It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 1:31 pm

YouTube videos- How to record?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

B777Captain

YouTube videos- How to record?

PostSun Dec 06, 2020 5:00 pm

This is probably the wrong thread for this but I’m sure Martin will direct it to its rightful location....

I just made a recording of Snowman: Walking on the Air and put it on youtube. I used my cellphone again... .and it just sounds horrible! There’s no other way to describe it. Yet, when I hear your YouTube’s, they sound flawless... as if I’m standing in the cathedral itself. Very natural.

https://youtu.be/_mQuvNE2aIk (Just to hear the poor quality)

I’m wondering how you guys make such great “sounding” videos on youtube. I’ve resorted to using external mics with limited success but certainly not what I hear on our members youtube videos which are amazing!

So, I’m assuming you all record:

1. Internally to HW?

But then .... how do you get it from HW to youtube keeping the natural sound of the real organ sample?
What’s the process?

I’d appreciate any guidance on this

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

mdyde

Re: YouTube videos- How to record?

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 4:00 am

[Topic moved here.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IanPounder

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 4:52 am

Hi Pat

I (in common with many others) find it best to use Hauptwerk's built-in recorder for the organ sound, and my phone (or a camera) just for the picture.

You then have a .wav file of the sound and (probably) .mp4 or .mov for the video (picture and sound). A simple video editor can be used to combine these (eg OpenShot - free). It helps if you play a loud chord just before your performance, and then when you select "show waveform" on both tracks in the editor you can line up the two tracks easily. Next, mute the sound on the video file, cut the loud chord and any other unwanted material, and export the project as a finished .mp4.

ldeutsch

PostMon Dec 07, 2020 10:31 am

I echo much of what has already been said. I use the direct audio recording from Hauptwerk for the sound and iPhones for the video. Take a look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVU5n_ap8qw

The big band was pre-recorded by my son, who is a professional composer/arranger/trumpeter. I recorded the audio for my organ track using Hauptwerk's internal audio recording. I used three iPhones for the three camera angles. I then used iMovie on my studio's Mac to combine these into the final organ video. I sent the result to my sone who integrated my video with the big band video. It sounds like a lot of work, but it only took about 30 minutes to real time playing (to get a few takes) and about an hour of video editing.

iMovie is a Mac product that comes free with all Macs. It is pretty basic - but good enough to do this.

Les

Organorak

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 5:47 pm

Yes, use Hauptwerk's MIDi and audio recorder for the main sound and video (and audio) from a mobile phone or camcorder. Play a few loud chords purposefully at the beginning, then in a video editor (I use Sony Vegas) introduce the camera video and audio tracks, and the Hauptwerk audio track. They won't line up as you will have started them at different times - so drag one or other (zoomed into the timeline so you can see the peaks of your starting chords and align the waveforms on both audio tracks). Then play both together - hopefully they should sound as one, and the visual of the chords being depressed should match, or immediately precede, the sound. Then simply mute the camera audio track. You may need to boost or play around with the Hautptwerk levels - I often fin mine record quite soft.

One word of warning - MIDI and recording resets if you change organ set so you can only record audio continuously on the same organ sample. The length of video is limited only by your capture device's storage capacity.

B777Captain

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 10:49 pm

Thanks for the replies gang!

Since I have a Samsung Android... will iMovie and the video from the Samsung Note 20 Ultra “play nice” together if at all in combining them into the iMovie???

I will try this and see how it works soon....

Thanks again!!

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

IanPounder

PostMon Dec 14, 2020 4:59 am

Your Samsung will almost certainly produce an mp4 file, which is fine for iMovie and most other video editors. Similarly with the wav files from the organ.

B777Captain

PostMon Dec 14, 2020 12:33 pm

I think the problem will be getting the Samsung mp4 video over into the iMovie platform.

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

srw647

PostMon Dec 14, 2020 1:03 pm

B777Captain wrote:I think the problem will be getting the Samsung mp4 video over into the iMovie platform.

Pat

As long as you've got reasonably quick internet access, I'd have thought that using a web service like Google Drive or the Apple equivalent should make that straightforward.

I don't use video, but I've got HW on a Mac. When I've finished recording a track I shove it into a directory that automatically syncs with Google Drive. It's then straightforward to download to a PC. I don't suppose any combination of Android/Mac/iOS/Windows/Linux should be much more complex.

B777Captain

PostMon Dec 14, 2020 1:25 pm

No... It’s not that easy. I did find a good video on transferring android phone videos to iPad which is exactly what I have, but the same menu doesn’t show up on my phone that shows up on the video maker’s phone. Figures..... I even have the two devices hooked up via cable. Arghhh..

I will have to go the ATT store here in town and bring both devices and ask them how to do it. You’d think an mp4 wouldn’t be problematic... but it is.

I’ll keep looking and trying
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

IainStinson

PostMon Dec 14, 2020 1:34 pm

I’ve been recording services at church on an iPhone. Getting large files (1.5GB) from the iPhone to the PC can be challenging. I’ve let the iPhone sync with my Apple photo storage, then downloaded the file to the PC using the web interface to icloud.com (using Chrome). The sync can take a while (around an hour), the download is faster.

I would recommend keeping the individual video sections fairly short! I’ve found dealing with large files quite frustrating - the Apple stuff appears to behave in different ways each time I try this. Keep the files small.

I am going to try the Files app on the iPhone and connecting via the LAN to a networked (local) disk.

I suspect the Android solution would be similar....

Iain

B777Captain

PostMon Dec 14, 2020 3:41 pm

So I scoured youtube and found “Send Anywhere” app. It actually works quite easily for the transfer.

Now, all I need to do is figure out how to import the mp3 HW audio into iMovie and sync up video with audio. I haven’t used iMovie for at least a decade!! Lol.

Thanks again for the guidance!!

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

B777Captain

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 4:53 pm

So it turns out I cannot get my mp3 files from HW on a PC... over to iMovie. At all, so I will have to find a PC friendly movie editing software. Rather disheartening.... :-(

Pat
Pilot Southwest Airlines
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to General discussion