It is currently Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 pm

Early info on two upcoming sample sets from Pipeloops

Existing and forthcoming Hauptwerk instruments, recommendations, ...
  • Author

ReinerS

Early info on two upcoming sample sets from Pipeloops

PostThu Aug 13, 2009 9:14 am

Hello all,

I would like to give you some early information on two new sample sets that we are working on.

The first is a rather small, but very interesting instrument. It is a new organ built by the german builder Albert Baumhoer closely following design principles by Cavaillé-Coll. The organ was built in 2006 for the church in Bielefeld Stieghorst. It is very different from the majority of modern small organs, which are mostly built along baroque design principles (at least in Germany). Much of the design and conceptual work for this instrument has been done by Peter Ewers, who is an expert on Cavaillé-Coll organs (and who, btw, is also doing the actual recording of the samples). The specification of this little beauty is listed below:

I. Grand-Orgue-expressif (C-g''')
1. Bourdon 16'
2. Montre 8'
3. Flûte harmonique 8'
4. Prestant 4'
5. Doublette 2' (from GO: Plein-Jeu)
6. Plein-Jeu4 rangs

II. Récit-expressif (C-g''')
7. Cor de nuit 8'
8. Viole de Gambe 8'
9. Voix céleste 8'
10. Flûte octaviante 4'
11. Basson-Hautbois 8'
12. Trompette harmonique 8'

Pédales (C-f''')
13. Soubasse 16' (from GO: Bourdon 16')
14. Flûte 8' (from GO: Flûte harmonique 8')

Pédales de Combinaison
1. Tirasse Grand-Orgue (I-P)
2. Tirasse Récit (II-P)
3. Copula du Récit au Grand-Orgue (II-I)
4. Oktave Grave Récit sur Grand-Orgue (16-II-I)

Expression du Grand-Orgue
Expression du Récit

You can see that this is a rather unusual specification for a modern organ, but it is very similar to small organs built by Cavaillè-Coll, and the stops are built and voiced in a similar manner.

Peter Ewers has set up a nice website for this instrument (unfortunately only in German) with some pictures, recordings and details about the philosophy behind it. The sound produced by just eleven ranks is quite impressive!

I think this instrument will make a very nice addition to the growing Hauptwerk library. The recordings, which will take place shortly, will be done in 24bit 96kHz and four channels to allow for making a surround sound set! Naturally, multiple release layers, keyboard noises and all those things will be recorded also. I do hope that I will be able to offer you this set in time for Christmas (2009 of course!!).

The second instrument is somewhat bigger and no less interesting. It is also a fairly recent instrument build following a historical predecessor: It is the organ in the monastery of Riddagshausen (Braunschweig), built by Albert Führer in 1979 as a reconstruction (although reduced in size) of the previous organ that was built by Compenius the younger in 1610. I think this instrument will add its own distinctive sound colour to the collection of available instruments. Here is the disposition:

Rückpositiv (I) C-g'''
Gedackt 8'
Quintadena 8'
Prinzipal 4'
Flöte 4'
Spitzflöte 2’
Quinte 1 1/3'
Sesquialtera 2 2/3'+1 3/5'
Scharff 4fach 1'
Schalmey 8'
Tremulant regelbar (adjustable)

Hauptwerk (II) C-g'''
Bordun 16'
Prinzipal 8'
Rohrflöte 8'
Oktave 4'
Holzflöte 4'
Nasard 2 2/3'
Gemshorn 2'
Mixtur 5fach 1 1/3'
Trompete 8'
Koppel BW/HW
Koppel RP/HW

Brustwerk (III) C-g'''
Holzgedackt 8'
Rohrflöte 4'
Prinzipal 2'
Oktave 1'
Zimbel 3fach 1/2'
Vox humana 8'
Tremulant regelbar (adjustable)

Pedal C-f'
Subbaß 16'
Prinzipalbaß 8'
Gedacktbaß 8'
Oktave 4'
Hintersatz 4fach 4'
Posaune 16'
Trompete 8'
Koppel RP/P
Koppel HW/P
Koppel BW/P

We will record this also with four channels, naturally with multiple release layers (the monastery church has a rather long reverb) and keyboard noises etc. I hope to be able to do the recordings this year, so the set should be ready sometime in spring.

Interestingly one of our forum members, Eric Dalest, has just recently played a recital there for their 30th organ anniversary concert series! Too bad I was not able to attend this!

I am very much interested in your feedback / suggestions regarding these two organs.

dalest

Re: Early info on two upcoming sample sets from Pipeloops

PostThu Aug 13, 2009 9:50 am

yes, and it's a very beautifull organ :
you can see my improvisation on youtube :

PART 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CQNKN6p ... annel_page

and the End PART 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXSfNQt5 ... annel_page

bye bye

pgcrowe

PostThu Aug 13, 2009 11:34 pm

Is there a possibility that a stereo dry/semi dry recording will be made of either the Albert Führer, or Albert Baumhoer organs?
To me, the addition to the Hauptwerk library of two dry instrument the quality/character of the above would be fantastic!

ReinerS

PostMon Aug 17, 2009 8:40 am

dalest wrote:yes, and it's a very beautifull organ :
you can see my improvisation on youtube :

PART 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CQNKN6p ... annel_page

and the End PART 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXSfNQt5 ... annel_page

bye bye

Hello Eric,

thanks for posting these links, I enjoyed very much listening to (and watching) your performance! Great!!!

pgcrowe wrote:Is there a possibility that a stereo dry/semi dry recording will be made of either the Albert Führer, or Albert Baumhoer organs?
To me, the addition to the Hauptwerk library of two dry instrument the quality/character of the above would be fantastic!

I am certainly looking into this and if there is sufficient interest, it is likely to happen. However, the initial release will be the "wet" version for both instruments, and work on a possible semi-dry set would start sometimes next year.

Best regards
Reiner

dalest

PostMon Aug 17, 2009 9:05 am

thank you !^^

pgcrowe

PostMon Aug 17, 2009 10:46 am

ReinerS wrote:
pgcrowe wrote:Is there a possibility that a stereo dry/semi dry recording will be made of either the Albert Führer, or Albert Baumhoer organs?

I am certainly looking into this and if there is sufficient interest, it is likely to happen. However, the initial release will be the "wet" version for both instruments, and work on a possible semi-dry set would start sometimes next year.

Sounds Great! Or I suppose alternatively "Swell, and or Positive"!

HDKarras

PostThu Aug 20, 2009 3:55 am

Hello,

two corrections:
- the right name of our organ builder is Alfred Führer (Wilhelmshaven).
- the barock organ was build in 1615 from Esaias Compenius the youth. Some of flute pipes in Positiv are original but not the whole stop. The 4' Flute in the Positiv are wonderful. The church has reverberation about 10-12 seconds in deep frequencys.

Hans-Dieter Karras
Organist of the former cloisterchurch St.Maria Riddagshausen
Hans-Dieter Karras

ReinerS

First recording of the organ

PostWed Aug 26, 2009 2:00 am

HDKarras wrote:Hello,

two corrections:
- the right name of our organ builder is Alfred Führer (Wilhelmshaven).
- the barock organ was build in 1615 from Esaias Compenius the youth. Some of flute pipes in Positiv are original but not the whole stop. The 4' Flute in the Positiv are wonderful. The church has reverberation about 10-12 seconds in deep frequencys.

Hans-Dieter Karras
Organist of the former cloisterchurch St.Maria Riddagshausen

Thanks for the corrections (and sorry for the errors!)

Yesterday we did some initial recording tests, mainly to check equipment and microphone positions. I would like to share a beautiful recording with you, Hans-Dieter Karras improvising "Symphonic Choral on Sonne der Gerechtigkeit". I am mainly posting this so you can get an impression of the wonderful sound of the organ and the great acoustics of the church. This recording was done using a (homemade) OSS-disc and two Microtech-Gefell Mk221 micros. Those are measurement microphones with a frequency response from 3.5 Hz (!!!) to 20kHz +/- 2dB and with an extremely neutral and clear sound. The signal went straight through a Focusrite Saffire LE into a notebook, recorded with 24bit 96kHz. Unfortunately one of the Saffire preamps is broke, so I recorded using the line inputs. This lead to some background noise produced by the Saffire, which I had to filter out. In a few weeks I will make some more test recordings using different settings for surround recording. Perhaps I'll make an online survey out of that to see what settings is most favorable.

Naturally I also took some pictures of the organ, so here is a nice shot on which you can also see the OSS-disc with the mikes.

Enjoy the recording!

Best regards
Reiner

martinus

PostWed Aug 26, 2009 11:17 am

Hello Reiner,

Beautiful looking and great sounding Pipe Organ!
Keep up the good work.

Best Regards,

Martinus C van Herk
Patience is a virtue

mcvanherk@gmail.com

Fokko

PostThu Aug 27, 2009 4:33 am

ReinerS wrote:I am mainly posting this so you can get an impression of the wonderful sound of the organ and the great acoustics of the church.

Thanks for this demo. Just great sound of the organ and acoustics, I love it, and I will wait for new demo's.
I hope you will use the multi-release sampling method?
Fokko Horst

ReinerS

PostThu Aug 27, 2009 5:33 am

Fokko wrote:
ReinerS wrote:I am mainly posting this so you can get an impression of the wonderful sound of the organ and the great acoustics of the church.

Thanks for this demo. Just great sound of the organ and acoustics, I love it, and I will wait for new demo's.
I hope you will use the multi-release sampling method?

Hello Fokko,

glad you like the sound.
We will record this also with four channels, naturally with multiple release layers (the monastery church has a rather long reverb) and keyboard noises etc.

guess that answers your question!

Best regards
Reiner

Fokko

PostThu Aug 27, 2009 1:46 pm

ReinerS wrote:guess that answers your question!

Hi Reiner,
Just to be sure. There are others published by Pipeloops with " dated" (sorry) sources with no release sampling.

Well, I do listen the demo again (really nice playing) just this moment and wonder if you have plans to sample the trem too. That would be great.
Fokko Horst

ReinerS

PostThu Aug 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Just to be sure. There are others published by Pipeloops with " dated" (sorry) sources with no release sampling.

Yes, that's true. The older samples recorded by Peter Ewers were recorded without extra release layers, and I pioneered the technique to add them using convolution reverb. Naturally, while this is a great improvement over not having any extra layers at all, all new recordings we are doing will have extra release layers.
and wonder if you have plans to sample the trem too

As a matter of fact I'm planning to do that. The wave-form tremulant model, while working very well for dry sample sets, is in my opinion not suited at all for very wet acoustics.

Best regards
Reiner

www.orgeljournal.de

PostFri Aug 28, 2009 7:18 am

ReinerS wrote:The first is a rather small, but very interesting instrument. It is a new organ built by the german builder Albert Baumhoer closely following design principles by Cavaillé-Coll. The organ was built in 2006 for the church in Bielefeld Stieghorst. It is very different from the majority of modern small organs, which are mostly built along baroque design principles (at least in Germany). Much of the design and conceptual work for this instrument has been done by Peter Ewers, who is an expert on Cavaillé-Coll organs (and who, btw, is also doing the actual recording of the samples).

http://www.ev-kirche-stgh.de/Ansichten/Kircheinnen.jpg

A really nice and singular object! I hope to get a good instrument model like the OrganART Media Duurswoude (but with more practise possibilities). Perhaps it's like an organ you are sitting at.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Matthias

www.Orgeljournal.de
Hauptwerk-News jetzt unter Aktuelles!
www.Youtube.com/Orgeljournal

Fokko

PostFri Aug 28, 2009 12:48 pm

ReinerS wrote:and wonder if you have plans to sample the trem too

As a matter of fact I'm planning to do that. The wave-form tremulant model, while working very well for dry sample sets, is in my opinion not suited at all for very wet acoustics.

Well, I would keep myself informed about the progress of this project!
Fokko Horst
Next

Return to Hauptwerk instruments