Search:
Submit Search

E-MU 1616 PCI Soundcard

Hauptwerk software technical support only. Please make sure you have read the manual, tutorials and FAQ pages before requesting support.

E-MU 1616 PCI Soundcard

Postby Colossus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:38 pm

I am looking at the E-MU 1616 PCI Card for use with Hauptwerk v3. According to the information on the E-MU Web site, it is fully Win XP and Win XP 64 compatible. There is no mention of Win Vista 64. Does anyone have a word on whether support for Vista will be added in the future?

My interest was drawn to the 1616 as it has 3 stereo pairs of analog outputs. There is also quite a good price to be had for this particular card (less than $300 US).

My particular desire is to invest in a card that will migrate with me when I move to a 64-bit operating environment, will allow me to use ASIO, and will give me an opportunity to experiment with routing different ranks or divisions to multiple speakers. Here, then, is my question concerning using multiple sound channels in Hauptwerk v3:

Can Swell be routed to the first two channels (either two Mono or one Stereo pair), Great and Pedal to the second two channels, and then a mix of Swell and Great and Pedal to the third set of two channels (where perhaps reverb could be added)?
Colossus

Postby positive » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:32 am

You may find this thread helpful:
http://www.crumhorn-labs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2782

I got the 1212m card off ebay for $95 and will combine it via optical ADAT connection with ADA8000 Behringer unit (ca $200), giving me 8 analog outputs. During web study, I read some concerning reports of the analog outputs on E-mu cards failing. With ADAT output, this should not be a problem.
positive

Postby mdyde » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:22 am

Hello David,

We don't have an E-MU 1616 PCI or 1616M PCI here so I haven't actually had a chance to test one myself, but I understand from customers that it works and performs well. From E-MU's website I believe that the 'M' version has higher quality digital-to-analogue converters, so should give slightly higher audio quality.

The beta E-MU drivers in the forum post mentioned above apply to 64-bit XP and 64-bit Vista for the 1616/1616M PCI.

Can Swell be routed to the first two channels (either two Mono or one Stereo pair), Great and Pedal to the second two channels, and then a mix of Swell and Great and Pedal to the third set of two channels (where perhaps reverb could be added)?

Assuming that the 1616/1616M allows audio to be routed to its six audio output channels independently (I would be very surprised if it didn't), then what you want to do would be no problem using Hauptwerk (Advanced Edition)'s multi-channel audio capability. You can route any rank to any physical audio output(s) and also use the aux buses to mix it down to up to four additional outputs. Hence you would just route the Swell ranks to the first stereo output pair, Great and Pedal to the second, and also set all of the ranks to send to aux bus 1, which you would route to the third stereo output pair. You could alternatively treat each stereo pair as two separate mono outputs if preferred.

Best regards,
Martin.
mdyde

Return to Technical support