It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 am

Does some music.... make your eyes tear up?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

B777Captain

Does some music.... make your eyes tear up?

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 6:05 pm

So...

I’m not a professional organist at all...just for fun in my own way. My friends think I’m JS Bach when I play for them! Lol...

There is a piece I’m just starting to learn I’m sure you all know. I discovered this about 6 months ago. It’s titled, “I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say” (KINGSFOLD)

I am not an overly religious man, but hearing this piece performed by Wendy Ritchie & Celtic Source, I pretty much just ‘lost it’ and started to cry rather hard ... it just was very emotional listening experience and certainly touched my soul.

So, I found the sheet music for it, which is quite basic, but certainly a challenge for me... and well... after the first time I played the first line, I again had my eyes water up.

I was just wondering if any of you too... have had this experience with any music you’ve heard and also played on your HW?

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

romcat

Re: Does some music.... make your eyes tear up?

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 10:24 pm

César Franck's Chorale #3 in A minor does it for me in this regard (played, no, but have heard many recordings)

And, while also not an overly religious type, O Holy Night, particularily the refrains

Purator

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 4:28 am

Last year I had the honour of playing the service for rededicating the organ at one of "my" churches. I started the service with Christopher Tin's "Baba Yetu" played on the small, 11/2+P Eule Organ from 1911. I got tears in my eyes after the first few bars and am right now getting tears in my eyes just thinking about it...

brooke.benfield

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 10:03 am

It was October of 2013. The occasion was the dedication program for the new Hauptwerk instrument and I had just finished the introduction to My Eternal King by Jane Marshall. The choir started to sing their opening acapella phrase and it was so stunning my eyes started to water up. I could only enjoy that experience for a moment because I needed to be able to see the music. Thankfully I got my act together and was able to continue.

Also, playing certain hymns at memorial services and sometimes even regular church services start the fountains for me.It's difficult because we musicians in these circumstances are there to provide the ride, not get on it; we have to maintain control of our emotions for the benefit of those we serve.
Brooke Benfield
Organist, Gethsemane Lutheran Church
Portland OR

profeluisegarcia

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 7:47 am

Feike Asma - Fantasie over de Avondzang / Utrecht
"Evening song to pay my thanks to our Lord"

https://pcorgan.com/Luister5.html

(Wonder if I can share the sheet music with interested fellows. I´d gladly do it -PM- . Doubtless Asma would be pleased).

Luis

sesquialtera

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 11:44 am

Hello
The last two minutes of Mahler's symphony n°2 : Goosebumps and tears everytime I listen to it !

Some Pierre Cochereau's improvisations make my eyes wet too !

and J.S. Bach's fugue bwv 552 !

magnaton

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 1:32 pm

When I was young, this one effected me:
The Reader's Digest box set called "Organ Memories". It contained a recording of Virgil Fox playing Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D minor (yes that one). I think it was on the Royal Albert Hall organ. The section that would haunt me was the counterpoint between a reed and flute in the fugue about halfway in.
Here is recording that demonstrates this starting at time mark 4:13. However on the RD recording he used a Cor Anglais for the reed vs a Clarinet heard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHs7DH2f2ug

If you have read the Carlo Curley book "In The Pipe Line", he talks about the lengthy rehearsal sessions that Virgil would do to prepare for a concert on the venue's pipe organ. He would agonize over registrations sometimes on section of the score of just 4 or 5 measures, experimenting over and over trying to find that perfect sound. I've heard that that on occasion, he would still be working out registration details minutes before the doors to the church or concert venue would open. I wonder is there anyone on the concert scene now who can 'transform' an instrument like he could.

Danny B.

voet

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 8:40 pm

There are two pieces that move me deeply.

1. The text of O Mensch bewein dein Sünde groß [O man, bewail thy grievous sin] is expressed so vividly through Bach's setting. I cannot imagine anyone not being touched by this piece.

2. Johannes Eccard's masterpiece Maria wallt zum Heiligtum [When to the temple Mary went]. As one person commented "One of those rare pieces that would immortalise their composer even if he had written nothing else." I can imagine Simeon with the Christ child in his arms saying these words at the end of his life.

Jan Loosman

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 3:14 pm

Erbarme dich, mein Gott.

So beautifull

https://youtu.be/BBeXF_lnj_M

And the organ transcription, watch his socks

https://youtu.be/ICUbQqhC7q0

Regards Jan

jerrymartin

PostMon Sep 28, 2020 5:48 pm

Jan Loosman wrote:Erbarme dich, mein Gott.

Regards Jan

Thank you for sharing this with us - devastatingly beautiful. I have never seen third-manual control quite like that before (Except perhaps cameron carpenter) - and here it is so understated. What a performance.

(Did you see the score is available if you want to download and try breaking a finger or three...)
Jeremiah Martin,
Portsmouth, Ohio

Jan Loosman

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 3:34 am

jerrymartin wrote:
Jan Loosman wrote:Erbarme dich, mein Gott.

Regards Jan

Thank you for sharing this with us - devastatingly beautiful. I have never seen third-manual control quite like that before (Except perhaps cameron carpenter) - and here it is so understated. What a performance.

(Did you see the score is available if you want to download and try breaking a finger or three...)

I knew the score is available.
But beside copying his socks the rest is way out off my league.
In Hauptwerk you could make a midi recording off this piece with the upper, lower and pedal keyboard and later play and add the middle keyboard melody line when you make the final audio recording.
So you can record this if you want to (a bit cheating though) :)

Jan

voet

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 2:47 pm

Jan, I would like to add my appreciation for the two performances you shared. They are both wonderful.

If you would like a different take on the same chorale played by Juan De La Rubia, check out the link below. I believe he is playing the Metzler organ at Poblet Abbey, which, as you know, is available for Hauptwerk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n66wdXmddYs

I used to think that this sort of more romantic interpretation was anathema for Bach, but when I learned that Bach admired the work of Tobias Trost and may have even played his organ at Waltershausen which has an Unda Maris (also available on Hauptwerk), I became more open to this approach. It is definitely easier to play than Benjamin Righetti's beautiful transcription.

nrorganist

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 3:55 pm

Adding to Jan's response mentioning Erbarme dich, mein Gott from St Matthew Passion - BWV 244, here is another performance (non-organ) of Erbarme dich, mein Gott from the Netherlands Bach Society:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zry9dpM1_n4

In particular, Tim Mead's Alto performance cuts right to my soul.

All of Bach is a multi-year project to: twice a week, post a work of Bach's on YouTube until every work (organ and non-organ) has been performed and recorded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arFoqBf2sho&feature=youtu.be

All of Bach's audio, video and cinematography is some of the best I have found. The organ works performances are a treasure trove for us in the Hauptwerk community.

For more information about All of Bach, see:
[url]allofbach.com[/url] or https://www.bachvereniging.nl/en/allofbach

Enjoy,
Mark

Jan Loosman

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 4:33 pm

voet wrote:Jan, I would like to add my appreciation for the two performances you shared. They are both wonderful.

If you would like a different take on the same chorale played by Juan De La Rubia, check out the link below. I believe he is playing the Metzler organ at Poblet Abbey, which, as you know, is available for Hauptwerk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n66wdXmddYs

I used to think that this sort of more romantic interpretation was anathema for Bach, but when I learned that Bach admired the work of Tobias Trost and may have even played his organ at Waltershausen which has an Unda Maris (also available on Hauptwerk), I became more open to this approach. It is definitely easier to play than Benjamin Righetti's beautiful transcription.

Hello Voet
Not the same piece i think this is chorale Bwv 721 i often play it myself. Very beautifull also i agree, i play it a little bit faster though, but this tempo fits this piece also very good.
The piece i suggested was Bwv 244 The aria from The Mattheus Passion.
Altough the name resembles.

Jan

voet

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 5:51 pm

Jan Loosman wrote:Not the same piece i think this is chorale Bwv 721 ...
The piece i suggested was Bwv 244 The aria from The Mattheus Passion.

Yes, thank you for correcting my mistake, Jan.

The transcription by Benjamin Righetti is so well done. I admire his skill in transcribing it and then playing it so beautifully. Also, I really like the The Scherrer/Walcker/Kuhn organ. The 8' Hautbois in the Récit is really beautiful. This organ would be a great addition to the Hauptwerk family!

Here is a link describing the instrument:http://fugatto.free.fr/lausanne_stfrancois.html

Return to General discussion