It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:33 am

Introduction

A discussion forum for anything even marginally Hauptwerk-related.
  • Author

johnh

Introduction

PostSat Mar 15, 2003 6:57 pm

Greetings,

John here from Santa Cruz, CA. I have experimented a bit with Hauptwerk but at this point lack sufficient RAM to do it justice. I am very interested in MIDI, Pipe Organs, and a combination of the two. I have started experimenting with a pipe organ ( 4 ranks, TC) controlled by custom interfaces designed by a friend. These allow a PC with MIDI to control the organ. I hope to eventually have 15-20 ranks controlled both from a conventional console and MIDI. I see Hauptwerk as an option for providing additional voices to the ensemble. It's all an experiment/hobby and I'm, having fun. I've got a small page at:

http://www.haskey.com/johnh/organ/opus_1/Opus_1.html

that has a brief description of where I'm at. There is a second page at:

http://www.haskey.com/yappi

that describes the MIDI interface boards that my friend designed.

I'd like to hear what folks think would be the ultimate PC on which to load Hauptwerk. I'd like to know what I'm shooting for... :)

Bach-Wannabe

Re: Introduction

PostSat Mar 15, 2003 7:08 pm

[quote="johnh"]I'd like to hear what folks think would be the ultimate PC on which to load Hauptwerk. I'd like to know what I'm shooting for... :)[/quote]

A good video card. One with lots of memory. Oh and a good keyboard, preferably a black one. :)

I think Hauptwerk only depends on three things - CPU, RAM, and a good sound card. Pretty much as much of the three you can afford. CPUs (not the newest ones) are fairly cheap, and RAM is pretty cheap, as long as you stick to 512MB chips or smaller. Any sound card will do (I don't know how much of a difference you'll hear, but maybe you can increase the volume higher in Hauptwerk with a better card). I have the MAudio Audiophile 2496 ($150) just for this program, and it seems to be good. Anyway it's RCA in/out which is nice.

edit- hhmm can't seem to get 'quotes' to work.

jocr

PostSat Mar 15, 2003 7:44 pm

If you're buying fresh, try to get a motherboard that supports up to 3 Gig of memory - there are some large organs in the works that will use all of it. You can buy the expensive 1 gig strips later, maybe they'll come down in price. Right now 1.5 gig seems to handle everything that's available.

Latest developments render this remark totally irrelevant, but you can't argue with progress.

James Pressler as of 9/12/2007
Last edited by jocr on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bach-Wannabe

PostSat Mar 15, 2003 9:05 pm

[quote="jocr"]there are some large organs in the works[/quote]

Any info on these? Ones you're working on?

Return to General discussion