It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:40 pm

Silbermann organ of Großhartmannsdorf now available!

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

ReinerS

Silbermann organ of Großhartmannsdorf now available!

PostFri Jan 02, 2009 1:52 pm

Dear all,

first of all let me wish you all a happy, healthy and successfull new year!

I am proud to announce that our new sample set, the Gottfried Silbermann organ of Großhartmannsdorf (please also have a look at these forum threads here and
here) is available for purchase in our online shop.

The introductory price for this sample set will be 225,00Euros (valid until January 31st 2009), afterwards the price will be 285,00 Euros.

As I believe that customers should have the possibility to thoroughly test a set before purchase, a free trial version is also available for download from our server. Since this is a 2.5GB download, I do expect some problems downloading especially during the first days, so please be patient.

Please have a look at the detailed description in the online shop.

Best regards
Reiner

Fokko

PostSat Jan 03, 2009 8:01 am

Hi Reiner,

Last night I downloaded the trialversion and installed it, without any problem.
It sounds really nice but I need some more time to deplore this instrument. For now I have two questions:
First, how to install or activate the extended compass?
Second, in de pedal note Dis I have no sound at all. Is this correct?

Thanks for your answer in advance,

Fokko
Fokko Horst

ReinerS

PostSat Jan 03, 2009 8:21 am

Dear Fokko,

thanks for your interest in the Silbermann organ!
First, how to install or activate the extended compass?
Second, in de pedal note Dis I have no sound at all. Is this correct?

Guess the GUI is unclear in that respect. The five "status indicators" at the bottom of the GUI are actually buttons! Just click on "Compass Original" and it will switch to "Compass Extended". A reload is not required, it always loads all samples. The extended compass also includes the D# in the manuals and pedal.
The same goes with the other buttons: "Pitch 462Hz" will switch to "Pitch 440Hz" when clicked, and immediately tune down the organ to concert pitch.

Best regards
Reiner

ReinerS

PostSat Jan 03, 2009 8:27 am

oops!
extended compass also includes the D# in the manuals and pedal.

It is off course C# which is not available in Original Compass. D# should always play.

Reiner

Fokko

PostSat Jan 03, 2009 8:59 am

Hi,

That helps, in the extended compass C# (not Dis like I wrote before) sounds now, it is not in the original compass.

Fokko
Fokko Horst

Ken

PostMon Jan 05, 2009 11:51 am

Hi Reiner:

I am having some difficulty downloading the trial version, but I think the difficulty is with my ISP (it stops downloading after I receive the first 1 GB). I will get someone else to download it for me.

However, do you have a checksum for the download of the trial version?

Ken

ReinerS

PostMon Jan 05, 2009 1:56 pm

Hello Ken,

just keep trying ;-)

The MD5 checksum of the trial version is
f20e92421571b7baa930533f02cdf470

Best regards
Reiner

imcg110

PostMon Jan 05, 2009 2:17 pm

There are always problems downloading big sample sets. Not a new problem. The most reliable way for me has been using Mozilla Firefox with the "download it all" plugin.

ReinerS

PostMon Jan 05, 2009 2:21 pm

I think the problem is also bigger at the moment since these are the first days the set is up, and so at some times there may be more people trying to download than the hoster is willing to accept.

In one or two days the trial version will also be available for download from the Crumhorn-Labs website, so there will be two sources for the file. That should make it easier for everyone to have a successfull download.

Meanwhile just be a bit patient, and if you managed to get it, enjoy!

Best regards
Reiner

Jan Klepac

PostTue Jan 06, 2009 1:11 pm

Thank you for the free download! Bad denoicing can be noticed in the demo samples. I never should buy such a sample set, sorry. There are remnants of surround noises in many samples (people walking around? and other artifacts) while the overall heavy dehissing takes away the natural speech of pipes. ...reminds me of the first days of Hauptwerk 1 and the sample sets of that old time... sorry, perhaps this is due to the fact that it was recorded originally for different platform which might be not that demanding as Hauptwerk... don't know. Please, remember that hi-end Hauptwerk users have very sharp ears!

ReinerS

PostTue Jan 06, 2009 2:21 pm

Dear Jan,

thank you for checking out the trial version. I take your post very seriously and am in the process of reviewing all samples carefully again. So far neither I nor my beta testers had discovered artefacts in them, but I'll double check to be sure.

Regarding denoising: As you know it always is a compromise. It is absolutely vital to get rid of most of the blower noise, since that is otherwise multiplied by the number of samples playing at any given time, at the same time it is just as vital to be careful to preserve the original sound of the samples. I am using Adobe Audition, which has very high quality denoising filters, and I think the settings I selected do make a good compromise. Actually no dehissing was applied, the denoising filters are far more elaborate than simple hissing filters. I listened to the pipe speeches very carefully to take away as little as possible there, naturally they are the most senible part when it comes to any kind of filtering.

If you don't like the result, that's perfectly ok, everybody is entitled to have his/her own judgement. This is precisely what the trial version is good for, to allow all potential customers to make a sound decision based on their own, rather than relying on a few demos and other peoples opinion.

Best regards
Reiner

martinus

PostTue Jan 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Hello Reiner,

Your downloaded Silbermann sounds like the original!
The only note that sounds after the key is pressed, is the mixtuur E5.
I think that the organ shows much character.
Keep up the good work!

Martinus C van Herk
Patience is a virtue

mcvanherk@gmail.com

Gert

PostSat Jan 10, 2009 5:33 am

Hi all,
I added a page with an amaturistic review and recordings of this sample set with clear and transparent sound and a nice 'Silbermann Prestant 8':
http://www.pcorgan.com/SampleSets1741Gr ... orfEN.html

It's the fifth Silbermann and the third organ from 1741.
Best regards,
Gert

ReinerS

PostSun Jan 11, 2009 2:49 pm

Thanks Gert!
A well written review and lovely playing!

I also would like to inform everybody that the trial version can now also be downloaded from the Crumhorn-Labs server.So, if you are having problems downloading from my site,just try this second source.

Thanks Brett for hosting it!

Best regards
Reiner

ReinerS

PostFri Jan 16, 2009 2:23 am

Hi all,

this may be of interest to our german speaking readers:
A new review of the Großhartmannsdorf set (German only) can be found on Dieter Thomsens Orgelbits website.

Best regards
Reiner
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments