It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:41 am

Wait for bug fixes first, then upgrade to v5?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

1961TC4ME

Wait for bug fixes first, then upgrade to v5?

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 2:01 pm

Hello all,

I have made my perpetual license upgrade purchase from Advanced v4 to v5, have received confirmation of my order via email with activation code, purchased and set up an ilok account, downloaded v5, downloaded the v5 version of Armley Shulze (18 files!) so far, etc., etc. I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger and do the upgrade, but I'm also still in the info gathering stage, and before I go to install v5 I'd just like to make sure I do everything correctly and not end up with problems.

I'm seeing reports here that like the first release of v4, there are a few bugs in v5 causing issues and these are being addressed as we speak. I experienced the bugs with the first release of v4 and in fact was one of the first here to report it to Martin. The problem was somewhat annoying and would at times without notice cause my computer to completely freeze and render it unresponsive, forcing me to do hard shutdowns as the only remedy. My computer wasn't too hip to that kind of treatment and I'd rather not do that in the first place. So, I'd like to avoid that kind of issue again and am opting for now even though I'm ready, to not to jump to v5 until this is fixed as I have (and have had for a long time) a perfectly running v4 version and computer system as is, and would instead prefer to continue enjoying it that way until the v5 fix is in place, then do the upgrade. I'm in no hurry.

A few questions hopefully someone can answer:

Since I have all the parts and pieces in place to upgrade, have already purchased the upgrade and so on, I'd assume I could wait until June to actually apply the upgrade if I wanted, and at that time all would work, install and upgrade, etc., etc., as if I were to do it now? So, no problems with doing that, right? Nothing is going to expire requiring me to do anything over again later if I wait, right?

The only other question then is: Do we have a time frame for when the bug fixes will be completed and what's the ETA for the fixed version of v5? And, at that time will it require a complete re-install of v5 or will it simply be a patch?

One of the reasons I ask this now is, far as I know, since I downloaded v5 a few weeks ago I'm assuming I currently hold a v5 with bugs, so it may be useless to even have it sitting on my thumb drive if I were to wait until June to apply the upgrade and would need to download the fixed release of v5 again anyways. Or would this even be the case?

Anyone that can advise here, it would be greatly appreciated.

Marc

mdyde

Re: Wait for bug fixes first, then upgrade to v5?

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 2:21 pm

Hello Marc,

1961TC4ME wrote:Since I have all the parts and pieces in place to upgrade, have already purchased the upgrade and so on, I'd assume I could wait until June to actually apply the upgrade if I wanted, and at that time all would work, install and upgrade, etc., etc., as if I were to do it now? So, no problems with doing that, right? Nothing is going to expire requiring me to do anything over again later if I wait, right?

Correct -- you could certainly wait until June if you preferred, or until v5.0.1 is released (which should fix all known bugs found so far).

1961TC4ME wrote:The only other question then is: Do we have a time frame for when the bug fixes will be completed and what's the ETA for the fixed version of v5? And, at that time will it require a complete re-install of v5 or will it simply be a patch?

I can't promise exactly when v5.0.1 will be released (since it depends on whether anything else is found, and on the amount of support, etc.). However, I would fully expect it to be long time before June (hopefully within the next month or two). If in doubt, I'd recommend just waiting for v5.0.1, rather than upgrading to v5.0.0 now, and then installing v5.0.1 directly.

v5.0.1 will upgrade an existing Hauptwerk (v5.0.0 or v4) installation if present, or install a completely new installation if Hauptwerk isn't already installed. [The exception on the Mac platform is that Hauptwerk v4 needs to be completely removed before installing any v5 version: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17850 .]

1961TC4ME wrote:One of the reasons I ask this now is, far as I know, since I downloaded v5 a few weeks ago I'm assuming I currently hold a v5 with bugs, so it may be useless to even have it sitting on my thumb drive if I were to wait until June to apply the upgrade and would need to download the fixed release of v5 again anyways. Or would this even be the case?

If you're planning to wait for v5.0.1 (and/or June) then there's no real point in keeping your downloaded version of the v5.0.0 installer -- just download v5.0.1 instead when it's available, and install that directly instead.

Hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 2:50 pm

Thank you, Martin. That answers my questions perfectly. I just threw out June as an arbitrary date in case I stalled that long :lol: for some unknown reason. I can't see it taking that long for me to make the move, but it's good to know I can wait, do it when I'm good and ready, and meanwhile continue to enjoy v4.

Marc

bourdon

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 3:08 pm

Bugs ?? What bugs ?? Is there a place where they are reported ?

-In any case, personally, everything was quick, easy and smooth and V5 is running without a problem. ( Apart from the fact that it won't shut down with the HW "exit" menu : I have to click twice in a Windows box telling that the program couldn't be stopped.)

- As for the different question of enhancements: will there be a thread dedicated to observations and suggestions ?

1961TC4ME

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 3:39 pm

bourdon wrote:Bugs ?? What bugs ?? Is there a place where they are reported ?

This was one example I found.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17970#p135162

Marc

mnailor

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 3:58 pm

Just a suggestion: I would go ahead and download the HW 5 versions of samplesets you own that were encrypted and/or licensed on the HW 4 dongle. Save them to install when you're ready.

If you wait for more than a few months, some sampleset producers might start charging a fee for the updates. I haven't seen announcements of any, but there's some work involved that they might not want to do forever.

1961TC4ME

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 4:57 pm

mnailor wrote:Just a suggestion: I would go ahead and download the HW 5 versions of samplesets you own that were encrypted and/or licensed on the HW 4 dongle. Save them to install when you're ready.

If you wait for more than a few months, some sampleset producers might start charging a fee for the updates. I haven't seen announcements of any, but there's some work involved that they might not want to do forever.

Yes, good idea and have started. I don't have a lot of sets, a number of them non encrypted. So far of the ones that are, I've got the Armley Schulze v5 files downloaded and they're ready and waiting, I need to do St. Eucaire yet and also have Dingelstaedt to go. Now to see who comes out with what, but was thinking my next purchase might be something from Paramount. :D

Marc

mdyde

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 4:18 am

bourdon wrote:Bugs ?? What bugs ?? Is there a place where they are reported ?

-In any case, personally, everything was quick, easy and smooth and V5 is running without a problem. ( Apart from the fact that it won't shut down with the HW "exit" menu : I have to click twice in a Windows box telling that the program couldn't be stopped.)

- As for the different question of enhancements: will there be a thread dedicated to observations and suggestions ?

Hello bourdon,

To confirm Marc's reply, my announcement thread here lists v5.0.0 bugs and other key issues to be aware of: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17970

(I'm not sure what the arrangements are since the move to the new website for making suggestions/enhancement requests.)
Best regards, Martin.

1961TC4ME

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 1:37 pm

Just as an add on here, I certainly don't want my post or the heading of the topic here to discourage anyone from going ahead and upgrading to v5 now. My main concerns more than anything where to get in on the $199 upgrade deal, which I did, then take my time to read up and collect all the other parts and pieces first. That way when I'm ready I can go ahead and do it knowing there aren't any time restrictions or requirements (within a reasonable time frame of course, I'm not going to wait until 2025 :lol: ) to do it by a certain time which I figured was the case, but just wanted to be sure. I read about the bugs, no big deal, but since I have a perfectly running v4 system now that I can enjoy any time I want, I figure I'll give Martin and the other users here time to find and sort through what looks to be a few very minor things which last go around with the first release of v4 and a few bugs didn't take long to fix.

Marc

mdyde

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 1:46 pm

Thanks very much, Marc.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to General discussion