It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:34 pm

German User with Questions

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Rabbit

German User with Questions

PostWed Sep 01, 2004 6:23 am

Hello

I come from Germany and unfortunately speak not very well
English. I play piano (Yamaha Clavinova CVP-206) and test at present the program HAUPTWERK. At the moment I only have a Notebook with the following specifications:

- Intel Pentium 4 mobile 1,7 GHz
- 512 MB DDR Ram
- 30 GB HD
- Sound on board
- Connection to Piano MIDI: USB

I only wanna play mono. Is it possible to take that confuguration for greater organs ? Should I buy an external soundcard (USB) ? But which?Often I hear sounds like "crack and scratch". Does this software support ASIO driver ?

Greetings
The Rabbit Michael

Rudolf_Schwartz

PostWed Sep 01, 2004 9:43 am

Hello Rabbit,

as this is an international forum, we should keep writing in english as an act of courtesy - even though we are no native english speakers...

My advice is: buy more RAM for your notebook. 512 MB may be enough to play the Ott organ (which needs 300 MB of RAM for itself to load) - but it is not enough to play any bigger organ in Hauptwerk. This is because your operating system environment (Windows) also needs RAM for itself...

It's no use caring about a better sound card as long as you do not have enough RAM!
Cheers
Rudolf

Charles Braund

PostWed Sep 01, 2004 5:34 pm

I am currently running 25 stops with a mere 512Mb RAM and very little problems - just the occasional crackle on all 25 stops and very big chords.
I am also using reverberation and EQ which takes some processing and RAM power.

I should hasten to add that I also run a 2Gb machine with the same.

My reasons for running the 512Mb are simple - I use this configuration under Win 98 and try as I might I have not been able to alter 98 to accept more RAM. The reason why I run 98 is because Cooledit and other editing programs crash all the time under XP and some of th drivers for my soundcards are not wonderful with the emulation of XP ASIO drivers.

I am now in the process of shortening the loops so that more stops can be loaded under 98.

Careful looping and editing can result in extremely small files which are still successful.
Quote "Why spoil a perfectly good digital organ with real pipes" ?

NeilCraig

PostWed Sep 01, 2004 6:09 pm

Charles Braund wrote:The reason why I run 98 is because Cooledit and other editing programs crash all the time under XP and some of th drivers for my soundcards are not wonderful with the emulation of XP ASIO drivers.

Really? I have no problems with Cool Edit Pro 2, Seamless looper and a host of other stuff [e.g. Lightwave] under XP SP1 plus all security hotfixes.

I left 98 for NT4 6 years ago because the *artificial* resource limits within it prevent applications from accessing memory properly. Under 98, Bryce 3D complains about insufficient virtual memory when there are hundreds of MB of REAL RAM still available. No such problem under any NT variant OS.

The only piece of software which regularly crashes is Nero's wave editor and its media player, neither of which is any good.

If your system is fully up to date I can't see why you would have problems. Did you try running Cool Edit in compatability mode?

Best wishes//Neil

BachsFugue

PostThu Sep 02, 2004 12:52 am

Charles wrote,
My reasons for running the 512Mb are simple - I use this configuration under Win 98 and try as I might I have not been able to alter 98 to accept more RAM.

I don't think Win 98 was designed to access more than the 512 MB.
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

cdatzko

PostThu Sep 02, 2004 2:44 am

NeilCraig wrote:I left 98 for NT4 6 years ago because the *artificial* resource limits within it prevent applications from accessing memory properly. Under 98, Bryce 3D complains about insufficient virtual memory when there are hundreds of MB of REAL RAM still available. No such problem under any NT variant OS.

Whoops - I had this problem unter XP. I deliberatly turned of the swap file to have the system running faster. With 1 GB RAM I thought I could do that (of course not with Hauptwerk, but with all other software). And guess what: It complained about not having enough virtual memory with hundreds of megabytes RAM free!

Maybe XP inheritet too much from Windows 98...

BachsFugue wrote:I don't think Win 98 was designed to access more than the 512 MB.

Well, as far as I know Win 98 is designed not to work with 1 Gb RAM. I had it running with 1 Gb physical RAM and a limitation set to 768 Mb RAM (can be set somewhere in the ini files or something).

Christian.

Charles Braund

PostThu Sep 02, 2004 6:59 am

I'm actually running Cooledit 2000 which may be the problem.

Sadly Syntrillium disappeared soon after and I am not over anxious to pay Adobe a fortune for what is basically the same program that I have already spent good money on.

NeilCraig

PostTue Sep 07, 2004 5:06 pm

Charles Braund wrote:I am now in the process of shortening the loops so that more stops can be loaded under 98.

Careful looping and editing can result in extremely small files which are still successful.

I had sort of the same idea, but how short are you making them and have you done any subjective testing of how short they can be before it starts sounding crap?

Charles Braund

PostTue Sep 07, 2004 7:24 pm

Dear Neil,

It is surprising as to how short the loop can actually be and of course it differs in its success as to the nature of the pipe sound being looped. in many cases it is not possible to short loop a sample because of the amplitude and harmonic change creating a very noticable "beat". However, in other sounds, a short loop of a few cycles can produce an acceptable result - most notably on mixtures which are adding the extra harmonics in the first place.

Similarly, in very low bass samples with little harmonic development, the effect is less noticable.

I have created the original files with anything up to a 5 second loop but have also found that some sample types benefit from a shorter loop of a second or so.

By the way, the Romantic Organ I (original) (25 stops) is now available if you are so interested...

Charles

NeilCraig

PostWed Sep 08, 2004 4:11 am

Charles Braund wrote:Dear Neil,

By the way, the Romantic Organ I (original) (25 stops) is now available if you are so interested...

Charles

A question for you: Where the reed stops used differ between Set 1 and the forthcoming Set 2, would it be possible to "cross-grade" so all stops are available?

On edit: Tuba, French Horn, orchestral stops...?

Also (you knew I was going to ask this...) since I'm using mono samples with stereo reverb I have a lot of RAM (and shortly, CPU cycles) to play with so the more tone colours I have, the merrier.

I gather much of the SGH organ isn't usable but do you have any plans at present to expand your sample libraries significantly?

Also, I've not forgotten about that 2' scale double open you mentioned...

Best wishes//Neil

Charles Braund

PostWed Sep 08, 2004 7:07 pm

The "Willis" project is an ongoing thing in that as the larger libraries come out, they can be obtained by owners of previous libraries for minimal cost. The benefits of this are great in that different stops will appear in the largerspecs so for instance, in the 25 stop there is a Contra Fagoto 16' on the Swell - this will most likely change to a contra Trombone on a larger spec as the other stops become suficient in number and tonality to support it. However, you will still have the CF from the earlier spec. Other stops will be transposable or added to with the extra octaves etc. Of course there is nothing to syop anyone recreating new stops from what is already there - an example being GH - developing for GS who used a swell principal to create a very good and blending twelfth (though he still needs to get the tuning and scaling improved - I suppose that's my job).

Although much of St Georges is pretty crap to say the least, I am ongoing in the sampling of other Father Willis instruments of the same vintage or style. You will not know which stops or even individual pipes have come from either Huddersfield or Liverpool in the current spec since they have been made to blend accordingly - in fact one of the stops (one of the best actually), is made out of a mixture of 3 different sampled stops !

I do have a load of samples from both instruments which I haven't even started on yet so I have plenty to work on. However, there is one particular instrument that I will be recording soon which will take care of some of the missing stops that were unrecordable.

Yet again, there is no way that I am about to mix the results of say a Marcussen with the Willis because they just do not blend or work. When I do a Hill it will be all Hill etc.

Rest assured and I think people will know this by now, thatI do not take voicing etc. lightly and I think I could be described as knowing what I am doing - and if I don't, I always have the likes of RDS and others to point out that things are wrong..........and then I can correct them.

C

NeilCraig

PostThu Sep 09, 2004 4:41 am

Dear Charles

That's great news. I'll PM you later regarding purchasing.

Charles Braund wrote:Although much of St Georges is pretty crap to say the least, I am ongoing in the sampling of other Father Willis instruments of the same vintage or style.

Are you aware of the 1874 Father Willis in Mossley Hill Parish Church, Liverpool? NOPR register ID D02857

I was Organ Scholar there nearly 10 years ago and the organ is very satisfying to play. Disposition is vertical (I have a case photo somewhere) and the French Horn and Tuba (18" wind) are very fine. The Pedal Ophicleide is just inside the casework at ground level so is particularly deafening from the console but harmonically it is very good and sounds almost like a 32'

The only problems with speech are the Open Bass 16' in the bottom octave and the bottom G and A on the Violone which speak very slowly and rattle the casework.

If you don't know him, the organist is/was Colin Porter and if you would like to contact him I have his details and I'm sure he would be interested in both your project and Hauptwerk - he is a Johannus owner and Makin's have been to the church in the past to sample various stops including the Tuba.

Of course if you already have samples from there I'd bite your hand off for them.

Best wishes//Neil

Return to General discussion