It is currently Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:05 am

Hauptwerk 4 Installer

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

santamarina

Hauptwerk 4 Installer

PostTue Dec 01, 2020 3:02 pm

Been happily using Hauptwerk 4 for many years. Recently did a clean install on my machine and realized I didn't have a backup of the installer. Went to download it...now version 5 is up, so downloaded a demo. Went back a week later...version 6 is up. Would love to go back to plain old version 4 - every feature I need was in the free version. Don't really want to pay a subscription for features I'll never use.

mdyde

Re: Hauptwerk 4 Installer

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 4:49 am

Hello santamarina,

I understand that Hauptwerk v4 is no longer available for download, and it's no longer supported, I'm afraid -- sorry. Hence you'd need to upgrade to the current version (v6) if you need help from us. If you had a licence for v4 (as opposed to using the v4 Free Edition), then you could potentially buy a licence upgrade to th the v6 Advanced Edition perptual licence, otherwise you could either buy a new v6 Advanced Edition perpetual licence or take out a subscription. Even if you wouldn't have a particular need for the major areas of new functionality in v5 and v6, there are a lot of smaller improvements in both versions, and also significant improvements in overall audio realism/quality, so hopefully you'd still find upgrading to be worthwhile.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ddcaruso

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 7:23 pm

Hello,
I've been wondering about the need or desire to upgrade to VI, as 4 has been just fine for me. I have a perpetual license with the dongle. I believe my version is the Advanced. If I were to download and try version VI, but decided that 4 still works fine for me, is there any way to go back? As I understand the instructions, I would have to completely uninstall v. 4 in order to use v. VI. If I wanted to go back, what would I have to do to get it back since downloading 4 is no longer available as an option.
Thanks
Diane

mdyde

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 5:14 am

Hello Diane,

Thanks very much for the interest in upgrading.

I have a perpetual license with the dongle. I believe my version is the Advanced

Yes -- I see from MDA's database that your current licence is indeed for the v4 Advanced Edition, so this is the item you would need to buy in order to upgrade to a v6 Advanced Edition Perpetual licence: https://www.hauptwerk.com/upgrade-advan ... perpetual/

ddcaruso wrote:If I were to download and try version VI, but decided that 4 still works fine for me, is there any way to go back? As I understand the instructions, I would have to completely uninstall v. 4 in order to use v. VI. If I wanted to go back, what would I have to do to get it back since downloading 4 is no longer available as an option.

It's correct that, in order to revert to v4 after installing v6, you would need to un-install Hauptwerk v6 completely (selecting the option in the un-installer to remove all files/settings), then re-install v4.2.1. (You would also need to make sure that you didn't use the menu function within v6 to migrate your pre-v5 sample set licences, otherwise your v4 dongle would no longer be usable in v4). The 'Licensing, editions, and technical support' section in the main Hauptwerk user guide (pages 11-12 in the current v6.0.1 version: https://www.hauptwerk.com/documentation/ ) covers that in more detail, as do the release notice, and this topic (written when v5 was released, but the same still applies): viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17833&p=133612#p133612 . Given that MDA no longer has v4 available for download, you would only be able to re-install v4 if you already had a saved copy of the v4.2.1 installer somewhere (e.g. from previously having downloaded it, or on a DVD).

I do think and hope that you'd find there are lot of worthwhile improvements in v6/v5 above v4 (including significantly improved realism and audio quality), so hopefully you'd feel it would be worth moving fully to v6 anyway.
Best regards, Martin.

jdkwant

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 11:01 am

I have the installers of all HW versions on my PC. Version 4 also.
And I would like to make these available for download, for users that still use older versions.

But I question myself? Am I allowed to do that?

And if not, am I allowed to share these installers privately?

Regards, Johan

randallschmid

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 6:58 pm

From the V4 end user license agreement:

2.2. Limitations On License. Except as expressly authorized above, You and/or any person(s) acting with
or for You may not:
(a) directly or indirectly sell, lease, rent, license, sub-license, redistribute, lend, give, transfer or
otherwise distribute or use the Software without written consent from Milan Digital Audio;

ddcaruso

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 7:08 pm

Thanks for your detailed response! I will ponder these things and determine what might be the best course for me over the next few months. It does sound like downloading v. 6 as a trial is a no-going-back thing for me, as my v. 4 was a direct download, so no cd back up. The real problem is that I only have funds to either buy the upgrade, or the organ that will now only work with later versions. Can't do both, unfortunately. But thank you for the information to help me determine my next moves.
Diane

randallschmid

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 7:14 pm

Unfortunately the public HW forum is not the place where you should look for a v4 installer. MDA would be within their rights to cancel the license of anyone who helps you

mdyde

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 4:16 am

jdkwant wrote:I have the installers of all HW versions on my PC. Version 4 also.
And I would like to make these available for download, for users that still use older versions.

Regards, Johan

Thanks very much for the kind and well-meant offer, and for checking with us, but I understand that MDA would prefer that v4 is no longer distributed (especially due to the HASP-based licensing system that it used having been cracked and widely exploited).
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Dec 10, 2020 4:17 am

ddcaruso wrote:Thanks for your detailed response! I will ponder these things and determine what might be the best course for me over the next few months. It does sound like downloading v. 6 as a trial is a no-going-back thing for me, as my v. 4 was a direct download, so no cd back up. The real problem is that I only have funds to either buy the upgrade, or the organ that will now only work with later versions. Can't do both, unfortunately. But thank you for the information to help me determine my next moves.
Diane

Thanks again, Diane.
Best regards, Martin.

jdkwant

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 10:38 am

mdyde wrote:
jdkwant wrote:I have the installers of all HW versions on my PC. Version 4 also.

Regards, Johan

Thanks very much for the kind and well-meant offer, and for checking with us, but I understand that MDA would prefer that v4 is no longer distributed (especially due to the HASP-based licensing system that it used having been cracked and widely exploited).

Martin,

Thanks for your kind reply.
If v4 is subject to possible misuse, I understand fully you rather don't want it being published online and I will not do so.

And I find direct download links for both v5 and v6 on the forum, so all we need for now is available already:
- Installers v5
- Installers v6

mdyde

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 10:46 am

Thanks, Johan.

Yes -- v5.0.1 is still available for download (via the forum) for those who might need it.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to General discussion