It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:17 pm

Saving the Ally Pally Organ with Hauptwerk

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Mick Berg

Saving the Ally Pally Organ with Hauptwerk

PostWed Jan 03, 2007 1:59 pm

I'd like to know what people think about this idea. I posted in the "Dream Organ" thread "Not so much a "dream" organ, but out of necessity, I would suggest the Willis (or whats left of it) in the Alexandra Palace, London, because I have a nasty feeling that it won't be around much longer......."
The missing stops from the organ could be sampled as accurately as possible from similar organs, such as Albert Hall or St. Georges Hall, Liverpool. They could be played by Hauptwerk through an adequate sound system (much more financially feasible than making all those 32ft and 16ft ranks in actual pipes), and the organ could exist in its complete state, musically at least. Maybe this would save it.
Any thoughts?
Mick Berg.

Jonathan Taylor

Ally Pally

PostWed Jan 03, 2007 8:59 pm

This is a nice thought however for proper historic preservation only real pipework, found to match in every way is the only acceptable method in the restoration of this great Willis organ. Adding sounds from other organs can get rather confusing, and adding all the wiring n such might not be the best way to go.
"The organ is in my eyes and ears the king of all instruments," Mozart in 1777

Mick Berg

PostThu Jan 04, 2007 1:57 am

I think you're missing the point here. The Willis Organ in the Alexandra Palace is in imminent danger of disappearing. This great, historic organ, once considered to be England's finest concert organ, having survived for 125 years despite incredible bad fortune, may soon be gone. Of course we all know it would be best for it to be fully restored, with all its enormous expensive pipes, and the massive case, and the huge parabolic reflector behind it. But that isn't going to happen. It's more likely that it will be removed and never heard from again. A few odd bits of wire to facilitate a Hauptwerk installation would be the least of its problems. But the Hauptwerk forum isn't the place for this discussion. I'll pursue it no further.
Mick Berg.

Return to General discussion