Search:
Submit Search

Migrate Hauptwerk to New Computer

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.

Migrate Hauptwerk to New Computer

Postby rumpus » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:48 am

Hi Martin,

what is the correct sequence to migrate Hauptwerk, updates, sample sets, dongle updates etc. to a new computer?
rumpus

Postby mdyde » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:48 am

Hello,

The Hauptwerk licence and the licences for all protected sample sets are stored within the dongle itself and are not computer-specific or hardware-specific. To move Hauptwerk to a new computer you just need to:

- If you want to keep your existing settings, backup the following folder on your current computer:

[Hauptwerk installation folder]\HauptwerkUserData

- Install all operating system updates, attach MIDI and audio devices and install their latest drivers on the new computer.

- Install the current version of Hauptwerk on the new computer (v2.21 at the time of writing). Any current Hauptwerk download or CD contains the full version (no need install old versions and upgrade). Don't launch it yet.

- Attach your dongle to the new computer.

- If you want to keep your existing settings, replace the installed HauptwerkUserData folder with your backup copy from above.

- Launch Hauptwerk. Select the correct audio device on 'General settings | Audio outputs'. Select the correct MIDI ports for all entries on 'General settings | MIDI input paths' and 'General settings | MIDI output paths'.

- Test and set the audio buffer size and polyphony limit for the new computer, as described in the 'Performance tuning' section of the user guide.

- Re-install all sample sets via Hauptwerk's component installer (File | Install organ, ...). Apply any required patches to sample sets.

- Verify that they all load and work, and adjust organ settings if required to make best use of the new computer (e.g. polyphony limits, rank memory options).

Best regards,
Martin.
Last edited by mdyde on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdyde

Postby rumpus » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:45 pm

thanks martin
rumpus

Re: Migrate Hauptwerk to New Computer

Postby mnailor » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Has anyone figured out an alternative to reinstalling the samplesets from .rar files? It will take me weeks to do that again for 30+ samplesets.

I can copy all the Hauptwerk directories to the new machine using a portable drive, and restore user settings from a backup. Is it possible to make that work?

Thank you.
mnailor

Postby IainStinson » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:02 pm

Such a way would not be supported....

But I did copy the HW structure from one hard drive to a new hard drive on the same machine. Installed HW and St Anne first, then copied the HW file structure. It is important that the file structure is exactly the same as the Hauptwerk installation expects (which is why I installed St Anne first to be sure i could check the file structure). I used copy (not a backup / restore program). It worked fine. (Do check the file ownership and permissions.)

If you are using Windows, you may need to think about how you change the audio output device names.

Good luck.
Last edited by IainStinson on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IainStinson

Postby mnailor » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Thanks!
mnailor

Postby organtechnology » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:04 pm

IainStinson wrote:Such a way would not be supported....

But I did copy the HW structure from one hard drive to a new hard drive on the same machine. Installed HW and St Anne first, then copied the HW file structure. It is important that the file structure is exactly the same as the Hauptwerk installation expects (which is why I installed St Anne first to be sure i could check the file structure). I used copy (not a backup / restore program). It worked fine. (Do check the file ownership and permissions.)

If you are using Windows, you may need to think about how you change the audio output device names.

Good luck.

It would seem that if Hauptwerk were installed on a drive other than the system drive (say D\:) that the drive could migrate from computer to computer. Is that true?

Thomas
Complete VPO systems powered by Hauptwerk™. Real Wood Consoles, PC or MAC Computer Sound Modules, Audio for Home or Church.
info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com

Authorized Hauptwerk Dealer; Milan Digital Audio Dealer..
organtechnology

Return to General discussion