It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:39 pm

I am confused - clarification needed

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Purator

I am confused - clarification needed

PostThu Jan 09, 2020 3:21 pm

Hallo,

regarding updating, buying the update, and so on I am a bit confused.

Between all the limited offers after Black Friday, then 12/16/19, the shop now says "Special Through January 31, 2020".

Question 1a: So I have time until the end of January to purchase the Upgrade for the reduced price of $225?
Question 1b: Is there some hidden tax if I am a EU customer?

However, I do need a working Setup in April, which means that I will not be able to transfer my HW4 licence to HWV before the end of April. (Never change a running system)

Question 2: Is there some sort of deadline after which I cannot transfer a HW4 licence from my HASP-dongle to iLOK?

One of my most used sets is the PAB. I have yet to upgrade to the PAB 3 (and want to take the chance to upgrade to the Gravissimo). But as the PAB 3 (both Professional and Gravissimo) needs significantly more RAM I am unsure whether I can fit it into my current system. Truncating the Releases and then using IR has been suggested to me, but I do need to try it out to find out if I am happy with it or not.

Question 3: If I transfer my PAB V2 (Professional) licence to HW V and purchase an Upgrade to the PAB 3, will I still be able to use the PAB 2 (Professional) in HW V?

Kind Regards,
Rico

mdyde

Re: I am confused - clarification needed

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 5:42 am

Hello Purator,

Thanks for the interest in upgrading.

(I'll leave others to get back to you about pricing.)

Purator wrote:However, I do need a working Setup in April, which means that I will not be able to transfer my HW4 licence to HWV before the end of April. (Never change a running system)

Question 2: Is there some sort of deadline after which I cannot transfer a HW4 licence from my HASP-dongle to iLOK?

Once you've purchased the v5 upgrade from the shop, the only deadline for actually using it is that you might want to have installed it and used its 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version ...' menu function to migrate your v4 licences to v5 by the 1st October 2020, in order to be certain that there won't be any additional charge for migrating the sample set licences: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133611

Purator wrote:One of my most used sets is the PAB. I have yet to upgrade to the PAB 3 (and want to take the chance to upgrade to the Gravissimo). But as the PAB 3 (both Professional and Gravissimo) needs significantly more RAM I am unsure whether I can fit it into my current system. Truncating the Releases and then using IR has been suggested to me, but I do need to try it out to find out if I am happy with it or not.

Question 3: If I transfer my PAB V2 (Professional) licence to HW V and purchase an Upgrade to the PAB 3, will I still be able to use the PAB 2 (Professional) in HW V?

You can transfer *all* of your sample set licences from v4 to v5 (via the 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version ...' menu function), or none -- you can't transfer them individually. Once you've transferred them, they can no longer be used in v4, and you would no longer be able to launch v4 itself in licensed mode. I.e. transferring them is a one-way process (as covered in that FAQ post: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133611 ).

Hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Purator

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 5:50 am

Hello Martin,

thanks for your answers.

mdyde wrote:Hello Purator,

Once you've purchased the v5 upgrade from the shop, the only deadline for actually using it is that you might want to have installed it and used its 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version ...' menu function to migrate your v4 licences to v5 by the 1st October 2020, in order to be certain that there won't be any additional charge for migrating the sample set licences: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133611

That sounds good for me.

mdyde wrote:
You can transfer *all* of your sample set licences from v4 to v5 (via the 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version ...' menu function), or none -- you can't transfer them individually. Once you've transferred them, they can no longer be used in v4, and you would no longer be able to launch v4 itself in licensed mode. I.e. transferring them is a one-way process (as covered in that FAQ post: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133611 ).

I understand that. However, it was not so much about using 4/V, but more like this:
Step 1: I upgrade to V, the software works as intended.
Step 2: I move my organ licences to iLok, all of them. I now have a V-Version of the PAB 2 and it works as intended.
Step 3: I upgrade to the PAB3. For some reason (probably not enough RAM) it does not work as intended.

Question: In this case, can I still use the PAB 2?
I probably should ask this in a separate thread in the instruments section...

Kind regards,
Rico

mdyde

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 7:00 am

Thanks, Rico.

Purator wrote:
mdyde wrote:You can transfer *all* of your sample set licences from v4 to v5 (via the 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version ...' menu function), or none -- you can't transfer them individually. Once you've transferred them, they can no longer be used in v4, and you would no longer be able to launch v4 itself in licensed mode. I.e. transferring them is a one-way process (as covered in that FAQ post: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133611 ).

I understand that. However, it was not so much about using 4/V, but more like this:
Step 1: I upgrade to V, the software works as intended.
Step 2: I move my organ licences to iLok, all of them. I now have a V-Version of the PAB 2 and it works as intended.
Step 3: I upgrade to the PAB3. For some reason (probably not enough RAM) it does not work as intended.

Question: In this case, can I still use the PAB 2?

That's really a licensing question that you'd need to ask of Inspired Acoustics, i.e. whether if you buy an upgrade from PAB2 to PAB3 you'd still be allowed to keep use PAB2.
Best regards, Martin.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 9:28 am

Rico,

I just emailed you an upgrade coupon!

Let me know if you need anything further.
Thanks!
Brett
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

orgnyst6226

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 3:06 pm

Hello,
saw this post and wanted to add my PAB experience to this. I too, have both PAB 2 and 3 and I stuck with version 2 as it takes less ram and loads much quicker. Upon upgrading to version V is Hauptwerk I have not been able to load PAB 2 as it throws an error message advising that one of the packages needs an updated version. So, reluctantly, I loaded PAB 3 which does work, however, I've run into two issues. First, I used to be able to set the WALZE stop on an "ON" state at all times which no longer works in PAB 3. Second, when I open the Crescendo tab all of the settings are blank - I actually need to press the Prog 1 or 2 virtual button to populate the settings in order for the crescendo to work at all. I advised Inspired Acoustics of this problem (working with Csaba directly) and he is looking into the issues. My personal preference is to keep PAB 2 and Csaba did say it would work in HW V of which I have licensing for both PAB 2 and PAB 3. I've provided Csaba with detailed information and screen shots of the issues surrounding both versions and waiting on his reply.
Would love to know any other experiences out there with PAB 3??
Thanks
Steve

Update... Csaba just sent me notification that PAB 2 has been updated to correct the version number so I'm downloading now to test. I would also like to say how much of a pleasure it is working with Csaba, he takes pride in his product and is very responsive - Thank you Csaba.
Thanks
Steve Eppley

Purator

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 5:23 am

Hello,

@Brett: Thank you!

@Steve: If it is not too much of a hassle for you, I would like to know how much RAM HW V and the PAB 3 need if the PAB 3 (Professional) is loaded
- Full organ, 92 stops
- 16 bit
- only first loop
- concert hall acoustics
- one release layer
- Samples truncated to 120 ms

I know that this probably means completely screwing your settings so I am totally fine if you do not want to do that.

Kind Regards,
Rico

orgnyst6226

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 7:35 am

No problem Rico... I'll load it and let you know the results
Steve
Thanks
Steve Eppley

orgnyst6226

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 8:35 am

Hi Rico,

Here are your specs
Total system RAM 64 GB
Total available with no organ loaded 60.8
Total used with PAB 3 per your specifications: 36.8 GB used
Hope this helps
Steve
Thanks
Steve Eppley

Purator

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 8:36 am

Hi Steve,

thank you very much!

Kind Regards,
Rico

joeroberts

Ah....the Good ol' days of Hauptwerk...

PostWed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 pm

Ah...the good ol' days.....when things were simple.....!

Purator

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 12:45 pm

Hello,

so I did what I mentioned here. This week I upgraded to HW V (having bought it back then with the coupon) and also bought an upgrade to the PAB3. I activated both the HW V and the PAB3 licence.

The upgrade went very smothly and I only had to setup the PAB3 (again) because I bought the Gravissimo, so it is a new organ. No problem, was done in 20 minutes.

So now I still have the blue HW4 dongle with a valid HW license and the PAB2. I do not have the need to move the licence of the PAB2 because I have the PAB3 for HW V. I would rather keep that old dongle as a backup in case anything happens and I have to restore the backup I have of my HW 4 setup.

My question here, just to be sure: Is there anything that would keep me from not upgrading my licence? I know about the downsides (no support, dongle could break, etc.), but I just want to keep it as a backup, the dongle stored securely in a drawer next to the PC.

Kind Regards,
Rico

mdyde

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 3:32 am

Hello Rico,

Glad to hear you have v5 up and running. Thanks again for buying that upgrade.

Purator wrote:So now I still have the blue HW4 dongle with a valid HW license and the PAB2. I do not have the need to move the licence of the PAB2 because I have the PAB3 for HW V. I would rather keep that old dongle as a backup in case anything happens and I have to restore the backup I have of my HW 4 setup.

My question here, just to be sure: Is there anything that would keep me from not upgrading my licence? I know about the downsides (no support, dongle could break, etc.), but I just want to keep it as a backup, the dongle stored securely in a drawer next to the PC.

I think strictly speaking that you're supposed to use the v4->v5 licence migration function (which wipes the v4 dongle) sooner or later (otherwise you would effectively end up with two full independent Hauptwerk licences -- one for v4 and one for v5). However, there's no official deadline for that.

Selling the v4 dongle, or giving it to anyone else, or using it on a computer whilst running v4 simultaneously on another computer, or selling/transferring v5 without destroying the v4 dongle, would definitely be in breach of the licence agreement, so the main thing is that you mustn't do any of those if you do want to hang on to the v4 dongle for a while.

Hope that helps.
Best regards, Martin.

Purator

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 3:52 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Rico,

Glad to hear you have v5 up and running. Thanks again for buying that upgrade.

Right now I am very happy with v5, the reverb is a wonderful feature and the major rewrite of the whole sound system allowed me to lower the latency a lot.

mdyde wrote:
Selling the v4 dongle, or giving it to anyone else, or using it on a computer whilst running v4 simultaneously on another computer, or selling/transferring v5 without destroying the v4 dongle, would definitely be in breach of the licence agreement, so the main thing is that you mustn't do any of those if you do want to hang on to the v4 dongle for a while.

I have no intention to do any of the mentioned things - as I said, I want to keep it as a backup.

mdyde wrote:Hope that helps.

Yes it did, thank you!

Kind Regards,
Rico

mdyde

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 4:11 am

Thanks very much, Rico.

You're very welcome. Glad you're enjoying it.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to General discussion