It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:03 am

Seeing Hauptwerk in action

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

chibiruso

Seeing Hauptwerk in action

PostSat May 29, 2004 3:43 pm

Greetings!

One of the churches for which I play has recently decided to dump their old organ ("organ" used very loosely in this context) into the nearest body of water and are looking to purchase a new instrument. I seriously want to believe Hauptwerk has the potential to be the perfect solution for this particular congregation. Before I recommend it as a possibility, though, I would like to see Hauptwerk in action, in a home, studio, whatever. I don't use Windows computers, and I don't personally have access to all the gear needed to see this program shine, so I cannot enjoy the demo version of the software. Thus, I would like to know if any of you most enlightened musicians know of an installation near where I live - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.

Thanks.

Jim Reid

PostSat May 29, 2004 11:57 pm

Oh my, in my opinion, it would NOT be a good idea to get
your church into such a near "state of the art" building project
for a new organ! UNLESS, you have some very capable
computer savy members as well as those who might enjoy
assembling the "furniture" required to house the electronics--
midi keyboards, the needed computer and the interconnect
between the computer and the new, now non-existent organ
console.

Do you have such talent in your congregation?? That is the real
first question; if so, then have them come to this Hauptwerk
web site and become informed about this situation.

Just my opinions; others may vary!

Best,
Jim Reid

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSun May 30, 2004 12:14 am

Chibiruso,

You must also take into consideration the samples which would be used in a church setting. Many of the samples currently available in Hauptwerk format already contain natural church acoustics "built in" to the samples themselves. This would not sound pleasing or even acceptable in a church acoustical setting. You would need to have dry and close miked samples for playback through Hauptwerk in order for any sort of realism to take place.

Our Casavant and Buzard organ samples may do the trick for you if you decide to go ahead and install a Hauptwerk organ at your church. I have tested the Buzard in a church setting with good results.

Fairly soon we'll have a compilation organ available consisting of stops from various organs which were recorded dry and they will have the purpose to be used in an acoustical environment. Yves Petit-Clerc has done extensive work on samples from our Casavant and Buzard organs and also many of his own (many hand built by Yves himself!) I hope to have some demos available shortly and also to have the organ samples ready as well. I'll make a new post when they are ready.

Good luck in your search for a new instrument!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

stenberg

PostSun May 30, 2004 3:59 am

Brett,

The compilation organ is a great idea. I hope that your dry sample collection will grow so that some day you will be able to supply "custom built" Hauptwerk organs to order.

Gunnar

chibiruso

PostSun May 30, 2004 8:37 am

Jim Reid wrote:Oh my, in my opinion, it would NOT be a good idea to get your church into such a near "state of the art" building project for a new organ! UNLESS, you have some very capable computer savy members as well as those who might enjoy assembling the "furniture" required to house the electronics--midi keyboards, the needed computer and the interconnect between the computer and the new, now non-existent organ console.

Thank you for this consoling, down to earth advice. However, I myself am well suited to the problems at hand and I would like nothing better at this moment than a chance to really get my hands dirty in a project like this, a project which would have as its goal not just a good organ, but a cheap organ which can be made reliable through its componentry and overall design. I want to produce a quality instrument, an instrument that is both suited to the space (which is more like a living-room than a stereotypical church – ah, the sweet joy of having a nave, if only we could afford one...) and which can someday become more than it is, something closer to the original, a platform upon which, over time, an instrument can be built, revised, and honed. I know I am not alone in thinking this.

Just as the computer I use now functions better than it did one year ago when I bought it, as upgrades to the system software and other program packages have made it a better system, I firmly believe this can be made into a good philosophy for an instrument such as an organ, an instrument which has throughout its history been a complex feet of manufacture, improved upon by many artists and engineers.

I still want to see a whole get-up of Hauptwerk running somewhere in my area. I'm nearly tempted to go out and make a simple model from junk I can pick up around my town. But I made an oath years ago never to build a solution from a Windows machine again, and I would much rather find someone willing to show off their own instrument. So if you're out there, I'm still listening.

chibiruso

Scrounging, anything can be done

PostWed Jun 02, 2004 12:36 pm

Greetings!

Through the help of a few friends I assembled all the necessary components to hear Hauptwerk in action.

I'm a believer.

Return to General discussion