It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:57 pm

Zwolle Schnitger Sample Set released

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

zurek

Zwolle Schnitger Sample Set released

PostWed Jan 30, 2008 5:04 am

Finally, after 4 months of intensive work, the sample set derived from the audio material recorded in Zwolle, is released. I will start distribution of the sample set in 14 days, after the very final revision of the sample set is complete (still about 1-2 weekends needed for this job). In the meantime, you can at least pre-view the sound of the sample set and its 3 variations (dry, wet, surround - yes, this is the new feature introduced by Sonus Paradisi). Please, forgive the midi-performance, no live recordings are available yet.
Anyway, I hope that these preliminary demos show part of the plentitude of colors this organ offers, also, the first demo, the Bruhns prelude shows various plenum registrations. I think that I removed the unwanted "neo-baroque" timbre of the plenums, but try to judge yourself.

http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/organs/zwolle/history.0.asp

I hope there are not much errors in the presentation, I am very bussy examining students in these days and there is almost no time left for other things... I am sorry.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz

Gert

PostWed Jan 30, 2008 8:41 am

Congratulations Jiri!
As expected, enormous memory requirements.
I think most of us have a maximum of 4 GB. However may be this sample set is useful when we make some 'sub organs' (with some ranks disabled).
But what about the price? Is it comparable with the low threshold Litomysl price?

Best regards,

Gert

Grant_Youngman

PostWed Jan 30, 2008 1:27 pm

It sounds gorgeous! I noticed my wallet feeling lighter already :)
Grant

Grant_Youngman

PostThu Jan 31, 2008 4:16 pm

Grant_Youngman wrote:It sounds gorgeous! I noticed my wallet feeling lighter already :)

Has anyone run across the pricing on this set? It doesn't appear to be posted yet at Sonus Paradisi.
Grant

Anton Heger

PostFri Feb 01, 2008 2:03 am

Probably the price depends on the number of sales.
Just as he did with St. Maximim.

gecko

PostFri Feb 01, 2008 10:16 am

And Jiri definitely gets credit for being the first Hauptwerk organ producer to quote Karl Popper.

Who's going to be first with Wittengenstein?
I still have a very small website
http://dustyfeet.com

zurek

PostFri Feb 01, 2008 11:03 am

Well, and I think the first to mention H. G. Gadamer. But I am not sure:-) The Wittgensteinian reminiscence should go along the line: the pipe which cannot speak has to remain silent, or so...

As far as the pricing is concerned: it will depend on the number of users buying the sample set in the introductory period (as it was the case with St. Maximin). Furthermore, the price will certainly not exceed the usual EUR per stop conventions of Sonus Paradisi. On the other hand, I have to calculate the price so that I will earn back the investments into the development of the sample set and that which went (and will go) to the acoustic analysis of the audio material recorded in Zwolle.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

[)Naeryl(]

PostMon Feb 04, 2008 1:10 pm

The Mp3 demonstrations show a very good sound. Jiri, when do you speak of "removing the unwanted neo-baroque sound", what do you mean ? (equalisation, modification of attack noise, .... ?)

zurek

PostTue Feb 05, 2008 2:36 am

Well, I know the recording of 1962 by Dr. Rheinberger made in Zwolle soon after the reconstruction of the organ. It is very significant, that this recording is typically neo-baroque sounding: extremely pungent mixtures and overall predominance of sharpness, some reeds not ballanced as we would like to hear them right now, perhaps too high pressure, bad temperament. The most of the illness affected reeds and mixtures. However, over the years, Flentrop performed a series of changes which result in different sound, more ballanced, I would say. So, I think the neo-baroque is nearly gone in the instrument itself. Still, I changed the ballance of some stops - especially mixtures, reeds and some principals so that it sounds as I myself think the sound of Zwolle should be (I am not pretending to voice it as Schnitger would...). Also, I added the Meantone tuning chart (to be installed together with the sample set) which still adds some necessary timbre to the organ. Also, I performed a series of voicing corrections, for example I have slightly increased the delay of the attack of many of the reeds, equalizing their tone color and so on. Most of the work, as I said was done with reeds and mixtures.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

Anton Heger

PostWed Feb 06, 2008 10:51 am

Hello Jiri,

When can we expect your pricing information?

Anton

bellolid

PostThu Feb 07, 2008 4:31 am

Reading Hw forum,
personally I think that Jiri has sold more Litomysl organ samples
(16bit wet and later dry version) with price 187 Eur then St. Maximin at 380....
My opinions is that the number of purchasers increase a lot (exponential) if the price
remain below 200 eur!
Jiri, is my opinion (and my wish)!
Dario Belloli
Verdello (Italy)

dadams

• Location: Ellicott City MD; and North Beach, NJ...it all depends)

pricing

PostThu Feb 07, 2008 9:09 am

Good thought Dario - bet a lot more sales to us over here in devalued dollar land at a lower number - 300+EU at almost 2:1 is not easily hidden in the monthly budget being 600US$.

no politics, just being hopeful, thats all

dave
"Bach: his mind was universal, his heart was overwhelming, and his spirit transcends over all of God's Creation" Virgil Fox

zurek

PostThu Feb 07, 2008 10:02 am

So, the price information about the Zwolle sample set:
http://www.sonusparadisi.cz/organs/zwolle/payment.0.asp

I hope it is very clear: the more orders during the introductory period (February 28th), the cheaper the sample set can get. However, I cannot afford price similar to the Litomysl as the expenditures to make this set of sample sets were much much higher.

I am also starting shipping the sample set today. I have already 6 orders now, all of them will be shipped within next 2 hours.
Jiri Zurek,
Prague

Jim Reid

PostThu Feb 07, 2008 11:58 am

Oh my! That is US$928 to equal 640 Euro today.....
Jim Reid

telemanr

PostThu Feb 07, 2008 12:03 pm

Jim, Jim, Jim. It's only money!
Get that vegetable garden going and don't forget you can grow your own pineapples. And what about raising your own cattle/hogs/chickens. You'll save tons and you'll still be able to eat.

Rob
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments