It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:07 pm


Linux

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Connian

Member

  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:32 am
  • Location: Boston, England

Linux

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 10:55 am

Hi, can Hauptwerk 4.2 work with Linux on my computer that has Windows 7 on it as I’m thinking of changing to Linux as it works a lot faster?
Offline

mnailor

Member

  • Posts: 660
  • Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:57 pm
  • Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Linux

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 11:21 am

No, it runs on Windows or Mac.
Offline
User avatar

Purator

Member

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:52 pm
  • Location: Leipzig, Germany

Re: Linux

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 3:56 pm

Hi,

I was curious, so I had to try... I am fully aware that I went into the perilous lands of the unsupported systems. Nevertheless, my good old friend WINE would accompany me on my journey.

As I did not have the HW 4 installer within reach I tried the HW V installer and it crashed (as expected) when trying to install Java. My Linux machine is a Java-free zone, so I kinda expected that...

I then copied the HW 4 files from my tablet to my windows machine. After manually creating the necessary folders (HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles and such because I did not copy those - did not want to copy 200GB of data...) I was able to start HW with wine.

I did not plug my HASP key into the computer and also did not plug in the MIDIFACE because I did not want to make too much changes to my Linux system. However, I used the MIDIFACE on a Linux machine before successfully.

I successfully loaded St.Annes and the Ott-Organ and could play them with my mouse and it sounded like it should.

I did _not_ test it any further for several reasons and I can not test it with larger organs because I currently do not have enough disk space. (Which, quite frankly, is a shame because I used the exact machine to run HW 4 on Win 7 with the PAB and I really, really, really would like to know if the system would perform better or worse.)

My recommendation, if you are tec-savvy enough, would be to install Linux on a new partition (either by adding a SSD or reducing the size of your windows partition) and then just try it out. I cannot, however, guarantee for anything.

Kind Regards
Rico
Offline

SMann

Member

  • Posts: 270
  • Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:22 pm
  • Location: California

Re: Linux

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 7:30 pm

That sounds exhausting.
Offline
User avatar

giwro

Member

  • Posts: 651
  • Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:22 pm
  • Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota USA

Re: Linux

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 7:49 pm

I asked a gifted programmer about Linux....

His response was that yes, code written for Mac would be probably 90-95% compatible to Linux, due to a common Unix base. The issue with Linux is that there is no consistent OEM driver support, especially for Pro audio peripherals and touchscreens. So, while it might be possible to 'port to Linux relatively easily, it could very well be a support nightmare for MDA.... plus, then you are supporting 3 platforms (one of which, Linux, is notorious for being used by people who believe everything should be free, and has a much smaller user base)

I don't think it would be a wise business move, personally (as much as I'd love to not be beholden to Apple or Microsoft).
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
Offline
User avatar

mwdiers

Member

  • Posts: 74
  • Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:33 am

Re: Linux

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 4:59 pm

To add to this: Linux software is not intrinsically faster than Windows software. It just doesn't work that way.

That said, the OS *may* be faster in some circumstances.

The big advantage of Linux is that you can precisely control what the OS is doing. You can control the updates, which system services run, and even choose to use barebones desktop environments. You can trim down a Linux system to a far greater degree than Mac or Windows will ever allow.
Last edited by mwdiers on Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Offline
User avatar

Purator

Member

  • Posts: 123
  • Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:52 pm
  • Location: Leipzig, Germany

Re: Linux

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 5:09 pm

Another advantage of Linux is that you surely do not need an Antivirus (and other snake oil). If you strip Windows of all the bloatware it gets significantly faster but also - depending on the way you view this world - a lot more insecure.

However, as a dedicated HW system would not be connected to the internet one can deactivate Defender and other tools.
Offline

sonar11

Member

  • Posts: 730
  • Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Linux

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 7:34 pm

mwdiers wrote:To add to this: Linux software is not intrinsically faster than Windows software. It just doesn't work that way.


Yes it does, and yes it is faster than windows. Noticably so (ie, user's can "feel" the difference, you don't even need to run specific tests to count microseconds). A big difference is how windows kernel and userspace libraries have bloat beyond hope. It's a wretched OS.

You can run a modern (released 2019) XFCE (desktop environment) and then firefox/libreoffice on an old computer comfortably, whereas trying to run windows on same hardware will just choke.

And I disagree with the previous "expert" saying mac and linux are quite compatible. They're not, even though osx has used a unix kernel. How they handle audio, video etc, the userspace is completely different.
Offline
User avatar

mwdiers

Member

  • Posts: 74
  • Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:33 am

Re: Linux

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 8:20 pm

sonar11 wrote:
mwdiers wrote:To add to this: Linux software is not intrinsically faster than Windows software. It just doesn't work that way.


Yes it does, and yes it is faster than windows. Noticably so (ie, user's can "feel" the difference, you don't even need to run specific tests to count microseconds). A big difference is how windows kernel and userspace libraries have bloat beyond hope. It's a wretched OS.

You can run a modern (released 2019) XFCE (desktop environment) and then firefox/libreoffice on an old computer comfortably, whereas trying to run windows on same hardware will just choke.

And I disagree with the previous "expert" saying mac and linux are quite compatible. They're not, even though osx has used a unix kernel. How they handle audio, video etc, the userspace is completely different.


I am a linux systems admin, and ran linux on my main laptop for years before I switched to Mac. I manage dozens of linux serves, and have compiled my own kernels more times, than I can count. Please read what I wrote, rather than quoting only the first line of my message. You are just restating what I already said.

All else being equal, the same software does not magically run faster in linux. You can also have a bloated linux system. As I said, the advantage of linux is that you can slim it down substantially, such that the same software has access to more resources.
Offline

sonar11

Member

  • Posts: 730
  • Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Linux

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 10:47 am

mwdiers wrote:
sonar11 wrote:
mwdiers wrote:To add to this: Linux software is not intrinsically faster than Windows software. It just doesn't work that way.


Yes it does, and yes it is faster than windows. Noticably so (ie, user's can "feel" the difference, you don't even need to run specific tests to count microseconds). A big difference is how windows kernel and userspace libraries have bloat beyond hope. It's a wretched OS.

You can run a modern (released 2019) XFCE (desktop environment) and then firefox/libreoffice on an old computer comfortably, whereas trying to run windows on same hardware will just choke.

And I disagree with the previous "expert" saying mac and linux are quite compatible. They're not, even though osx has used a unix kernel. How they handle audio, video etc, the userspace is completely different.


I am a linux systems admin, and ran linux on my main laptop for years before I switched to Mac. I manage dozens of linux serves, and have compiled my own kernels more times, than I can count. Please read what I wrote, rather than quoting only the first line of my message. You are just restating what I already said.

All else being equal, the same software does not magically run faster in linux. You can also have a bloated linux system. As I said, the advantage of linux is that you can slim it down substantially, such that the same software has access to more resources.


I've run and admined linux systems exclusively since 2002. Done the whole gentoo "compile your way through life". I'm a software dev with 20+ years experience, I know what I'm talking about. Do you want the rest of my credentials? Linux software DOES run intrinsically faster. I don't disagree with the rest of your post. I quoted your first statement because that's what I disagree with.

The simple fact is; put a user in front of a windows 10 system on a 5+ year old computer, and then a modern xfce release on the same computer, then ask the user to perform simple desktop tasks; move files around from computer to usb stick, start a browser, check your email, view pictures etc. All those tasks are so noticeably faster on xfce it's not even a comparison.

(I picked an old-ish computer because the slower the hardware, the more noticeable the difference is.) It's certainly possible to run windows fast enough if you buy powerful enough hardware)

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests