It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:13 am

Let's talk about spending more money.

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

BachsFugue

Let's talk about spending more money.

PostSun May 30, 2004 12:22 am

If you visit the following post, http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?t=41, you will get some background about the current post.

My acquisition of the organ console mentioned in my introductory post was accomplished in the week following the US Thanksgiving Day in late November and early December of last year. I got a great price on a one-way ticket by plane to California. I was “orange tagged” and subjected to close inspection at the Dayton, Ohio International Airport due to my one-was status. It was a minor inconvenience. The flights to Atlanta, Georgia and then to Los Angeles, California were a little turbulent. It just added a little variety to the monotony. I listened to the works of Bach on my Mp3 player throughout. (I also listened on my four-day drive back to Ohio.) I brought my prize, a three-manual and pedal MIDIfied organ console, home to Springfield, Ohio. My physical trauma from the 3600 km drive was limited to edema of the lower extremities and more of my chronic lower back pain. To save money (the truck rental was more expensive than the console), I didn’t stop at any motels to rest. I stopped at roadside rest areas along the Interstate Highways and sat in the driver’s seat of the truck and slept as best I could. I didn’t notice the swelling in my legs until the third night so I tried to get in a somewhat horizontal position. Needless to say, it was a bit of physical comedy in a rather smallish Ford rental truck cab! I went to a sitting position after about 30 minutes and decided that prayer was a much better strategy to stave off any thrombosis or embolism in my legs. I will gladly witness to the power of prayer and praise the Lord at any time!

The financial scope of the console acquisition was truly a deal I couldn't refuse. At $1500 (about €1230) for a fully MIDIfied console, my stretching of financial burdens was something all my friends told me to go for. The console is rock solid, the contacts are great (Peterson), and the electronics are fine (InterMIDI and Musicom). The trip to Cali (my first) was a lot of fun, and the drive through the desert southwest was beautiful.

The representative with whom I worked said that after my offer had been accepted, a party from Switzerland had inquired about the console and said that he wanted to ship it to England. The price on the console cannot be faulted, but can you imagine what the shipping costs would have amounted to to ship it to England? Wow! As far as I know, the Swiss offer was the only other offer the church received except for offers to buy the pedal board and the Musicom unit separately.

In mid January, I was able to sell the Hammond Concert Model organ that I had purchased new in 1967. (I had been ready to give it up probably in the early 1980s.) It was a very cold day that a physician from Michigan came the 250 miles (400 km) from the Detroit area to pick up the Hammond. I was making a last-minute fix of one of the reverberation springs on the tone cabinet. I wanted to check to make sure it worked just as the buyer backed into my driveway with a rental truck. I bounded onto the bench and BOOM! The damned thing broke into its constituent lumber! I felt bad that I had damaged the bench (that certainly is an understatement) so I discounted $150 from the $800 price we had agreed upon. I recently emailed him to find out how he was enjoying the Hammond. He is into all that jazz so he’s in hog heaven. He told me that the bench cost him exactly $150 to have repaired! Imagine that!

I stored the console in my attached but unheated garage through the winter. I moved it into the house in mid-April through the large picture window in my living room. (Yes, I removed the window first.) I made sounds from Hauptwerk using the console after a couple weeks (I had go to eBay for a power supply). I am, needless to say, enthralled with what I've accomplished, and the St. Anne organ, the Prudhoe Methodist Organ, and die Ott Orgel bring me delight each time I play the virtual instruments. I got a real charge out of the “Holy Ghost” organ, too. When I use Hauptwerk, it is not a pipe organ that I play, and it certainly isn't that Hammond RT-3 I had for 35+ years. But, for me, it is next best to a real pipe organ. I don't even need a good sound system; I use an inexpensive set of Koss headphones and listen directly from my M-audio Audiophile USB sound device (instead of a PC sound card).

I am still working on the whole setup, but my wonderment mounts each time I play. The sheer variety of sounds and, for me, the superb quality of voices will entertain me until I go to my final rest. Hauptwerk is the solution to my craving for an instrument that would otherwise be unattainable. The clicking tonewheel thingy certainly didn't palliate my longing for a good pipe organ-like sound in my home. It became unbearable. The Hauptwerk program has allowed this organ "nut" to find some degree of contentment. Now I have to save my nickels and dimes to buy one of the Silbermann sample sets, or should I go for the Casavant, or maybe the Marcussen, or how about the Cavaillé-Coll, or the up-coming Skinner (no, we have a Skinner box at church), or that one from the Czech monastery, or the Schantz form Jonathan Orwig, or maybe I should just throw over the traces and get the Wurlitzer? Then there’s version 2 of Hauptwerk and the SQL database program to make organ definition files and the program to fiddle with samples and maybe a new computer....

“Open the pod bay door, HAL.” Help!

Cole Votaw

(I know I should change my signature line, but, technically, it's still correct. I was still seated on it after it and I fell on the floor. And I still don't like fried eggs.)
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

G'day

PostSun May 30, 2004 1:27 pm

photos?

BachsFugue

PostSun May 30, 2004 3:11 pm

photos?

D'oh! (If you're not familiar with this new AmerEnglish word--it's from Homer Simpson [Bart's parenting-challenged father]. It's an exclamation of total human impotence.)

Yes, I'm working on them, but I don't really have a good digital, and I'm not really good at getting film photos developed. I have some exposed rolls of film that are over 15 years old.

OK, I'm working on it; I'm working on it.

cdatzko

PostMon May 31, 2004 4:42 am

BachsFugue wrote:
photos?

D'oh! (If you're not familiar with this new AmerEnglish word--it's from Homer Simpson [Bart's parenting-challenged father]. It's an exclamation of total human impotence.)

Yes, I'm working on them, but I don't really have a good digital, and I'm not really good at getting film photos developed. I have some exposed rolls of film that are over 15 years old.

OK, I'm working on it; I'm working on it.

...so, do you have a bad digital? I have been working with a 1.3 Megapixel for 1½ years now and have no problem with it - it works fine for the web and for 13x18 (cm) prints. Of course no nifty features and you should think about how to take the picture in advance, but - it works.

Christian.

BachsFugue

PostMon May 31, 2004 10:10 pm

...so, do you have a bad digital?

Not really, the greatest problem with any indoor photo is lighting--either too much or not enough. I'm just learning to use an old version of Photoshop LE (it was bundled with another piece of Adobe software) to resurrect photos that are lousy without tweaking. I'm having limited success. I hope to have something posted within the current week.

Return to General discussion