It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am

HW v4 -> HW v5 -> HW v6 ... the best way?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

John L

Re: HW v4 -> HW v5 -> HW v6 ... the best way?

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 9:47 am

There may be a misconception that v6 allows editing of midi notes and events recorded in HW's internal recorder. v6's "sequencer" refers to registration changes saved in its stepper. v6 does not allow you to edit midi recordings..

Thanks Randall and, yes, that was my understanding of the enhancement. I'm at the stage with (re)learning the organ that I find I have changes of plan for registration changes quite often (or my teacher does!) hence the desire to insert/delete steps in the sequencer. I'm not sure I know why I would ever want to edit MIDI recordings but perhaps that need will assert itself when I get a bit better!

SMann

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 2:47 pm

I'm not sure I know why I would ever want to edit MIDI recordings...

With the countless mistakes I make while playing, editing my MIDI recordings is essential if I want to share them with someone and not have to hang my head in shame! :D

mrkniz

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 5:38 pm

Here's my situation. I had been running Hauptwerk V4 on a 10-year-old MacMini. I had purchased V5 back in January and installed it on my desktop computer just as a temporary measure. At some point I uninstalled it. Recently I bought a new Mac mini and installed V5 but I no longer had the activation code. ILok didn't recognize it, so to all intents and purposes though V5 has been installed it has never been used. Now there is V6.

My questions are: 1) Can I uninstall V5, and just install V6 without upgrading from either V4 or V5? It would seem to me that if I were a newbie I would not have had the previous versions and would just start with V6. Which leads to my second question: 2) Must I in some way have to surrender V5?, and with V4 I still had the original DVD and Dongle. What do I do?

Ken Zink

mdyde

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 4:39 am

Hello Ken,

Thanks very much for the interest in upgrading to v6.

mrkniz wrote:1) Can I uninstall V5, and just install V6 without upgrading from either V4 or V5?

Yes. (As for any previous version), the Hauptwerk v6 installer will upgrade an existing Hauptwerk installation if one is present on the computer you run it on, otherwise it will perform a new/clean installation. Hence you don't need to have an existing Hauptwerk installation on the computer, and/or you can uninstall any one that is present first if you prefer.

mrkniz wrote:2) Must I in some way have to surrender V5?

If you buy a Hauptwerk v5->v6 Advanced Edition Perpetual licence upgrade, then yes -- within iLok License Manager you need to surrender your v5 licence (which exchanges it for a v6 licence). (If that wasn't the case, then a user would end with both a full v5 licence and a separate/independent full v6 licence, and he/she could resell one of them illicitly whilst keeping the other, or use them simultaneously on two computers without having paid for the second full licence.) However, there should be no reason that you would need to keep the v5 licence, since v6 has no disadvantages (or known bugs, and it's well-proven) compared to v5, and v6 is fully compatible with all sample sets, hardware, and platforms, that were compatible with v5.

[If you do specifically want to be able to keep a full licence for v5, whilst having another full (v6) licence, e.g. in order to be able to use them both simultaneously on two computers, then you'd need to buy a full new v6 licence (instead of a v5->v6 upgrade).]

Note also that if you buy a Hauptwerk v5->v6 Advanced Edition Perpetual licence upgrade then you don't need to have Hauptwerk v5 installed; you just need to have activated the v5 licence within iLok License Manager, so that you can then surrender (exchange) it for the v6 licence within iLok License Manager.

mrkniz wrote:with V4 I still had the original DVD and Dongle. What do I do?

When you upgrade to v5+ (e.g. with a clean installation of v6), you will need to use the 'File | Initiate migration of Hauptwerk pre-v5 sample set licenses to this version' menu function within Hauptwerk (v5+) to migrate your v4 licences to v5+. Once that function has been used (and the resulting file submitted via the website form), your v4 dongle will no longer be usable, but all of your previous sample set licences will be deposited automatically into your iLok account, so that you can use them in v5+. E.g. this post covers it: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p134372 . (I understand that since October there might be a $30 fee for migrating v4 licences: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19044 .)

I hope that helps, and thanks again.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

mrkniz

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 4:20 pm

PerhapsI didn't make something clear in my former post. Basically my problem is that I made a mistake when I first ordered the perpetual upgrade in January 11, 2020. I knew V5 was not going to be installed on my 2010 MacMini, so I temporarily installed it on my desktop iMac, and have long since uninstalled it. In so doing I apparently "used up" my activation code; so now that I have a new MacMini I re-downloaded the latest V5 a few weeks ago, but no activation code. Therefore, my iLok account has no record of a V5 license, which simply means Hauptwerk 5 doesn't work. Without an activation code V5 is no good to me or to anyone else. [By the way, I can assure you that I would never, ever even consider selling a copy of Hauptwerk or of doing anything sinister.]

At this point my preference would be to simply trash V5, and just make a clean install with V6. Otherwise I would need a new activation code for V5 just for the sake of that license being recognized in iLok, and then rolled over to the V6 license. It seems like an awfully complicated way to achieve the same thing; but I will abide by your rules.

An aside: Recently I purchased the official Hauptwerk console from Brett. It arrived in beautiful condition, but I have yet to get it all together. I'm thrilled to have it not only because it's a beautiful console, but that it's a major piece of Hauptwerk history!
Again, Thanks. Ken

micdev

Site Admin

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 5:00 pm

Hello Ken,

In so doing I apparently "used up" my activation code; so now that I have a new MacMini I re-downloaded the latest V5 a few weeks ago, but no activation code

The activation code must be redeemed in ilok manager. I checked your ilok account and there is no license in it, so I don't understand how you could use HW5 without redeeming the license. If you go to your Hauptwerk.com account or check the email that you received when you bought HW4-HW5 upgrade you will find your activation code.

Try to redeem that code in iLok Manager. Log with your ilok credentials, then go to Licenses | Redeem... and enter your 30-digit activation code. Do you get an error when redeeming that code? On a license redeems it stays there (cloud) or is in an ilok dongle (which is not the case since I don't see a dongle in your account... unless I don't have the right account, but it is your email address).

Let me know if you can redeem your code. If so, you can then buy Hauptwerk 6 upgrade and redeem the code (and surrender Hauptwerk5 license).

=== EDIT ===
I searched some more, generated a report from iLOK and it seems that you *never* redeemed your Hauptwerk 5 upgrade license.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

RickC

PostFri Dec 04, 2020 3:44 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one in this position. It wasn't worth upgrading to V on the old computer, and the year has not gone as planned. The last of the memory arrived today for the new one, so I'll be going to VI shortly.
The new machine has Win 10 20H2, and it would not install the dongle driver for Version 4. Will that be a problem?
And, I've several version 4 organs which have not been updated - like First Baptist Riverside (FBR). Can that be imported into Version VI?
Thanks,
Rick

mdyde

PostSat Dec 05, 2020 4:54 am

Hello Rick,

Thanks very much for the interest in upgrading to v6.

RickC wrote:The new machine has Win 10 20H2, and it would not install the dongle driver for Version 4. Will that be a problem?

To my knowledge, the latest version of the HASP driver (for the v4 Hauptwerk USB Key) is fully compatible with all current versions of Windows 10. We certainly haven't had any reports of compatibility problems. If you have any problems getting the version of the HASP driver to install that we host for download here, then please do let us know (and we can check whether there's a newer version available, etc.): https://www.hauptwerk.com/v4-license-updates/

RickC wrote:And, I've several version 4 organs which have not been updated - like First Baptist Riverside (FBR). Can that be imported into Version VI?

Hauptwerk v5+ is natively compatible with all non-encrypted pre-v5 sample sets. For encrypted sample sets, a v5+ compatible version of each sample set is needed. To my knowledge, this list of sample set producers who have v5+ versions of all of their encrypted sample sets is current and correct:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833#p133683

(Most of the sample set producers who aren't on that list don't have any encrypted sample sets anyway. If in doubt about any particular sample set or producer, please check with the producer directly.)
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 9:54 am

I may have missed the information regarding the Hauptwerk VI License Migration. Question, does a separate Migration License need to be purchased for each HW license? I have three.

Rgds,
Ed

giwro

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 10:06 am

RickC wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one in this position. It wasn't worth upgrading to V on the old computer, and the year has not gone as planned. The last of the memory arrived today for the new one, so I'll be going to VI shortly.
The new machine has Win 10 20H2, and it would not install the dongle driver for Version 4. Will that be a problem?
And, I've several version 4 organs which have not been updated - like First Baptist Riverside (FBR). Can that be imported into Version VI?
Thanks,
Rick

Hi Rick,

All of our encrypted sets have been updated to run with HW-V or 6, since the FBR organ was not encrypted, there’s no need for that, and it can be safely installed.
Jonathan Orwig
Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA
http://www.evensongmusic.net

mdyde

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 10:20 am

Hello Ed,

See Michelle's announcement here about that:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19044

As I understand, since 1st October, the $30 fee applies per Hauptwerk v4 dongle that you upgrade to v5+ (it definitely isn't per sample set). Once a v4 dongle has been migrated to v5+, it never needs to be migrated again, and the v4 dongle can be discarded.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 11:32 am

Yes, Martin. I saw that. And I wasn't able to do the free migration due to many unplanned expenses in 2020. At this point, I'm not sure I can or want to afford all these upgrades, etc. Unfortunately, there are things more important than Hauptwerk for some of us.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 11:44 am

Thanks, Ed. Of course -- understood.
Best regards, Martin.

positive

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 10:49 am

HW v4 -> HW v6 directly, skipping the v5 while also setting up a new computer.
I have the iLok Cloud Manager installed. I have never activated the v5 license actually. Do I need to activate it in the iLok before installing v6?

micdev

Site Admin

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 10:57 am

Hello Positive,

You will need to redeem your Hauptwerk 5 license in ilok Manager then redeem your Hauptwerk 6 license.

Once both licenses in ilok Manager, deactivate Hauptewrk 5 (if it was activated when you redeemed it) by right-clicking on it , select DEACTIVATE, then right-click Hauptwerk 6 license, click ACTIVATE (and follow the instructions).

You don't need to install Hauptwerk 5 before installing Hauptwerk 6. You only need to run the Hauptwerk 6 installer
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager
Previous

Return to General discussion