It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:36 pm

Which organs are missing?

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

Martin_Dümig

Which organs are missing?

PostTue Sep 21, 2004 2:37 am

Hello friends,

there is a discussion in another thread about which organ sample sets are in use. I think, there should also be a thread about missing sample sets to motivate our sample set producers or to recruit some new ones.

The theater organs are all waiting for Hauptwerk 2. There is no doubt, they will come.

The missing reed organ or in german "Harmonium" is noted in another thread. There seem to be some problems for scanning, but problems are there to be solved.

Speaking for the fraction of the "Mausoleum Organs", i am heavily missing the following:

* a spanish organ with their famous horizontal trumpets and their two faces, one to the choro and one to the aisle. Most of this organs are standing in pairs facing each other. One could combine the two organs to one set playable from different keyboards.

* an instrument from Andreas Silbermann sited in the Elsass

* a french instrument (ok, we already have a Cavaille Coll)

* an instrument of the so called "Norddeutschen Schule" from Scherer or Schnitger

* i have heared from an philippinean instrument build from bamboo (perhaps only dreamed?)

Then there are some interesting instruments yet out of the reach of Hauptwerk today, since they are too large (but maybee in some years):

* the famous organ from Gabler at the Convent from Weingarten

* the Schnitger-organ at St. Jacobi at Hamburg

Does anybody else know missing organ-like instruments?

Martin Dümig

Charles Braund

PostTue Sep 21, 2004 2:14 pm

In addition to ongoing work with my Willis romantic organ sets, I am also planning to do much the same for Hill. There is a distinctly different sound in a Hill organ and representative examples are Sidney Town Hall, Birmingham City Hall and Eton College to name a few.

Of course there are other Romantic builders such as Harrisons and many others but both Willis and Hill are considered to be paramount.

However, there is also the question of the "English" organ. not romantic but possesing a gentle singing and mellow nature. Such instruments are few and far between and are represented by Snetzler, Father Smith, Green and others.

No, you weren't dreaming about the Phillipine organ with the bamboo pipes. This interesting instrument was restored by Klais some years ago - I have the spec and photos if anyone is interested - and is predominently made of bamboo pipes some of considerable size.

Regarding French organs, as you state, we have one HW Cavaille Coll but it is only a very small one. perhaps a 3 manual will be forthcoming (I have one in mind for the future) The larger CC organs are dead easy to sample from the point of view of access since they are so spacious inside. The one I know is open to the public who can walk around on galleries inside it reached by sizeable staircases and the action is visible working behind glass panels !

Yet again, there is the "French" organ and like its English counterpart possesses few of the aspects of the CC instruments. Cliquot instruments are but one example.

Spanish instruments are not so easily accessible since the majority of them are truly antique and not far off falling to bits. The authorities are loath to let anyone near them to play, let alone sample but no doubt someone will gain access to Granada, Zaragossa Taragona etc.

NeilCraig

Re: Which organs are missing?

PostTue Sep 21, 2004 4:49 pm

Martin_Dümig wrote:Hello friends,

* i have heared from an philippinean instrument build from bamboo (perhaps only dreamed?)

Martin Dümig

You didn't dream it. Las Pinas Bamboo organ, built by Father Diego Cerra, a recollect priest-musician in 1818. One of the living glories of Philippine art, it is reputedly the only one of its kind in the world.

Located at the Catholic church of Las Pinas, a few miles south of Manila.

Had our house not been situated in the barangay (district) which was the epicentre of the late-August flooding, we would have paid a visit on our way back to Manila.

As it is, my new floor tiles were ruined and I had to settle for a lousy postcard <G>

Will post a scan of it to my webserver in the next few days...

It appears to have en-chamade reeds with - you guessed it - Bamboo resonators...

Magandang gabi po (good night)

Best wishes//Neil

GDay

Missing Organs

PostWed Sep 22, 2004 1:54 am

Hmmm . . . I like the sound of that, missing organs, a really forthright assertion that there should be certain organs in the Hauptwerk Pantheon. No ifs or buts about it, these organs ought to be included on the sample makers list - they demand entrance, and who are we to deny them. In the interest of expediency and efficiency, I have taken it upon myself to compile an urgent list of these notoriously missing instruments, and have further delegated the task to the various sample makers in our midst - by way of unburdening their shoulders of the decision as to who will do what - clearing their slate to get right at it.
The Compenius organ of Fredricksborg castle goes to Professor Maier, who will do a fine job. Step up to the plate Professor, and thank very much in advance.
To Jonathan Orwig goes the honour of sampling the memorial Flentrop organ of Duke Chapel. We could not be happier with this choice, thank you a hundred times over.
The wonderful Metzler organ of Grossmunster church Zurich, is awarded to Jiri Zurek. A fitting match if I do say so (and I do).
To Christian Datzko is given the prestige of sampling the Great Festival Organ in the Basilica of Chorherrenstift, Klosterneuburg near Vienna. I know, I know, we already have available three similar organs in the Silbermanns, but this one, ahh, pure Heaven.
To Charles Braund I might have suggested a Compton, but could you be a sporting good fellow and knock about the continent for a bit and sample an Anderson for us, any Anderson will do. Glory shall be yours!
And last (for the first shall be last) the highest honour and everlasting appreciation shall go to Brett Milan. To you is the task alotted to sample (in awe and devotion) the single greatest organ on the North American continent, the great Rodulf von Beckerath organ of Saint Joseph's Oratory in Montreal. May perpetual bliss be yours.
Well there you have it. Is Christmas too soon for the first deliveries?

. . . .ahh, dream with me, GDay

surei

PostTue Oct 05, 2004 9:31 am

so who shall be doing Wanamakers?

wonder what 700plus stop-tablets look like on the PC-screen

cdatzko

PostWed Oct 06, 2004 3:34 am

surei wrote:so who shall be doing Wanamakers?

wonder what 700plus stop-tablets look like on the PC-screen

Well, it only requires a 36"-Screen with a 4000x3000 pixel resolution - of course designed as touch screen.

I bet this baby will be more cost intensive than the 40 Gb RAM needed.

Christian.

adri

I can give a long list

PostWed Oct 06, 2004 8:43 pm

My dream organs would be:

Ottobueren, Riepp organ

Leeuwarden, Christiaan Muller organ

Groningen, Martinikerk Schnitger

Helmond, St. Lambertuskerk, Robustelly-Smits organ

Steenwijk, Grote kerk, large Van Oeckelen organ early 19th C.

Leiden, St. Pieterskerk, early 17th C. Van Hagerbeer organ (3 man/ped in
meantone)

Leiden, Hooglandse kerk, another fantastic 17th C. organ

Steeles Tavern, Virginia, Presb. Church, small Tayor & Boody organ with a
great old sound

Clifton Forge, Taylor & Boody witha very suplesse sound

Zuidbroek, Ref. Chhurch, (Hinsch designed) Freytag organ, 2 man. ped.

Aarle-Rixtel, Smits irgan 19th century, 3 man. ped, wonderful! Also larger
Smits organ in Oirschot

Berlin, Dom, Sauer organ (wow!)

Alkmaar, St. Laurens, main organ (Schnitger Jr.)

Paris, Madeleine, Cavaille-Coll organ (I like this one the best)

St. Maximin de Provence, large french baroque organ

Tholen, OLV, Van Dam, 1832, 3 man. ped.

Deventer, Grote kerk, Holtgrave organ 3 man. ped.

Nijmegen, Main church, 1776, Konig, 3 man. ped.

Noordwolde, Groniognen, main chucch, 1640, 2 man. ped. (very auithentic sound)

Gronignen, Nieuwe Kerk, Timpe, 3 man. ped. Also his smaller organ in Middelbert (2 man., pped)

Edam, Grote Kerk, Barent Smit 1663 (went to England)

Vollenhove, Main Church

SPAIN: some great double fronted organs, like Salamanca, etc., also the Spanish organ in the Cathedral of Mexico City.

Add to this smaller organs by Cliquot, Schnitger, Batz, Vater, Muller, Hinsch, Freytag, Cav-Coll, etc.

This is for now my main Dream list.

Return to General discussion