It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:46 pm

Public combinations repository

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

TomBentley

Re: Public combinations repository

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 9:45 am

How do you get a combination set out of a midi file? Just curious. I know you could play the file an grab screen shots, but is there a way to actually export the combination set?

Tom

fchazz

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 10:11 am

I play the midi file and as it plays everytime there is a combination change I hit pause and save the combination to a piston.

IainStinson

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 10:20 am

The midi file contains the stop changes, as a part of the midi stream. If you replay the file on the same virtual organ as it was recorded on, then you can see the registration changes when the item is played. Some organists may not want to let others replay their midi file on other instruments or even playing systems other than Hauptwerk as they understandably don’t want their performance compromised or abused; this why I suspect there is a reluctance to post midi files on the concert hall website.

Hauptwerk has facilities to export combination files, which include all pistons and all steps if the sequencer has been used, as readable files, Registration | Export/view current combinations as text listing. Combination files files may also be copied and given to others or otherwise shared.

Iain

TomBentley

PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:54 pm

Thanks I was just wondering how that export worked. I've tried it to make a text list of one of my own combination sets that I liked just because I have trouble remembering when I am working on a new piece exactly which step it was I liked, etc. but it seemed when I tried to use the export feature in HW I get a listing of the entire sample set registrations not just the current combination I have active -- i'll look further into it -- i am probably missing a check box or something but that gives me an idea of how I might use it to simply build a little personal library of registrations that I thru trial and error end up liking and wishing to use again and print it out.

Tom

fchazz

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 2:23 pm

I would like to see a lot more people share their midi files on the concert hall website.

Purator

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Hello,

I would like to go a bit into my process of registering a piece. Let's take, as an example, "Biscaya", as recorded there: http://www.contrebombarde.com/concerthall/music/35892

So... I need the PAB to produce an Akkordeon sound. So, that means I need an undulating sound, so I need the Unda Maris or the Voix Celeste. I also need this sound in the accompaniment. But I could also use the Tremulants to create this effect. And maybe two competing detuned stops sound awful. So, the Unda Maris sounds a bit nicer for that, but it needs another stop. Principal? Cor de Nuit, Should not be too dominant. Let's try it out, Unda Maris + the other 8' on the Positiv. What about the base? 32'? And a very soft 16', so let's couple the 16' from the Recit to the Pedal. Mmh, sounds good, maybe a bit too low, but let's see. Mmh, I also need a good sound for that "single reed" Akkordeon. The Solo does not have good stops for that, the Principal from the Great works better for that. But where to put the accompaniment? Solo has only the 8' Konzertflute, that is already too dominant, and no soft 4', so the accompaniment on the Recit. Now I can't use the 16' from the Recit with the Pedal, so no 32' in the Pedal but the full 16', I need a good foghorn sound there. So for the Great, I only need the Solo stop later, but I could also get that sound from the Recit. So, definitely switching registration in between. Great will be the Solo sound with the Bourdon and Gamba (can't use the solo for that, Principal is too dominant, Konzertflute is too weak) and afterwards get a strong Principal registration coupled with the Recit for the "Tutti" parts. And so on...

This is just a recollection, I might have thought a bit different back then, but I still have the recording of this, so if anybody is interested I can upload it somewhere. It is 13 Minutes of me thinking and registering...

For anybody interested in, here is the basic registration:
PEDAL
Prinzipalbass 16'
Contrebasse 16'
Violon 16'
Soubbasse 16'
Octavbass 8'

GREAT
Gamba 8'
Bourdon 8'

POSITIV
Principal 8'
Cor de nuit 8'
Unda maris 8'
Praestant 4'

RECIT
Geigenprinc 8'
Flute harm. 8'
Gamba 8'
Aeoline 8'
Bourdon 8'

- Add III/I
- Add Principal 8' (Great)
- Add Principal 4', Rohrflöte 4' (GREAT)

This is basically how I work when registering pieces. I have a specific sound in mind and most of the time only need one or two tries to create that sound. Problems usually arise because the organs are not as flexible as needed, but that is a different story. I should, however, add that starting in school and finishing with my Master Thesis I dug rather deep into the theory of sound and sound creation. Knowing how different stops look like in a sound spectrum is something that in my opinion every organist should have seen at least once. And with unencrypted sets and free software like audacity it is not rocket science to create some spectrums, just have a look at them and see for yourself how the different sounds manifest in the spectrum - and how 4', 2 2/3', and so on amplify the overtones...

But this gets wildly off topic and I want to apologise for doing it, but I just want people to understand why I gave this specific recommendation at the beginning.

Regarding MIDI files - I do not want to do this. Not because I have something to hide, but I do not want to do the extra work. When I do recordings, I start the recording when I start playing, and I stop, when I am done. So a recording might be 2 hours long. I neither have the software at hand to cut such a midi file, nor do I want to go through the file to make sure the registration is correct. It would cost me quite some time to attach a midi file, so therefore - sorry, this is not for me.

Kind Regards,
Rico

JulianMoney-Kyrle

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:37 pm

Rico,

That is an interesting account and I don't regard it as off-topic at all (not as off-topic as my post, anyway). Thank-you.

As far as generating a MIDI file goes, Hauptwerk will record it at the same time as the sound recording, and all the stop changes are there, so it can be played back on another Hauptwerk set-up wit the same organ loaded (at least that is my understanding). Though I must confess I haven't explored Contrabombarde very much to see what formats the music is in.
Previous

Return to General discussion