It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

Suggestions and enhancements

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

pat17

Suggestions and enhancements

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:43 am

Hi Martin / Brett / Michelle

It was mentioned few years back by Brett any suggestion or enhancement request should be done through a web link -

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12099

I have been trying to clik the link but the page does appear not to exist any longer. Is there an updated way to suggest any improvement? I'm referring here about a new feature indeed, not about an issue with the existing ones.

Thanks in advance!

Erzahler

Re: Suggestions and enhancements

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 7:51 pm

The link opened for me and it contains this;
We would love to hear your feedback for any suggestions you may have for improving Hauptwerk. To send your suggestions please visit http://www.hauptwerk.com/suggestions and fill out the form to submit them to us.

Grant_Youngman

PostMon Jan 20, 2020 7:59 pm

Well, the "suggestions" link on the Hauptwerk website (which I think was the actual question) does not open. Goes to Page Not Found …
Grant

pat17

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 2:46 am

Grant_Youngman wrote:Well, the "suggestions" link on the Hauptwerk website (which I think was the actual question) does not open. Goes to Page Not Found …

Absolutely, this is what I meant... sorry for my bad English.

mdyde

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 4:32 am

Hello Pat,

I'm not actually sure what the intended larrangement is currently for requesting enhancements since the new website move, but I'll check.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 5:41 am

A long time ago this forum included an active section for customers (and other forum users) to make and discuss suggestions for enhancements and improvements to Hauptwerk. This still remains in the structure at http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewforum.php?f=23 but now this section only contains an invitation to send such suggestions to MDA via a link which is presently broken (so you can’t use this route).

It was I think helpful to customers to see what ideas others had and indeed to find that sometimes their “new request/idea” as actually already included in the product. In the discussion customers’ requirements could be clarified and better defined.

I can understand from MDA’s position this part of the forum might be a little “dangerous”. If MDA commented on the ideas, some customers, albeit mistakenly, might believe that this was a commitment that their requirement would be met in a future release of Hauptwerk. MDA may also have had some concerns that competitors might look this part of the forum to spot what opportunities they could have for developing their product.

Having worked with software “manufacturers”, both very large and small for many years, and indeed been a part of a large software development organisation for a time, they have generally all benefited from customer input and suggestions on how the customers think the product might be better developed. Generally these customer discussions have been open within the customer community and participation from the software company rather limited (focusing on the existing announced features of the product). With some “user groups” (for example IBM and Digital/DEC) we had elaborate voting mechanisms to give the software manufacturers so idea of (voting) customer preferences: sometimes this input was acknowledged by the software company and sometimes not.

I think there might be some benefit to customers and MDA, our software supplier, if this forum once again had an area where customers could make and discuss the enhancements they would like to see (and presumably buy) for Hauptwerk (and sample sets?). I think it would be sensible for MDA and perhaps sample set suppliers not to comment on the suggestions made other than to limit any input to “feature already available” type of comments. It would need to be crystal clear that this part of the forum was only a discussion area for the customer ideas, not a place where any commitment about the inclusion of such features would be made.

Would other find this of interest/value even with the sort of restrictions and understanding set out above?

Iain

pat17

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 11:38 am

mdyde wrote:Hello Pat,

I'm not actually sure what the intended larrangement is currently for requesting enhancements since the new website move, but I'll check.

Thanks Martin, much appreciated! 8)

mnailor

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 11:46 am

Iain, I strongly second that. Dropping suggestions into a hidden box instead of discussing them openly has been a deterrent to offering suggestions.

pat17

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 12:09 pm

Iain, mnailor, I think I remember this change of making all requests ‘discreet’ was explained by Brett as some kind of protection against competition - not to reveal the future developments of Hauptwerk to keep the lead. If I am not mistaken, this is in my humble opinion perfectly understandable. If not the case, an émulation among users might indeed help to identify the areas of improvement.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:58 pm

Hello all,

There is now a new suggestions form with the same URL as the old site here:

https://www.hauptwerk.com/suggestions/

We prefer this method is so we can keep track of various suggestions in our own tracking database (which we have many many thousands of suggestions from over the years). It would be too difficult for us to have to try and track these down here on the forum and put them into any sort of priority or group by similarity of topic etc.

You are of course free to discuss potential new enhancements you'd like to see here so others can chime in, should you find that you have a suggestion you would like for us to know about then please just send it over via the web form so we can have an official log of it into our tracking database.

Thanks!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

pat17

PostFri Jan 24, 2020 4:46 am

Thanks Brett!

Done successfully. 8)

smfrank

PostMon May 25, 2020 11:00 am

I just submitted a suggestion through that link.
Felt like it just dropped into the bit bucket.
An automated email acknowledgment might have been nice.
Somehow I envision the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Steve
Steven Frank

mdyde

PostMon May 25, 2020 12:40 pm

Hello Steve,

We did receive your suggestion -- thanks. We don't normally reply individually to them (unless the suggestion isn't clear and more details are needed), but they do all get considered for the future, and are appreciated.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to General discussion