It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:36 am

Ariaan Hoogendijk 'Company' / Toccata Records

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

BachsFugue

On the horizon

PostMon Nov 03, 2003 11:17 am

If we look around the corner, we shall see 64 bit processors and mainboards on the market at reasonable prices. Concomitantly, we should also see an increase in the amount of addressable memory which users of Hauptwerk surely will use with great facility.

Therefore, we should not hold anyone back in the production of larger and larger organ sample sets. The only real drawback I can see looming in the corners is screen capacity. A large instrument would not be viewed easily given the present screen setup. Perhaps Martin Dyde has already addressed this eventuality in the upcoming version 2 of Hauptwerk?

Anyone who is willing should plow ahead to produce whatever sample set(s) desired without respect to size. Smaller Organ Definition Files can always be extracted from large sets. With 1.5 GB of memory, I have already experienced the need to do this with the St. Anne set when I load it in stereo.

Cole Votaw
Cole Votaw -- Springfield, Ohio, USA

8ftStop

Re: ROMANTIC please

PostTue Nov 04, 2003 8:49 pm

I am starting to sample a nice American Classic Schantz - is anyone interested in THAT?

Jonathan[/quote]

Yes, I'm very interested. Since I live near Schantz headquarters, there are lots of Schantz organs in this area. Some are very fine. Recently, I suggested to a Hauptwerk sample recordist that it would be nice to have a Schantz library, but he was not interested. Also, I am a substitute organist, and about half of my playing jobs are on Schantz instruments, so it would be nice to practice using the types of sounds I will have at my disposal during the service. Please keep me posted on your progress!

Scott Duncan
sduncan53@hotmail.com

G'day

PostWed Nov 05, 2003 11:39 pm

Hello Ariaan,
If you are still offering, and I am still dreaming, I submit my 'wishlist' of organs you may possibly sample. Most are small obscure instruments passed over by history.
1. Compenius Organ, St Fredericksborg Castle; I would give you my first-born for this sample set, except she's married, and her husband might object. 2. Cavaille-Coll, Eglise de la Trinite, Paris; I'd give my right hand for this sample set, except that would defeat the point, wouldn't it? Unless I only played Bach's famous six duo sonatas for organ written as practise pieces for his other son, EineHandZweiLinkeFüße Bach. 3. Von Beckerath, St. Paul's Church, Hamm, Westfalen; I'd give my eye teeth for this sample set, except that my eye teeth are false teeth, of questionable value to others. And last, 4. The Mighty Compton Organ, AnyTown Hall, England. Hey, Wurlitzer isn't the only theater organ with muscle don't cha know! I can't say exactly what I'm willing to part with for that sample set, but there is bound to be an exception to it somewhere.
I hope this has been a help in your search Ariaan. Great Work!
G'day

Calcant

PostThu Nov 06, 2003 5:15 am

Givro wrote:"...also, I saw recently a 4GB motherboard at the electronics warehouse..."
We should be patient in this respect. I did a little research here. There are some fringe conditions connected to expanding RAM beyond 3.2GByte. It is true that Win XP can address 4 GByte but always needs some RAM space for the PCI addresses. In 32bit operating systems the general limit is 3.2 to 3.5GByte, b u t the operating system kernel always occupies 2GByte so that n o application programm ever has a chance to get more than 2GByte allocated (exception is servers running under special windows server versions. These allow max. 3GByte).
The big step forward will be possible if

- we have a 64 bit operating system
- there are 64 bit CPUs available (and don't cost a fortune)
- the application program supports full 64 bit operation (Martin?)
Since the introduction of Windows XP Professional 64 Bit edition has been announced only for spring 2004 there is a loong way to go. Let's be modest and play the wonderful 24 to 30 stop organs for a while.
It´s a virtue to be well-tempered.
German speaking readers are invited to visit http://www.orgelbits.de for info about HW subjects.

Jon Hammond

PostThu Nov 06, 2003 6:47 am

Calcant! Thanks for the concise explanation. There is a term"paging file" where Microsoft provides instructions for increasing paging file size beyond 2-Gb. Is this part of the subject? It sounds like a moot point anyway. Another frustration is the current cost and quality of system memory. Here, we use the IS7-E board with three 512 chips, soon to receive number four. The board is rated for 4-Gb running at 800 Mhz FSB. Try find 1-Gb sticks of ram at reasonable prices when comparing the prices of DDR 3200 for 512K and 1-Gb. It appears that another six months is needed until 1-Gb sticks become more accessible. However, 45 stops could possibly be accomodated with 2-Gb using short reverb or supplemental reverb. Consider the Father Willis-Truro Cathedral organ as a worthy Romantic model, as does Christopher Herrick in "Organ Dreams No. 3"! Danke ... Jon H.

Calcant

PostThu Nov 06, 2003 12:38 pm

Jon,
to my knowledge the paging file uses HD space as virtual memory. I guess whether this is a feasible method for HW might be best answered by Martin.
As to the RAM sticks I had similar problems. I recommend filling all RAM slots right at the time of mainboard purchase with maximum capacity, using 512MB chunks. The Asus P4 PE I am using only supports 1GByte modules in case one needs 2GByte RAM. This is also the maximum capacity possible. I wished someone would find an elegant way out.
It´s a virtue to be well-tempered.
German speaking readers are invited to visit http://www.orgelbits.de for info about HW subjects.

mdyde

PostThu Nov 06, 2003 3:52 pm

A 64-bit version of Hauptwerk 2.xx will certainly be forthcoming when 64-bit XP is available.

The page file is simply memory overspill and is too slow to be used by Hauptwerk. It is best to set the page file size to 0 to prevent Windows attempting to use one when you don't expect it, although it does sometimes insist on re-enabling it without giving you the opportunity to stop it.

Martin.
Previous

Return to General discussion