable.
Effectively ,i never had problems with the dongle,but if it happened ,i was covered by the support of MDA,as it is mentioned in
the user guide and the policie.
The great problem now ,is that i am dependant of the good will of MDA, whom i respect
ALL my hardware, software,and ability to play organ is conditionned by this "little piece of green plastic"(LPOGP)
As i'm a little electronician ,and looking the datasheet of the HASP HL i see That the "data retention" is "at least 10Years"
Its possibly 20years or 10years and 1 day :when does the first version 2.10 with the bundled dongle was sold?...
What is the age of my dongle?

sonar11

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 1:59 pm

Patrice, this is probably more your area than mine. But isn't the memory stored on this device "refreshed" when it is written out? So if you installed a new sample, you get a license update, that update flashes your usb hasp and then the memory in that device is completely updated (electronically) at that point? So the data/signal might decay from the time that you last updated your dongle, not when you purchased it?

It probably depends on the type of ram that is used, and how it was built, but I still have old-ish computers (486 cpu) that still have data that can be read from bios successfully. Of course the hard drive itself is pooched.

patrice

PostSat Dec 14, 2019 2:18 pm

no it is the capacity of the components( 'eeprom') to keep the datas inside them,without corruption,by the years
A good example is the ram or the ssd which ,with the time ,lost some areas,in this case its not grave, because its possible to whrite elsewhere
i n case of a dongle,if only one Bit is lost , nothing work anymore!
The technology and quality of the dongle is far better than usb keys but a day or another,it will fail,even if there are not lot read/write cycle.

M. Qualley

Site Admin

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 11:26 am

Also it is important to remember we will be giving FREE licensing migration to all instruments until October 1, 2020. So it would save this cost. It has not been determined the cost per license after Oct. 1, 2020. PACE charges us a fee so there is not a way around this.

Your best bet is to migrate before October 1, 2020 and MDA will cover your cost for instrument migration.

Hope this helps for those of you on the fence about upgrading.

Thanks,
Michelle
Michelle Qualley
Director of Marketing & Business Operations
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

patrice

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 12:14 pm

M. Qualley wrote:Also it is important to remember we will be giving FREE licensing migration to all instruments

Hello Madam,its a minimum! its you who changes the rules
Purator wrote:Now THAT is interesting... Michelle? Brett? Anything we miss here?

Purator wrote:
patrice wrote:False :The hasp keys are still in production and the company is GEMALTO/THales

Michelle stated that the HASP keys are discontinued:
M. Qualley wrote:Just so everyone knows the dongles were being discontinued by the manufacturer. That should tell use something about that technology.

So, who is wrong and who is right?

patrice

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 12:22 pm

M. Qualley wrote:Just so everyone knows the dongles were being discontinued by the manufacturer. That should tell use something about that technology.

It is time to move on. There is no choice.

Thanks!
Michelle

1st attempt
M. Qualley wrote:Your best bet is to migrate before October 1, 2020 and MDA will cover your cost for instrument migration.

Hope this helps for those of you on the fence about upgrading.

2nd attempt

Pete_K

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 1:20 pm

Michelle -

Is there a plan or mechanism in place for getting Hauptwerk systems back into operation if PACE/iLok goes out of business? Hopefully that will not happen, but I would like to understand the risks before giving up control over access to my Hauptwerk setup.

Also, can you provide a link to PACE/iLok's end user license agreement? I haven't been able to find it on the Internet and would like to read it before making any decisions.

I did find a link to the terms and conditions for use of iLok's website at the bottom of its home page, and they reference a possible end user license agreement included with the iLok software.

Thanks.

mwdiers

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Pete_K wrote:Is there a plan or mechanism in place for getting Hauptwerk systems back into operation if PACE/iLok goes out of business? Hopefully that will not happen, but I would like to understand the risks before giving up control over access to my Hauptwerk setup.

Just so you know, Pace iLok is an extremely common software protection system. It is vastly more common than Sentinel HL.

I would expect Gemalto to end the Sentinel line entirely before Pace would go out of business, given that every existing Sentinel dongle type has been completely cracked, and the only solution would be a completely new system with completely new drivers, software support, etc. In other words, even if Gemalto fixes their system, it would require replacing everything, and we'd be back in the same place.

No one in their right mind putting out new software uses Sentinel these days. They are going to be looking at CodeMeter, eLicenser, or iLok. Of those three, iLok is by far the most flexible.

Pace iLok is SO common in the music production world, that you are unlikely to find anyone in music production not using it. I have had my iLok a couple of years, and it currently licenses 109 separate software packages (various instrument and effect plugins - most of them purchased in bundles).

patrice

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 4:28 pm

mwdiers wrote:Just so you know, Pace iLok is an extremely common software protection system. It is vastly more common than Sentinel HL

.false :in the musical world perhaps but not in the sensitive software world

I would expect Gemalto to end the Sentinel line entirely before Pace would go out of business, given that every existing Sentinel dongle type has been completely cracked, and the only solution would be a completely new system with completely new drivers, software support, etc. In other words, even if Gemalto fixes their system, it would require replacing everything, and we'd be back in the same place.

Re false :Its not the dongle which has been cracked but the software ,hauptwerk, it would has been the same with ilok

No one in their right mind putting out new software uses Sentinel these days. They are going to be looking at CodeMeter, eLicenser, or iLok. Of those three, iLok is by far the most flexible.

I've never feel unflexibility with the hasp dongle nor with Brett milan ,its only takes a little time to have your toy working
and thats apply only for uncrypted sets

I have had my iLok a couple of years, and it currently licenses 109 separate software packages (various instrument and effect plugins - most of them purchased in bundles).

I have my dongle since hauptwerk uses it and no problem
I'm happy for you and your 109 packages,but believe in thousands of users who have only 2or3 organs and not obligatory uncrypted

If hw5 is a success,and i dont doubt in futur,the great winner is "PACE" imagine : 50€ (in FRANCE) x 1000 (around)

Voila thats all but i'm very angry about people ,since 15days,who speak without knowing,thinking and searching

patrice

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 4:45 pm

hello ,sorry for my previous message ,i dont mastery the "quote"
But i think everyone can find my phrases in the text

OrganoPleno

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 6:11 pm

patrice wrote:
mwdiers wrote:Re false :Its not the dongle which has been cracked but the software ,hauptwerk, it would has been the same with ilok

Actually, it's both. There are cracked versions of Hauptwerk available, and there are services available that will routinely crack any HASP dongle for you. The "secrets" are apparently "out of the dongle" by now, and cannot be made secret once again. However, the iLok has not yet successfully cracked.

mwdiers

PostSun Dec 15, 2019 9:22 pm

Patrice, as OrganoPleno has said, I am not wrong.

It is not just that Hauptwerk has been cracked. The entire Sentinel HASP HL and Sentinel HL system has been completely cracked so that it is not even necessary to crack Hauptwerk. The Sentinel dongles can be dumped easily, and the dongle emulated in software.

Furthermore, due to iLok's superior encryption and hardware DRM solution, cracking Hauptwerk will not help you decrypt iLok-encrypted components. Thus even if someone managed to crack Hauptwerk itself, there is no way to make Hauptwerk decrypt an encrypted organ without a valid iLok dongle.

This is why Sentinel is dead, and had to be abandoned.

I realize there is a language barrier issue at work, but please consider than everything I said is true. You might consider being cautious using the word "false" when you do not have all the facts. We can disagree, but let's be gracious to one another.
Last edited by mwdiers on Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrice

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 6:59 pm

ha ,ha, ha!

engrssc

Re: Login problem when trying to buy upgrade - HELP MICHELLE

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 6:16 pm

pwhodges wrote:
The fact that iLok can even go down might be a worry for those using authentication through the cloud..

That situation comes at a critical time for anyone who is skeptical about stuff like iLok. Most businesses use several servers for different purposes. While I don't know this for a fact, it could very well be that the server involved might just cover purchases, while different servers cover the cloud portion. Just a guess as that is generally done for 'mission critical' transactions. So can we even exist without servers anymore ?? That's a scary thought for me. :shock:

Another issue is some businesses upgrade you automatically (and of course bill you 'appropriately') unless you specifically tell not to. :mrgreen:

Rgds,
Ed

patrice

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 7:05 pm

mwdiers wrote:Patrice, as OrganoPleno has said, I am not wrong.

It is not just that Hauptwerk has been cracked. The entire Sentinel HASP HL and Sentinel HL system has been completely cracked so that it is not even necessary to crack Hauptwerk. The Sentinel dongles can be dumped easily, and the dongle emulated in software.

Furthermore, do to iLok's superior encryption and hardware DRM solution, cracking Hauptwerk will not help you decrypt iLok-encrypted components. Thus even if someone managed to crack Hauptwerk itself, there is no way to make Hauptwerk decrypt an encrypted organ without a valid iLok dongle.

This is why Sentinel is dead, and had to be abandoned.

I realize there is a language barrier issue at work, but [color=#00FFFF]please consider than everything I said is true[/color]. You might consider being cautious using the word "false" when you do not have all the facts. We can disagree, but let's be gracious to one another.
Previous

Return to General discussion