It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am

Poulenc Organ Concerto Competition

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

B. Milan

Site Admin

Poulenc Organ Concerto Competition

PostWed Jul 07, 2004 12:09 am

To encourage and support performing organists worldwide I'd like to propose a competition. One of my favorite pieces of organ literature is the Poulenc organ concerto. I think it would be great to have this piece used as a demo for the upcoming Skinner organ set! So, I thought it would be good fun to open up a competition to those that already know or would like to learn the piece. The prize would be a free copy of the Mt. Carmel Skinner organ samples and the demo would be used on our website.
The basic rule is that you must perform the organ part live recorded as MIDI data and sequence the orchestra part to fit. I would then use the data to create the audio files with samples from the Skinner organ and the Miroslav Orchestral library.
Granted, it is difficult to perform not playing on the intended instrument, but this is part of the competition! I'm estimating that the first version of the Skinner (HW 1.2) will be ready in August, so this gives some time for those interested to begin practicing and sequencing!
If you are interested in this idea, please send me an email for more details. As the completion date for the Skinner nears I'll post a deadline for the files to be emailed to me.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Walter

PostThu Jul 08, 2004 4:12 pm

Dear Brett!
It´s a great idea to want to play the organ-concert of Poulenc in MIDI Realtime. Unfortunately, Francis Poulenc has died only 1963. There is also the Orchestralpart only on loan. That should become difficult with the copyright... :cry:
Walter
P.S.: I love this Organconcert too, it´s my favourite!

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostFri Jul 09, 2004 10:44 am

Hello Walter! Thanks for the information. I will check on this and see if there is any copyright issue with this particular piece. I've heard several concerts and performed some Poulenc myself and know for a fact that there was no request for permission to perform the works. I'll try getting in touch with publishers to see what they have to offer on this matter. I appreciate your concern!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostWed Jul 14, 2004 11:59 am

I have confirmed from Durand publishers that this work is still under copyright and permission was denied to use the piece for an audio demonstration on the web. My apologies for not checking on this information first. So, the Poulenc Concerto unfortunately will not be able to be used for a demo.

Perhaps I'll think of something else for a competition with just a solo organ piece. Is anyone interested in this idea at all?

Hopefully a preliminary demo will be ready in the next week or two of the E.M Skinner organ. This should give everyone a good idea of what to expect. More info soon....
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

gingercat

PostSat Oct 09, 2004 4:28 am

Hi Brett,

Any news on the demo of the Skinner organ? Can't seem to find one on your site, and I'm eagerly looking forward to it!

Regards,
Chris.

B. Milan

Site Admin

PostSat Oct 09, 2004 9:39 am

Hello Chris,

Currently there are no publicly available demos for the Skinner. I decided that things should be more finalized with the samples before providing a preliminary demo. I hope to have the first version of the organ ready by late October or early November (HW1.2). Once things are ready and there are some demos I will post an announcement on this forum. I can assure you that the wait will be worth it!
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

Return to General discussion