It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 9:31 am

Difference between upgrade and full v5 license

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

peterorg

Difference between upgrade and full v5 license

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 7:10 pm

If I buy the upgrade using my coupon (which I fully intend to do to continue to get the best from this great software), I understand that I then install v5 on the computer that I have v4 already installed on and working with the HASP dongle. I then insert the iLok dongle which holds my license and I activate v5. Carrying out this procedure will deactivate the v4 HASP dongle for use in the future.

However, if someone purchases a license for the Advanced version at the full price, they will need to install v5 , insert their iLok dongle with their license and activate v5 on a computer with no previous copy of Hauptwerk installed.

The question is, are the two license versions different and, if so, does mine somehow become the same as the person who purchased a new license?

I ask this as, if at some point in the future I want to carry out a clean installation of Windows and v5 say on a new computer,I will need a license that is not going to check to see if I have an old version of Hauptwerk on the computer.

Could someone clarify the situation, please, as I haven’t spotted this being mentioned before....or else I have missed it.

Many thanks.

Peter

mnailor

Re: Difference between upgrade and full v5 license

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 7:36 pm

The upgrade license is a new license, only the price is different. It has no effect on the installation process. The license could even be bought after you install/upgrade the software. I didn't put my ilok with the license in that machine until I used the installer.

The HW 5 installer doesn't check for a license. It does a full install if your machine has no HW installation. It works even for a trial install with no license. Reinstalling or installing on a clean machine would be the same -- no license checking during installer.

peterorg

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 7:43 pm

If there is no checking, what is to stop someone who has a v4 license and working setup from buying the upgrade license and simply installing v5 on a clean machine, keeping the old v4 setup with HASP dongle intact?
Something seems to be missing here...
Peter

blueband95

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 pm

My understanding is that buying a full copy of V gives you the right to run 4.2 and V simultaneously, while the upgrade will nuke your old dongle, rendering 4.2 unusable. But at the end of the day, the final product of an upgrade is a new copy of V.

The issue is that while buying a full license of V may allow you to run 4.2, if you migrate your sample sets to V using the menu command, it will still brick the dongle. Furthermore, you may have purchased the right to run V alongside 4.2, but not the right to run two versions of your sample sets. If you want to run 4.2 and V simultaneously with all of your sample sets, then in addition to a new full version of V, you will have to re-purchase new licenses for all of your sample sets and install them as new.

mnailor

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 8:56 pm

That's right. You can keep your V4 sampleset licenses on HASP and only run unprotected and newly purchased samplesets on your V5 computer, or you can migrate all the licenses from HASP to iLok. Protected samplesets are only going to run on one or the other version, never both, unless you pay for duplicate licenses.

I guess if you had no protected samplesets at all, you could keep running both V4 and V5 on different computers, but I'm sure that violates the V5 upgrade license agreement.

1961TC4ME

PostFri Dec 13, 2019 10:05 pm

I finally got a chance to do some reading today, and the way I understand it and I guess the easiest way I can describe the difference between the 2 is a purchase of a full v5 license and the upgrade to a v5 license is nothing, the end result is the same, other than the method of how you get there based on what you have now. If you have no license at all or do not own a v4 advanced license and you want a v5 advanced license, you pay $599. If you own a v4 basic license you pay $320 now or $370 as of February 1st. If you own a v4 advanced license and you want a v5 advanced license, you pay $199 by January 6, or more afterwards, I think $250 by end of January and $289 afterwards. The way I look at it is this is really no different than going from v3 to v4 except we pay this time, but get numerous new bells and whistles we never had before. I started with v3 advanced and upgraded to v4 when it came out knowing my v3 license would be wiped out, but all else would migrate and I would see an improvement which I did. Other than an early minor glitch that Martin had fixed within a week all was good. I guess I don't know why anyone would even worry about this as the only difference in upgrading other than an outlay of cash this time and a change to Ilok, the outcome is no different and all your organs will continue to work as before. So why even worry about hanging on to v4? I think what you're asking though is can you install the trial version on a new computer, pay $199 and get a full v5 advanced version. My answer would be yes only if you are a v4 advanced version owner who like me are being made this $199 offer, and if you notice, we are issued a code to make it work. In other words, if you do not own v4 advanced, then no you won't be able to just download and install v5 on a new or current HW computer and get a full version of v5 because you would not even be offered the $199 option in the first place.

Of course, if you were to do a new install on a new computer and you are a v4 owner and you apply the upgrade which activates the full licensed version of v5, then you'd have to install all your organs as well as they and any settings you had would not follow. It would be like starting with a totally new setup.

If I'm wrong on any of this, I'd appreciate some clarification as well as it does bring up a good question for those perhaps pondering if now might be a good time to upgrade to a new computer while they're at it.

Marc

Return to General discussion