It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:41 am

Studio one midi editing help

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Romanos

Studio one midi editing help

PostFri Nov 27, 2020 1:19 pm

Greetings all,
I was wondering if there is anyone who has cleaned up a midi file in StudioOne (5 pro, in my case) successfully. I just fixed a little blip that I had and then saved the midi file and tried to open it in HW, but now the manuals are playing double pedal and the pedal is nowhere to be found. Apparently StudioOne changed the channel assignments and I'm not sure why. Any advice would be appreciated.

randallschmid

Re: Studio one midi editing help

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 11:24 am

Was the original midi file created by HW's internal recorder or recorded in S1?

If you originally recorded in S1 using organ console, saving a midi file in S! and playing it in HW will likely not work. This is because you likely have set keyboard channel assignments and midi learn functions in HW which transforms your console's midi data into the midi data the sample set requires.

If this is the case, I suggest the following:

1. In HW's input midi port assignment page, enable the HW vst link port on the left side (console). The left side ports expect console midi data. The right side ports expect fixed sample set data. HW's recorder records and plays back files in fixed data format only..
2. in S1, set the track's midi output to HWvstlink. Make sure split tracks is enabled and all midi channels are enabled.
3. Play the track in S1. It should sound correctly in HW. Your audio output can be left as-is. If you do not want to record audio, you do not need to route audio to S1.
4. If you want to convert the file to play in HW's player, record it in HW while it is playing from S1 (through a left side input port)..

Romanos

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 9:18 pm

I had recorded using HW's internal recorder, and then I imported that midi file into S1. Saving the file as midi and opening it right back up in HW didn't work as S1 does something to break the file. Curiously, I opened the exact same HW file in Cubase elements 10 and I could edit it and save it and open it back in HW no problem. So, it looks like cubase le might be my path forward; it's a shame though because I vastly prefer S1 and I have S1 pro 5...

randallschmid

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 6:27 am

I would suggest the following:

1. Record a very short simple file using HW, i.e. one note on each keyboard.
2. Open the midi file in S1. Save it under a different name without changing anything.
3. Load the new file in HW and see if it plays correctly.

If the file does not play correctly, it should be easy to determine why by comparing the two files in a midi list editor. I would then address your issue to Presonus tech support or on the Presonus S1 forum. Since the issue would then be easily reproduceable you should get an answer.

randallschmid

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 2:38 pm

Pretty obvious but just to make sure - are you are playing the edited midi file using the same sample set with which the original midi file was created?

Romanos

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 7:30 pm

randallschmid wrote:Pretty obvious but just to make sure - are you are playing the edited midi file using the same sample set with which the original midi file was created?

Yes, lol. Good question though.

Romanos

PostMon Nov 30, 2020 7:30 pm

I should also mention that I see a 4th channel labeled "system messages" in cubase but that channel is completely missing (or hidden) in S1.

Return to General discussion