It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:42 pm

hauptwerk on Multiple computers

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

armorsecsys

PostFri Mar 04, 2005 9:20 am

The original article posted some months ago gave the cost. It wasn't exactly "in our league" and the system was proprietary.

I was only using that as an example. With the Hauptwerk software that is being made, it will do what that software currently does and will be cheaper. Thats my whole point.

Matthew

dna

PostSun Mar 13, 2005 6:03 pm

mdyde wrote:Hauptwerk v2 will actually have native functionality to run distributed across several computers. ... One computer acts as the 'master' and handles all MIDI and the main physical models, and ranks are assigned to the other slave computers which simply act as voice generators. ... The main benefit would be to people who already have several fairly powerful PCs, but none powerful enough on its own, or who have one fairly powerful PC and could add another rather than having to replace it with a single 'super computer'.
This is good news. Another benefit would be for people who want (and can afford) to emulate an organ that would require more computer speed and memory size than even the latest top-end cutting-edge PC can provide. (Such an organ could be created from multiple sample sets, extended ranks, etc.)

Another option would be to use multiple high-end PC's each running a reduced number of "voice generators" along with CPU intensive impulse response convolution reverb.

Yet another advantage would be the ability to expand a single PC in the future as sample sets grow in size and perhaps future versions of Hauptwerk demand greater CPU speed.

Martin, do you have any guess as to what percentage of the CPU load is involved in handling all MIDI and the main physical models? Do you think there would be a significant advantage in a 2-PC master/slave hauptwerk system over just a single PC of the same speed as each of the ones in the 2-PC system? Or would the main advantage be in system with 3 or more PC's?
-David-NA

mdyde

PostMon Mar 14, 2005 7:01 am

At a very rough guess, I would imagine that a two-PC system would have something like 1.75 times the polyphony of a single PC system, but I will only be able to give any realistic benchmarks when it is working.

Martin.
Previous

Return to General discussion