It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am

HW5 - Mighty Confused

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Christoff

HW5 - Mighty Confused

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 3:57 pm

What a good summary Adam has provided summing up what I and I suspect many HW 4 customers must be feeling.

Many of us are not computer experts - we just do what we have to in order to get HW up and running.

I saw HW5 had been released and don’t feel the need or desire for any of the new facilities - but I did think I ought to consider the upgrade in order to keep up with current/supported software

HOWEVER - having read various worrying posts I simply don’t have the courage to embark on the upgrade. There seem to countless pitfalls and difficulties for the inexperienced or unwary, and no way back if it all goes wrong. I will leave it a while until others cleverer than me beat a usable path to V5 but it seems that if I do this I will be financially penalised !

Disappointed that MDA seem to have forsaken customer care. I certainly don’t feel like a valued customer and as things stand will stay just where I am, forsake my discount and wait as long as it takes for me feel confident to tackle the upgrade.

Saddened that things have changed so much

Chris Mower

tocata

Re: HW5 - Mighty Confused

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 6:30 pm

You could backup everything on your PC, install HW5 trial. Test it for 2 weeks, can roll back to HW4 using your backup. Not convenient but possible. Or uninstall HW5 and install HW4 from scratch if you still happen to have the HW4 installer.

CWEB

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 7:30 am

If you expect to upgrade in due course but don't know when..... you could get the free i-lock account, buy the HW5 licence while it's cheap, then just wait until the right moment to download the software.

einer_von_weitem

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 8:44 am

Christoff wrote:What a good summary Adam has provided summing up what I and I suspect many HW 4 customers must be feeling.

Many of us are not computer experts - we just do what we have to in order to get HW up and running.

I saw HW5 had been released and don’t feel the need or desire for any of the new facilities - but I did think I ought to consider the upgrade in order to keep up with current/supported software

HOWEVER - having read various worrying posts I simply don’t have the courage to embark on the upgrade. There seem to countless pitfalls and difficulties for the inexperienced or unwary, and no way back if it all goes wrong. I will leave it a while until others cleverer than me beat a usable path to V5 but it seems that if I do this I will be financially penalised !

Disappointed that MDA seem to have forsaken customer care. I certainly don’t feel like a valued customer and as things stand will stay just where I am, forsake my discount and wait as long as it takes for me feel confident to tackle the upgrade.

Saddened that things have changed so much

Chris Mower

That is exactly how I feel too.

And just trying out v.5 is so complicated in itself that it is not really an option.
My Hauptwerk recordings on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJu6YY ... XMA/videos

Grant_Youngman

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 10:00 am

If you were able to put up and configure HW4, HW5 isn't that much different if you have a relatively simple audio configuration. Your HW4 backup installed into HW5 will set the HW5 audio configuration for you. (Just make sure your left channel numbers in your audio device are lower than the right channel numbers, e.g., L-1/R-2 and not L-2/R-1, etc.).

iLok and migration might seem daunting, but it is straightforward and the process is described here in the forum. And yes, you have to reinstall sample sets.

But I agree with Tocata … buy it now. And just put the email you get back with your iLok activation key in a safe place.

Clone your boot drive. Install HW5. You can run iLok in the cloud temporarily … until you decide to purchase a dongle. If you are still bamboozled then ask for help on the forum, or just re-image your hard drive from the clone and you'll be back where you were until you decide later to bite the bullet. No fault, no foul.
Grant

Return to General discussion